Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

SLP Headers...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2000, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLP Headers...

I recently installed my SLP headers after waiting it out with my Stan's Tri-Y's for a couple years and thought I'd gain some ground clearance back with the Three inch cat back, which I did. What I also gained though, is a driver side header that rubs on my steering shaft when turning, even though I replaced the motor mount.( and my car has never been hit, to cause the rubbing ) And upon installation of the Y-pipe the exhaust man and I found it to be about two inches wider than the installed headers. Another thing, the passenger side header does not square up with the block on the middle two exhaust ports, so I'll either have to machine it a bit to get the proper angle, or find a hellaciously thick gasket to seal the gap. ( any suggestions? ) Other than this, the exhaust sounds mean as Hell, as good as the dual glasspacks I had if not better. And there is no noticable loss of power, low end grunt or otherwise as compared to the Tri-Y's and true dual exhaust I had. So, if anyone has any suggestions based on personal experience here I'd much appreciate it before I start "Farmerizing" ****..LOL Take care now all who have dared read this far...
Old 10-30-2000, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't have any problems like this when I installed my SLP's and they are the 1 3/4 ones. I have heard about the gap your talking about from some other people on the board though. It seems that some of the headers are not level at the flange for some crazy reason. I would call SLP and see what they say about it before you go farmerizing them . They might just swap them out for another pair as long as you don't fabricate them.
I ordered the installation kit with mine, so I didn't have any of the y-pipe problems. Hope you get everthing cleared up.
Old 10-30-2000, 07:24 AM

Lost,
I have the 1-3/4 SLP's on my ride, which I've heard on good authority has never been hit like SLP told me. After replacing the motor mounts, I still ended up taking the header off to ding it where it hit the steering shaft. Both sides didn't actually sit flat, but the flange on the driver's middle was clearly bent, you could tell just from looking. I know not all of them were like that, and not everyone had clearance problems, wonder if this is related.
Later,
Dennis K

------------------
88 Formula 350
Old 10-30-2000, 02:08 PM

I have 1-5/8" SLP headers, so my install may have been easier, but I had zero problems.

I put the headers on with just the engine in the car (no harness, hoses or accessories). Both headers slipped right in place in under 30 seconds. I installed the y-pipe by myself in less than 1 hour. I have plenty of clearance at every possible contact point. The system looks very well built. All flanges line up and the y-pipe was right on.

I have about 1/4" between the driver's side header and the steering shaft. I did not replace my engine mounts either.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I've heard other people complain as well, but perhaps there was a bad batch from SLP? I'd try to work it out with them before I hack up my new exhaust!

------------------
'92 RS, ZZ4 10:1 350, Edelbrock 6085 heads, Crane 208/214 467/482 cam, GM/LT4 1.6 true roller rockers, Holley Projection TBI intake, Holley 670 TBI, SLP/Jet-Hot 1-5/8" headers, Catco 3" cat, Flowmaster 3" catback, Hughes 2500 stall converter, stock 700R4, Auburn Pro posi w/3.42, 17x9" SS rims w/BFG tires, Medium Quasar Blue w/white SS stripes, 48,000 miles....
Old 10-31-2000, 07:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula
Engine: 434
Transmission: PG
Axle/Gears: 4.33
I just got the 1 3/4" headers and they fit to the heads perfectly, but the y-pipe in between them seems to be too wide. Has a lot of people noticed this problem lately? Has anyone called SLP?

Thanks

Steve
Old 10-31-2000, 09:47 AM

Hey, I was just joking about the "Farmerizing" comment, that was reserved for my first vehicle, the International..LOL Anyway, yes my 1 3/4" headers didn't go into place until I replaced my motor mounts, and still contacted steering shaft, so I'll dimple it a bit. My Y pipe was about two inches wider, so we cut it the appropriate amount of the driverside and welded it back together, solving that problem. I haven't called SLP yet, but I think with the header flanges on the passenger side that don't quite square up to the block, I'm going to take the gasket out and bolt them back up, and heat the pipe to try and relief stress so they should conform to the proper angle. In theory anyway..LOL been done before. Thanks for your comments folks, and consequently, my headers are off road headers, and I don't run a cat here in Montana.
Old 10-31-2000, 09:58 AM

I have 1 5/8" SLP's. I didn't have problems with steering shaft clearance but the rubber boot and speedo cable melted from the heat.I had no problems with the headers mating at the ports.

