Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Where should I start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: V6
Where should I start?

I'm new to cars, I don't know much about them. But I am decent with a wrench and like to figure out how things work, so I want to start learning.

My car is an 89 Firebird. It belonged to my grandfather, and then when he passed, my Mom. It pretty much just been sitting in the driveway for about 6 years. Almost a year ago it was reported to code enforcement for non-registered/non-op, so we had to move it to a family's fenced yard. My parents wanted to sell it, but never did, and then a tree branch fell and broke the rear hatch. Then they wanted to just sell it for a stupid low price, so I said I would buy it. So now it's my first car.

I'm not trying to restore or mod it a lot (yet). I just want to get it running decent, and keep it maintained.
So all I've done so far is replace the hatch, and charge the battery.
I probably need to change the oil?

What other basic maintenance can I do?
Old 05-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1994 Z28
Engine: 355 LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Where should I start?

A car that hasn't ran in 6 years?
If it hasn't been started yet, I'd pull the spark plugs and spray a generous amount of wd40 into the plug holes in the heads. Leave the spark plugs out and crank the motor over. If it doesn't turn over, you might have to do it with a wrench on the crank bolt. Once broken loose, crank it from the starter for a few seconds to push the wd40 out.

Now is the time to change the plugs, wires, drain the fuel and add fresh fuel, oil & filter. Check the air filter too and fire it up.

It probably needs a bunch of work from sitting. Brakes, brake lines, fuel lines, etc underneath.

It is hard to say exactly what it will need but make sure it's not rotted out and is worth throwing money at.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by zraffz
A car that hasn't ran in 6 years?
If it hasn't been started yet, I'd pull the spark plugs and spray a generous amount of wd40 into the plug holes in the heads. Leave the spark plugs out and crank the motor over. If it doesn't turn over, you might have to do it with a wrench on the crank bolt. Once broken loose, crank it from the starter for a few seconds to push the wd40 out.

Now is the time to change the plugs, wires, drain the fuel and add fresh fuel, oil & filter. Check the air filter too and fire it up.

It probably needs a bunch of work from sitting. Brakes, brake lines, fuel lines, etc underneath.

It is hard to say exactly what it will need but make sure it's not rotted out and is worth throwing money at.
It was started when we moved it almost a year ago. All we had to do was get a new battery to get it to start.

I'll start researching the things you mentioned. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:21 AM

Okay, so it's not as bad as I thought. I was going by the date it was last registered, but my Mom said she drove it a bit when it wasn't registered.
So it was more like not ran for 2-3 years, then driven about 20 miles to move it, then another year.

Should I still change the oil and filter if it only has like 1000 miles on it, but also sitting for ~4 years?

On spark plugs and wires - are they all pretty much the same, or should I look for a specific brand or type?
Old 05-12-2016, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was this car registered as "non-OP" or was it not registered at all?
California is nasty about cars whose registration has lapsed. They expect you to maintain a paid registration even for cars that aren't being driven on the road. It's stupid but if you don't comply, they will murder you with back registration penalties later.
The penalties escalate quickly, so if this car didn't have at least a "non-OP" registration, then you might find that it is prohibitively expensive to register now. If you call DMV they can probably tell you what it owes.
If the penalties are as bad as I fear, then it's possible that selling/registering the car out of state or stripping it for parts might be it's only viable fate.

I've read stories that supposedly if you wait enough years, eventually the VIN will fall out of the state's database so they won't have a record of the penalties, but I have no idea how long that takes. Probably way too long.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: Dad's 87 Bird (Org Owner)
Engine: Vortec 350 Crate Motor
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi

Don't forget to drain out old gas and put in new.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:29 AM

I just got the Haynes Repair Manual I ordered. They sent a book for 82-89. Mine is an 89 so I assume it's okay, but does this book still have everything I need in it?

ISBN 1-85010-614-2

Originally Posted by armos
Was this car registered as "non-OP" or was it not registered at all?
California is nasty about cars whose registration has lapsed. They expect you to maintain a paid registration even for cars that aren't being driven on the road. It's stupid but if you don't comply, they will murder you with back registration penalties later.
The penalties escalate quickly, so if this car didn't have at least a "non-OP" registration, then you might find that it is prohibitively expensive to register now. If you call DMV they can probably tell you what it owes.
If the penalties are as bad as I fear, then it's possible that selling/registering the car out of state or stripping it for parts might be it's only viable fate.

I've read stories that supposedly if you wait enough years, eventually the VIN will fall out of the state's database so they won't have a record of the penalties, but I have no idea how long that takes. Probably way too long.
It wasn't registered at all so it was almost $400. That's still a lot cheaper than getting a new(used) car though, plus this one has sentimental value, being my grandfather's.

Originally Posted by tater
Don't forget to drain out old gas and put in new.
The gas in it was less than a year old, so I'll just fill it up and make sure all the old gas burns before I get it smogged.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:51 PM

Today I replaced my struts and changed my oil. I was going to replace my spark plugs too, but I'm exhausted so I'll do it tomorrow. It took like 6 hours to get this far. Lol, in the youtube videos it takes them like 15 minutes for 1 side. I figured it would take me 30 minutes, maybe up to an hour per side, but not 6 hours total (including a few short breaks and going to the hardware store to get 24mm wrenches, but still)

Old struts were so bad they didn't even go up by themselves.

Last edited by TheYonderGod; 05-24-2016 at 09:56 PM.