Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fast- Flash programmer

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 z28
Engine: first gen small block 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock
Fast- Flash programmer

i received my programmer today. I did some research and decided i wanted to go with a f.a.s.t (comp cams) product.

i ordered their fast-flash handheld unit for 98-04 ls based engines.

what made me want this one, was im able to program in a aftermarket camshaft

i have a howards cam, its very similar to the gm hot cam.

so i set it all up. and it does start good on cold starts( always did) but on hot starts it used to start pretty shitty, never wanted to find the idle, well now it will start better but i still have to give it a little gas to find the idle.

now i set the idle up higher, the stock setting was around 550, im running the 4L60E trans.

i bumped it up to 650-700 but even with that seems a little low.
i also set the timing advanced to +10. after i did that it seems to be idling better but still not the way i want it.

the cam was a 219-228 duration with a 112 lobe separation.

so i guess i was just curious if anyone else was using this programmer and have any tips for it.

it just seems like with having a cam like that it needs more air for it and it struggles sometimes to get it.
would a bigger throttle body help? im using a stock ls1 intake and throttle body.
i was using this tuner for now till i can get a legit tune from a shop next spring.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Fourth Gen '94 camaro
Engine: 350 Gen II
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Fast- Flash programmer

Im not real familiar with the '84 tune but it sounds like an idle air control (IAC) vlv issue. I think u set up the IAC by using the min idle speed for your car. With your new cam it should be significantly higher - i would try like 850rpm. Then your IAC control point (min rpm) in the software should be above that idle speed. It (hopefully) makes the IAC control above min idle speed.

Hope that makes sense and let us know if it helps.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Iroc
Engine: modified 350
Transmission: high performance built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3:73

CardoO is right your idle speed should be at least 850 rpm with that cam.The tune will get better the more you drive your Camaro.Did you set the IAC reference point.That's the first thing your supposed to do.Key on engine off open your throttle body as far as it will go and release it.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 z28
Engine: first gen small block 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock

Originally Posted by Steve Mack
CardoO is right your idle speed should be at least 850 rpm with that cam.The tune will get better the more you drive your Camaro.Did you set the IAC reference point.That's the first thing your supposed to do.Key on engine off open your throttle body as far as it will go and release it.

I bumped up the idle, my scan tool was reading around 750-780 but I'll bump it up more now. I did not relearn the iac or tp positions. I'm going to the store right now actually to get a new tp sensor. I took it off the other day and who ever had the intake and throttle body before I bought it made the mounting holes bigger so it might be off in its placement.

It'll idle good now but if I rev it up to say 3k and it goes to idle down it still stumbled to find the set idle speed a couple times before leveling off