V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Does seafoam really make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91' Firebird
Engine: 3.1 LH0 V6
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip
Re: Does seafoam really make a difference?

Pull the big line off the engine side of the brake power booster. You'll know its the right one if you can trace it back to the back of the intake.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:21 PM

Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: stock, dynomax turbo exhaust

Originally Posted by K-slice
Pull the big line off the engine side of the brake power booster. You'll know its the right one if you can trace it back to the back of the intake.
I went to pep boys today and bought a can of seafoam, I got the spray, do I just pour it into the throttle body and then turn on the car? And how much do I spray into the tb? Thanks guys.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:44 PM

Start your car, pour it slowly down the TB get it slightly cleaned and then dump enough to make the engine stall out. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, turn the car back on (it may take a minute or two) and go for a quick drive. Don't rev real high for a little bit till you get most of it out of the top end. A friend of mine had an 84 firebird that sat for 4 years, after we got it running i seafoamed it with 2 cans, we filled the garage with so much smoke we couldn't see each other. This stuff really works.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:13 AM

Car: 89 f-bird and some others
Engine: 3.4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I bought a can of it a year ago (it was dented and on sale). Haven't decided if I was going to dump a bit in the oil, gas, or build up the courage to let the brake booster line suck it up. I'm worried about screwing up something in the engine. Everybody elso gets great results though, so I might do it someday.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:01 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L MPFI V6
Transmission: automatic

I used a whole can. Half through a vacuum line and half in the oil. I've noticed some good results, as far as responsiveness, but still noticing a sitcky lifter noise. Smoked like a sumbitch, it was cool. Residential neighborhood FILLED with smoke late at night is funny.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: 2004 LQ4
Transmission: T-5 WC

I did it.. Looked like this. It is a V6 in this car, BTW.

Name:  Picture031.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  85.2 KB
Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 PM

Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 2.8 V6
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open

I just seafoamed my car via the directions on the can but when i pulled the brake booster vac line my car stalled instantly. maybe just a sudden boost of air? I don't know but if that means a problem i'd like to know that too. back on topic... i sucked it up through a small vac line and it smoked and i turned it off, waited 5 minutes and drove. I noticed a little more pickup but later i went to start my car and it took a little longer to start than usual. maybe some residual seafoam. but really the car is noticeable more responsive and honestly it made a big difference in hp. like it feels like 10 hp difference. I like the stuff and i would recommend it to anybody.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:25 PM

Car: 1991 RS V6
Engine: 3.1L V6
Axle/Gears: I have no idea...

Originally Posted by drewman_93
I just seafoamed my car via the directions on the can but when i pulled the brake booster vac line my car stalled instantly. maybe just a sudden boost of air? I don't know but if that means a problem i'd like to know that too. back on topic... i sucked it up through a small vac line and it smoked and i turned it off, waited 5 minutes and drove. I noticed a little more pickup but later i went to start my car and it took a little longer to start than usual. maybe some residual seafoam. but really the car is noticeable more responsive and honestly it made a big difference in hp. like it feels like 10 hp difference. I like the stuff and i would recommend it to anybody.
We don't have anything here in the UK that makes cool clouds of smoke... Just regular add-to-fuel-tank additives. Think I might have to take a look at ordering some of this seafoam from overseas!
Old 02-08-2010, 03:39 PM

Car: 1986 Trans AM
Engine: 305 TPI

Originally Posted by i_love_thirdgen
*subscribe* for all of the white cloud pics that are sure to come

Here ya go...

Old 02-18-2010, 12:46 PM

I bought a can of seafoam for my honda accord coupe yesterday and poured half of it in the engine oil and half in gas tank. according to directions 1 can would treat up to 10 quarts of oil so thats why I only poured in half (its a 3.0L engine). do i need to change oil right after?im reading it works great on the vac line and i'd like to know where to locate that i dont even know what it is.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:02 PM

Car: 1986 Trans AM
Engine: 305 TPI

Originally Posted by hburna
I bought a can of seafoam for my honda accord coupe yesterday and poured half of it in the engine oil and half in gas tank. according to directions 1 can would treat up to 10 quarts of oil so thats why I only poured in half (its a 3.0L engine). do i need to change oil right after?im reading it works great on the vac line and i'd like to know where to locate that i dont even know what it is.

