Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Vibration after lt1/t56 install.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration after lt1/t56 install.

I have a vibration at about 80,that i didn't have before the swap. I got the 4th gen driveshaft with the swap and it looks like there is a dampener on the end of the shaft that slides into the trans. I wasn't able to use this shaft its a little too long (yes I know there the same length but it won't fit the dampener wont let it slide into the trans far enough) Has any one else having this problem. The output seal on the trans is also leaking now. there is a little movement in the output shaft when I shake the driveshaft. Should I be able to feel any movement or is the bearing worn and possibly leading to my vibration. One more thing I get chatter from the trans in fourth gear with low rpm and high load. Could this be caused by a worn output bearing? I've changed the trans fluid and absolutely no metal flakes. This is realy driving me nuts I havent been able realt get on it since i did the swap.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '92 RS
Sounds like its definitely the rear seal and bearing in the trans. There should be ZERO play in the driveshaft. Also, consider getting your driveshaft balanced or getting the 4th gen one shortened by about and inch to be able to use it. That alone will get rid of a lot of the vibration.

As far as the chatter, what do you call low rpm and high load? What clutch are you running? You are going to get a little bit of chatter usually, but if its really pronounced, sounds like pressure plate or throwout bearing could be going bad.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thatnks I was pretty sure it was the output bearing but i wanted to be sure before I ripped the trans out. The "chatter" i was talkign aout is not from the clutch I know what that that sounds like and its not it. The noise seems to be coming from the rear of the trans. It almost sounds like I can hear the teeth on the gears hitting each other. Thats the best way I can describe it.