TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"FIRST" TPI Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Formula 350 Original Owner
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
"FIRST" TPI Question

I generally can search around on here and find most of my questions answered but I can't find anything on this one (and I find it hard searching for "FIRST" because I get all kinds of results.lol I was looking at FIRST's TPI setup for my '89 Formula 350. At a little over a $1,000 its really not a bad deal in my opinion and I've read a lot of good posts on here about them.

I emailed Ken at FIRST. Ken answered all my questions quickly by email which was very impressive. The only real deal breaker was there is no EGR provision. I want to keep all the emissions on my car.

Has anyone tried to modify their FIRST intake to include a EGR provision?
Old 07-17-2015, 05:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird, 77 Trans Am SE, 86 Z28
Engine: 5.7 HSR, T/A 6.6, empty
Transmission: T-5, TH350, T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi, 3.23 posi, 3.23
Re: "FIRST" TPI Question

I thought I saw more on this subject a long time ago...I did find this about egr..first post....https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/grou...ction-tpi.html I think it was available at some point but maybe only on special request.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by aliceempire
I thought I saw more on this subject a long time ago...I did find this about egr..first post....https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/grou...ction-tpi.html I think it was available at some point but maybe only on special request.
Thanks for the response and link. I contacted Ken at FIRST to get a little more information and he sent me this below.

The fuel injectors do not come with. There are no emissions provisions on the FIRST tpi, so if you need to retain the egr it will not work for you. The FIRST fuel rails do not utilize the in line fuel pressure regulator, so you will need to use an externally mounted one. The throttle body does come with it.

It doesn't appear EGR is a option anymore. I'm not sure if there is a way to modify the stock base to accept a EGR. I want to keep all my emissions stuff in place. At some point my car will be handed down to my kids. I don't want them to have to worry about emissions so I want to keep everything in place on this car.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:10 PM
Supreme Member

I think your best options then are to stay TPI and change runners etc. or find an old super ram. Or give in and slay the egr beast.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:51 PM

I may just stay with the stock TPI unless I see something else I really like. I'm not gonna be racing in this car. I want it to sound good, look good and be dependable. Speed is not the highest concern. I liked the looks of this FIRST setup but I won't get it if I have to remove the EGR. It looks like some of the older FIRST had ERG provisions... I'll keep my eye out and maybe I'll be lucky and come across one of them at some point. My car is not going anywhere. I'll have it as long as I live.lol
Old 07-24-2015, 07:12 PM

Car: 1992 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7 L98

I lived in Virginia for 5 years. Had the EGR off my 1992 the entire time with no adverse effects. Are you wanting to keep the EGR for originality?
Old 07-25-2015, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by PAFORM350
I lived in Virginia for 5 years. Had the EGR off my 1992 the entire time with no adverse effects. Are you wanting to keep the EGR for originality?
\I bought the car new and want to keep it all the emission stuff on it so when my kids get the car someday they won't have any problems with emissions checks. I also think personally if a car comes out with emissions its there for a reason. The cleaner we can keep the air and water in our world the better. I'm not a tree huger but I like to think I try to do my part.

I think with this car I am going to just keep everything stock and improve the exhaust. If I come across one of the earlier FIRST with a EGR provision I would be interested but if not oh well. It mainly think its just a pretty cool looking intake. lol
Old 07-26-2015, 03:44 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by kirkcomer
\ I also think personally if a car comes out with emissions its there for a reason. The cleaner we can keep the air and water in our world the better. I'm not a tree huger but I like to think I try to do my part.
I certainly won't tell you to just get rid of your egr. Though as devil's advocate, years ago my '77 400 past emissions very cleanly with no emissions equipment functioning on it even though the factory equipped it with egr and a converter. And many 5.3L gm trucks didn't have them from the factory. My point being that it doesn't need an egr to be 'clean'. It's certainly debated but it often feels like a band aid fix to emissions. On the other side of the coin people state it cools cylinder temps at cruise speed (the only time its open) and has other benefits but I've never seen actual proof. Just something to think about.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by aliceempire
I certainly won't tell you to just get rid of your egr. Though as devil's advocate, years ago my '77 400 past emissions very cleanly with no emissions equipment functioning on it even though the factory equipped it with egr and a converter. And many 5.3L gm trucks didn't have them from the factory. My point being that it doesn't need an egr to be 'clean'. It's certainly debated but it often feels like a band aid fix to emissions. On the other side of the coin people state it cools cylinder temps at cruise speed (the only time its open) and has other benefits but I've never seen actual proof. Just something to think about.
Not sure if I would ever change my mind but does give me something to think about. Thanks for information.