Yes, you should change your oil after about 100 miles and I'd suggest changing the oil filter too.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:24 PM

Car: 91' Firebird
Engine: 3.1 LH0 V6
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip

I have no better way to tell you where your brake booster is than to say it comes off your master cylinders power booster. This is a f-body site, not a honda site.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1996 Camaro, 1985 Camaro
Engine: 3.8, 3.4
Transmission: WC T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23(?), 3.42

Originally Posted by coolrimsatleast
I bought a can of it a year ago (it was dented and on sale). Haven't decided if I was going to dump a bit in the oil, gas, or build up the courage to let the brake booster line suck it up. I'm worried about screwing up something in the engine. Everybody elso gets great results though, so I might do it someday.
I'd be more worried about the process than the result, my engine did not like me disconnecting the brake booster line one bit on my 94 buick century, i had to start it with the line barely on there, pull it and promptly stick my thumb on it, then got down what i could before it backfired or something crazy, scared the hell out of me and i spilled the remainder of what i was holding, bout 1/3 can...still shaking a little,lol, scared the hell out of me....
As a tip, dont use a can lid off a spray paint can, use a water bottle that you can put the vac line all the way down into, probably wont have the problems i did, course i couldn't get it to start with the line disconnected either.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:46 PM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 v6
Transmission: 5 speed Manual

be careful if you chose to disconnect the vaccum line and run it through your intake that way. if you have any exhaust manifold leaks. my exhaust donut gasket was blown and as soon as i started dumping the sea foam in the vacuum line fire came out of the exhaust donut leak. big fire burned up a bunch of wires in a bundle that runs near it.. but i have had success with it in other cars just make sure you dont have any exhaust leaks at or near the manifold it will cause a fire and i mean a big fire had to use a fire extinguisher to get it out.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 rs, 86 Trans Am
Engine: RS-V6... Trans Am-LG4
Transmission: RS-T5... Trans Am 700r4

I did the seafoaming yesterday. It smoked for about 15 minutes in the garage, and then again when I took it out today. I did notice the car started better today (I used to have a loud backfire sound while starting) and it might have run a little smoother.

I was glad when it finally stopped smoking, I think I'm going to do it again real soon, and see if I can get it so it stops smoking in a normal time frame.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Although our business is based on "off-car" cleaning... we still believe that is the most efficient and reliable way to clean injectors. We have also heard some great things about seafoam, so we began doing some research. Feeling confident about the product we have become distributors for the company. Fuel additives/cleaners are not 100% guaranteed, depending on the condition of your injectors,sometimes it is just a quick fix.

We are confident in selling Seafoam because it is EPA-registered.

The other fuel treatment that we carry is Techron. It is made by Chevron and is found in Top Tier Fuels.

Here is some info on the product followed by instructions on how to use it: HOPE THIS IS HELPFULL!

When added to Fuel Tank:

-Cleans FUEL INJECTORS & Carb. Jets
-De-ices & removes moisture
-Cleans carbon as you drive
-Lubricates upper cylinders
-Stabilizes Fuel

When used thru Injection or Carburetor:

-Cleans carbon build up
-cleans intake valves & pistons
-Gives smoother idle
-Cleans catalytic converter odors
-Cures hesitations & pings
-Restores power & pickup

When added to Crankcase (Oil):

-Frees sticky lifters & rings
-Increases R.P.M.’s vacuum & compression
-Cleans dirty parts
-Removes moisture
-Cleans PCV valve systems.

1. With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.
2. Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.
3. Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.
4. Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance.

Attached Thumbnails Does seafoam really make a difference?-2117ks1tzql._sl500_aa230_-1-.jpg   Does seafoam really make a difference?-img_0429.jpg  
Old 03-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Supreme Member

I just realized I didn't do the treatment with a warm engine....oh well, I was going to do it again soon anyway.