The slip joint at the Y pipe leaks. I tightened the exhaust clamp provided by SLP until I thought it might break. IT still leaked. As a temporary fix, I wrapped the joint with aluminum duct tape. I've read somewhere that some out fit sells stainless duct tape. If I find some I'll try that.

The passenger side front tire rubs on the cat connector pipe when I turn the wheel to the nearly full lock position.

If I could start over again, I probably would go with ceramic coated Edelbrocks.
Old 10-31-2000, 12:19 PM

Car: FORMULA 350
Engine: ZZ4
Transmission: 700R4
i had the same problem with my slp's when i installed them years ago. my y-pipe was too wide also. i did call slp and they told me to loosen the flanges till the pipe fit. it sounded like bs to my because i knew the pressure would pull the threads out of the aluminum heads. i told them i would have to cut the pipe to make them fit PROPERLY. they said i would void my warranty if i did that. well,,,needless to say i did cut the pipe, had one half expanded by a muffler shop, test fit it on the car and had the pipe rewelded. turned out good as gold.
Old 10-31-2000, 01:57 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula
Engine: 434
Transmission: PG
Axle/Gears: 4.33
That is exactly what they just told me to do! They told me to cut the pipe, swedge one side open and then tack weld it around when it fits correctly....they also told me that if I need another intermediate pipe if something should go wrong, they would be happy to send me one...for $199.95!
Old 10-31-2000, 03:43 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
What BS! Pay good money for headers and their answer to the ****ty fit is to cut and re-weld? Holy hell!

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 11-02-2000, 10:02 AM

What do you guys mean about the y-pipe being "too wide"? Mine came in 2 pieces which slip together. You loosely install one side, slip the other side in, adjust accordingly, and tighten both sides. Mine looks perfect.

What's up?
Old 11-02-2000, 12:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 90 IROC
Engine: 406
Transmission: GMPP 93/4L60
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.27
This is why I dont buy from SLP, I hope you get it straightend out.

------------------
Black 90 IROC, L98, A4, 323 gear. SuperRamed 406 in the works!
Old 11-02-2000, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt
I had the same experience as scott c. I just fit both sides loosely and then thightened everything up. I have no problems.

james

------------------
If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy
Old 11-02-2000, 02:42 PM
Banned

I almost ordered the headers today from SLP. How much is it to get the edelbrocks coated? Where can i Get them coated at?

Should I go with coated edelbrocks or SLPs?

SLP is charging $540 to get everything to my door. (headers, installation kit, and shipping charges)

------------------
'92 Formula
305 TPI
Mods: SLP catback,SLP air foil,ported plenum,Crane AFPR (49psi),MSD6AL,homemade cold air,K&Ns,3:73s,JET fan switch...SLP 1 5/8ths are coming...oh yes
Old 11-02-2000, 05:23 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Even with these little problems, SLP headers are TONS better than the crappy quality and construction of Edelbrock's headers. Go see my rants in the Exhaust forum for my reasons why. I'm tired of typing it every time.

------------------
1991 Camaro Z28
5.7L 5-Speed (originally 305)
13.25 @ 107.18 MPH
Southern California
Member: SoCal 3rd Gen F-Bodies
Webmaster: SoCal F-Bodies
-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 11-02-2000, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Kevin91Z:
Even with these little problems, SLP headers are TONS better than the crappy quality and construction of Edelbrock's headers.

Huh? Can you explain what the crappy quality and construction of Edelbrocks headers are?

I had no such installation problems as all these TONS of people with SLP headers are having. I did not have to cut and reweld. Nor did I have to dimple any tubes. The flange is square and flat and fit just fine. All the collectors matched up perfectly to the y-pipes, etc.

You constantly bash TES headers. What basis of comparison do you have? You have never used the TES. So where are you coming from?

It's one thing to be loyal to your favorite brand. But you post OPINION all over the internet AS FACT that Edelbrock TES headers are garbage. What in fact, are your facts, and where did you get your qualitative information from?

------------------
FORMULA 350 TK
Southern California 3rd Generation F-Body Organization©
Old 11-02-2000, 10:21 PM

Tom, YOU are the man!

------------------
84 Camaro ZZ4 with HOT cam. 1.88 60' (12.98 @ 105MPH E.T.)
Other Mods: You name it and I have probably changed it.

