Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

1983 Trans am stalling and surge issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700r4
1983 Trans am stalling and surge issue

The car has the Crossfire 305 with a 700r4 transmission. It will start up within the first 5 seconds of cranking then idles sporadically, usually between 1000-1500 rpm. The check engine light is off. I have replaced the TPS, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and plug wires.

After it warms up the idle calms down and usually stays around 1200. When I try to take off the car surges and stutters then stalls out. I can push the accelerator to the floor and it sounds awful and barely gets over 2500 rpm.
My injectors are spraying in a nice even cone and not dripping at all. This problem has been happening for a little over two weeks. It happens after I drive somewhere and turn the car off and sometimes while I'm driving at slow speeds.

The car also does not run with the PCV valve connected. I bought a new one and tried that and it still stalled out when it was connected. I have tried to install it then start the car, it won't start and just cranks. There is another vacuum leak but it has been leaking for over 4 months and makes no difference if it's plugged or not. I usually run a half can of seefoam in the tank every month but I have not done that in two months. I am going to do the third in gas, oil, and intake tomorrow and see if that helps anything.

A fair amount of white smoke is coming out of the valve cover breather and into the air cleaner. There is also a good amount coming out of the PCV valve cover hole. That started happening at the same time as the stalling and surging problem.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45
Re: 1983 Trans am stalling and surge issue

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Id double check every vacuum hose and gasket and fix the ones you know you have. Then I'd seal off the throttle body with a bag or tape and puff a cigar and blow it into different vacuum lines and see if any smoke comes out of any places. That way you can rule out vacuum leaks entirely