BTW, I used the smaller of the two vacuum lines on the back of the plenum, and it still sucked up the fluid in no time flat, just a matter of seconds!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Supreme Member

Just warmed up the engine and added the seafoam again. Dang if that thing isn't smoking as much from the engine as the tailpipes! I wonder what causes that? It doesn't sound like I have a major leak under the hood, but I guess i do. I also hear that it's pretty common on the v6's.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Supreme Member

Did it mae a big difference wth the engine warmed? And bear with me, my damned eybard bre, ie haf the eys n right side dnt wr,,,,
Old 03-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Supreme Member

it smoked more the second time than the first, but in the end I didn't feel any performance increases the second time
Old 03-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

H\w mch m\re? I did it \n my DD and it hardy sm\ed, which made n\ sense, c\nsidering it is n\t a car that was we maintained
Old 03-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Supreme Member

it seemed to run smoother upon acceleration after the seafoam. It just sounded better
Old 03-11-2010, 03:03 PM

Car: 1989 RS
Engine: 350 c.i., carbureted
Transmission: th700r/4

I've been working at an auto parts store for about 2 1/2 years now. I sell Seafoam to just about anybody who will buy it. I have never had anybody ever come back upset about anything related to using Seafoam as I directed them to.

I recommend most people to simply use it in the gas tank, but people with rough idle or stalling problems I recommend running about 1/3 to 1/2 of the can through a vacuum line as described earlier in this thread.

Use Seafoam regularly, such as one can per month or every 1,200 miles for optimum performance. For those states with ethanol enriched gasoline, use it constantly or with some other kind of fuel drier such as Heet.

As for if it clogs fuel filters. I can see it as a possibility if you have a filthy fuel tank or something.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:42 PM

Car: 1986 SC based 82-84 Z28 replica
Engine: 2.8 V6 MPFI
Transmission: TH-700R4

Another Seafoam smokeshow.

1/3 bottle through brake booster vacuum hose, the rest straight into the fuel tank (less than half-full)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPRkowEOjz0

The car has a bunch of different problems so I'm not sure what happened exactly, but it ran WAY better today. It finally didn't feel like it was going lean halfway through the trip home.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:28 PM

Car: 91 Camaro rs
Engine: 3.1

I just seafoamed mine and it made my big cam sound at idle go away .
It idles smooth now though.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:58 PM

Car: 1987 camaro,88 firebird
Engine: 2.8 v6,5.0 tpi
Transmission: manual
Axle/Gears: 3.47

Originally Posted by 2.8RS
If anything you will be helping the environment by making your engine cleaner and run more efficiently but for those 5 mins maybe. Just take the car out a night when there aren't many people on the road who can complain about the cloud.

or you can let it just idle for awhile.. i used it on my tempo and it rlly does work.. just dont drive it let it idle the smoke out
Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 G92 IROC-Z
Engine: 5 Liter 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

I just went and bought some, and I must say, you folks must have some carbon is your air because I did a 1/3 can running, waited 5 and I can do better with my cig. I guess the prev. owner did something.... We'll see what it does for the injectors.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Supreme Member

Well I've used it on my daily driver which runs like crap and my mom's grand am which runs decent, mine smoked a little bit, nothing special though, hers did a pretty good bit on the other hand /shrug.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:53 PM

Car: 1989 G92 IROC-Z
Engine: 5 Liter 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

eh, my car already got a pretty good 2nd gear scratch.. I have a cold idle issue that I am almost positive is dirty injectors. Only time will tell.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:59 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro 'Vert
Engine: 350

Originally Posted by TxTtopZ
I just went and bought some, and I must say, you folks must have some carbon is your air because I did a 1/3 can running, waited 5 and I can do better with my cig. I guess the prev. owner did something.... We'll see what it does for the injectors.

I'm not sure how much the cleanliness of the engine matters, I think it has more to do with the method and quantity. My old firebird smoked less than I thought, but it also took a while to suck through the brake booster vacuum line. I had an old Ford I used in a demo derby, and it sucked up the entire can through the brake booster vacuum line in just a few seconds. With that Ford, it looked like it was on fire there was so much smoke.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Keep in mind that these additives are not "miracle cures" It does depend on the cleanliness and the condition of the engine and the injectors. You can check out my
post...gives instructions on how to use it.