91 Firebird 5.0L TBI

ASE Certified CHEVY DEALER Auto Tech
LIVE AND DIE BY THE ALMIGHTY BOWTIE!
Old 11-02-2000, 10:32 PM

Damn, I only WISH my transmission question would have gotten this many responses when I posted it a couple months back. LOL Consequently, I now have an 88 IROC Tranny to build in my spare time, it is from a 350 car. Needs to be strong and shift into fourth at WOT just like it does second and third. LOL Any suggestions?
Old 11-02-2000, 11:36 PM

Tom, my dad has installed several sets of Edelbrock and SLP headers on thirdgens. The SLP headers are much better designed. They are a true 1 5/8", unlike Edelbrocks. Also, SLP doesnt weld inside the ports like Edelbrock does. That makes the headers effectively smaller than they already are. Not to mention, Edelbrock doesnt even offer 1 3/4" headers. And the single cat y-pipe Edelbrock gives you, it comes together at almost a right angle, causing a restriction in the exhaust flow. SLP's are a true Y. SLP uses high quality stainless steel that doesnt need to be coated, while Edelbrock's will rust pretty quickly if you dont get them coated. I've posted this many times before. I've seen both headers side by side. The only bad thing about SLP's headers is the separate flanges, which do tend to warp.
Old 11-03-2000, 07:06 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89RSconvtZZ4TPI
Engine: ZZ4TPI
Transmission: 700R4 TRIPP TRANNY
I think the 1 3/4 SLP headers have a solid flange across all the tube ports. The 1 5/8ths dont have a flange across all the ports, so when you tighten the header to the block, if there is any warpage you pull it straight by tightening with the 1 5/8ths. I bought my SLP from Paul, the guy with all the firesale headers so I would have no avenue with SLP, however I think their customer service sucks! Unless you're paying 38K for a car, they don't care.

------------------
Rob P
89RSconvtZZ4TPI
92Z28convt5spd
71Impala convt 402BB
BETTER DRIVING THRU SUPERIOR HORSEPOWER!
Old 11-03-2000, 08:21 AM

Car: '89 Formula
Engine: 355 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt.
The SLP 1 3/4" do NOT have a solid flange across all the ports.
The problems I ran into with them were having to dimple the #4 tube to fit my AC bracket that bolts up to that stud and with the accessory kit. Namely that the elbow for the fan switch didn't accept the hypertech or the stock fan switches as it was too shallow. I moved my fan switch to the front of the intake - there's an extra port on my edelbrock.
I have no interference with my steering gear.

------------------
'89 Formula - Thunderchicken - 355 Vette L98/T-5/3.45 9-bolt/black/t-tops - the fun car!
'90 GTA - The GTA - 5.0 LB9/TH700/3.27 9-bolt/black/t-tops/tan leather - the cruiser.
Old 11-03-2000, 08:27 AM

Damn, saw the name Shaughnessy and remembered a guy I used to know in the Corp, can't even begin to spell the name most times, used to call him alphabet...LOL
Old 11-03-2000, 08:41 AM

Car: '89 Formula
Engine: 355 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt.
That wouldn't be me then (never went into the corp). Last names like mine suck... had to carry a piece of paper with it so I could put my name on my schoolwork up to second grade.

------------------
'89 Formula - Thunderchicken - 355 Vette L98/T-5/3.45 9-bolt/black/t-tops - the fun car!
'90 GTA - The GTA - 5.0 LB9/TH700/3.27 9-bolt/black/t-tops/tan leather - the cruiser.
Old 11-03-2000, 12:09 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Ive had both edelbrock and SLP. The SLP's afforded me much more plug clearance over the edlebrocks. PLus, the surfaces didnt deteriorate on the SLP's like it did on the edelbrocks.

The SLP y-pipe DID hit my SFC though. Thats my only complaint.

I have hooker long tubes now. They kick *** .
Old 11-03-2000, 12:20 PM

Car: 88 GTA
Engine: modified L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt
Man, SLP must have let there quality control go down hill or something. Because I got my 1 3/4" headers used, and I haven't had any of these problems. All flanges were perfectly flat and mated to the block, I did have to pry on the two outside primaries a lot though to get the bolt holes to line up. That's the one disadvantage of the separate primary design. I have at least 3/8" clearence everywhere around them, no dimpling any tubes (on stock 100k mi motor mounts too). The only thing that didn't fit perfectly on mine was the y-pipe. It doesn't want to fit up under the oil pan where the stock one went quite right, but that may be because the previous owner welded the two pieces together, and I can't adjust properly. Other than that I was very pleased with the quality.

The only thing that I was dissapointed in was the fact that there were welds inside the primaries at the head flange contrary to what Kevin said. I thought for as much as these things cost, that they'd at least take the time to grind those down like I ended up doing.

------------------
Black 88 GTA L98
DEAD
but a new crate engines on the way
Old 11-03-2000, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Ive never had a problem with my Edelbrock Headers they fit perfect.

CHP just did a dyno test on a 406 SB that made 450+ horsepower and 500 lbs of torque. Guess what size header they used.. 1 5/8. The peak was around 5500, unless you are building a top end drag car. I cant see usening those larger headers. Yeah you may pickup 10-15 at the peak on a highly modified engine but you will lose midrange. Your car will not be faster, and it will not be as fun to drive because of the lost midrange torque!

They do have a place with the single plane intakes, minirams,big cams,ect. But on a TPI that will never see more than 6000 rpms. That is a mismatch! Just my opinion.

------------------
Old 11-03-2000, 02:48 PM

My $0.02:

1) Edelbrock TES fits very well and the install was pretty easy. I attribute this to the smaller diameter tubing and the dimples you'll find throughout the system. Bottom line: Edelbrock compromised flow for ease of installation.

2) Edelbrock's choice of material was less than optimum. My uncoated TES system just about fell off the car with less than 30,000 miles of use. I was able to remove the y-pipe from the converter by hand (no tools), meaning I just twisted it off. Rust became my TES's enemy. This happened on 2 separate cars with low miles.

3) The way Edelbrock's TES is designed, it is not user friendly when it comes to changing plugs or tightening header bolts. The a.i.r. tubes are directly in the way of what's below them. The passenger side is the worst. The primaries are in the way of everything you need to get at.

4) The primary tube sizes on the TES are pathetic. How many different sizes did they have to come up with to complete this design? Most tubes are not even a full 1-5/8" in any given area. More compromise.

Now to praise SLP:

1) The best looking headers I've owned. Coat them and they look like show quality. Never need replace them ever again. Even uncoated SLP headers will never need to be replaced (stainless steel).

2) Quality of construction is very good. Thick individual flanges unlike TES's solid flange. A.I.R. tubes are not an obstruction like on the TES. The correct size primary tubes all throughout the system. When they say 1-5/8", they mean it. Collector looks like it was designed as a true 4-into-1 like it should be. TES has these crimped, 1/2 size, so called "tubes" shoved into their collectors.

3) SLP y-pipe is just as well designed as their headers. 2 full size tubes flow nicely into a single 3" mandrel bent pipe. The slip fit connection and welded nuts on the collectors make the install a breeze. No need to attempt to hold a wrench above the collectors to tighten them.

So, there are the "FACTS" that Tom was looking for. For the one-time expense, you can't beat SLP's headers & y-pipe, coated or not.
Old 11-03-2000, 05:06 PM
Supreme Member

Ive put over 60,00 miles on my Edelbrock headers. Except for some surface rust they are as solid as the day i bought them. I notice the complete opposite from what you stated about the header clearance. When changing from the hooker set i had before. And no hot start problems.

Everyone keeps refering to the dual 1.5 to 1 5/8 primaries as a down fall. Its that way for a purpose, to build torque.

IM not knocking SLPs headers IM just tired of people who dont know what they are talking about putting down the Edelbrock system. They have been around alot longer than SLP. And didnt start out building oil pans.

------------------
Old 11-03-2000, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Kevin91Z:
Tom, my dad has installed several sets of Edelbrock and SLP headers on thirdgens. The SLP headers are much better designed.

Subjective opinion

They are a true 1 5/8", unlike Edelbrocks.

There is a very valid reason for stepped tube diameter: building torque.
Also, SLP doesnt weld inside the ports like Edelbrock does. That makes the headers effectively smaller than they already are.

Yes, the Edelbrocks had welded inside the tubes. I ground that off. I don't personally see that as an issue, becuase to me there is no such thing as a "plug and play" speed part. All parts need some minor hand fitting as far as I'm concerned.

Not to mention, Edelbrock doesnt even offer 1 3/4" headers.

Dan G = 12 sec car, TES headers
Jeff K = 12 sec car, TES headers
Mauro G = no tuning 13.2 car, TES headers
Doug G = 1 5/8" headers, 500HP/600TQ
I don't think 1 3/4" tubes are really necessary.
And the single cat y-pipe Edelbrock gives you, it comes together at almost a right angle, causing a restriction in the exhaust flow. SLP's are a true Y.

OK, you got me there! I have the dual cat TES, and there is a smooth flowing pipe to each cat. I didn't know about the single cat version.

SLP uses high quality stainless steel that doesnt need to be coated, while Edelbrock's will rust pretty quickly if you dont get them coated.

Surface rust is not a problem that will reduce performance. It is merely a cosmetic issue. Coating them solves the issue.

I've posted this many times before. I've seen both headers side by side. The only bad thing about SLP's headers is the separate flanges, which do tend to warp.

OK, thanks Kevin. So, you have seen them side by side and formed an opinion.

I disagree with you, when you say Edlebrocks are a
"crappy quality and construction". My experience has been different.

------------------
FORMULA 350 TK

[This message has been edited by Tom Keliher (edited November 03, 2000).]
Old 11-03-2000, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Scott C:
My $0.02:

1) Edelbrock TES fits very well and the install was pretty easy. I attribute this to the smaller diameter tubing and the dimples you'll find throughout the system. Bottom line: Edelbrock compromised flow for ease of installation.

Subjective opinion here. Where is the engineering data to back up your claim?

2) Edelbrock's choice of material was less than optimum. My uncoated TES system just about fell off the car with less than 30,000 miles of use. I was able to remove the y-pipe from the converter by hand (no tools), meaning I just twisted it off. Rust became my TES's enemy. This happened on 2 separate cars with low miles.

Don't drive your car through a salt bath

3) The way Edelbrock's TES is designed, it is not user friendly when it comes to changing plugs or tightening header bolts. The a.i.r. tubes are directly in the way of what's below them. The passenger side is the worst. The primaries are in the way of everything you need to get at.

Score!! You got me there!

4) The primary tube sizes on the TES are pathetic. How many different sizes did they have to come up with to complete this design? Most tubes are not even a full 1-5/8" in any given area. More compromise.

Nope, don't think so. Stepped tube design is a proven torque builder. Edelbrock did this for a good reason, not to compromise.

Now to praise SLP:

1) The best looking headers I've owned.

HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE!!!! (horns blaring, lights flashing!!)

Coat them and they look like show quality. Never need replace them ever again.

Gee, same as my TES!!

Even uncoated SLP headers will never need to be replaced (stainless steel).

Non issue. A person can get headers coated for $35 if they know how.

2) Quality of construction is very good.

Same with the Edelbrocks.

Thick individual flanges unlike TES's solid flange.

Please explain the benefit?

A.I.R. tubes are not an obstruction like on the TES. The correct size primary tubes all throughout the system. When they say 1-5/8", they mean it. Collector looks like it was designed as a true 4-into-1 like it should be. TES has these crimped, 1/2 size, so called "tubes" shoved into their collectors.

Again, stepped tube design is proven and is done for a very good reason. As far as the collector is concerned, the tube is not 1/2 size (subjective conjecture here again!), it is formed into a "D" shape. Same surface area, same flow. It makes for a more compact collector design. Honestly though, I don't know if that is a detriment or not, but the flow is not restricted at least.

3) SLP y-pipe is just as well designed as their headers.

Subjective opinion again!
The TES pipes for my dual cat system are just the same as you describe, flow smoothly and are all mandrel bent.

2 full size tubes flow nicely into a single 3" mandrel bent pipe. The slip fit connection and welded nuts on the collectors make the install a breeze. No need to attempt to hold a wrench above the collectors to tighten them.

You must have had a different set of TES, because I also did not have to hold a wrench on my collector flange rings to tighten anything.

So, there are the "FACTS" that Tom was looking for. For the one-time expense, you can't beat SLP's headers & y-pipe, coated or not.

Once again, your subjective opinion. Don't see any engineering data, just a lot of opinions. Thanks anyway though!

------------------
FORMULA 350 TK
Old 11-03-2000, 08:33 PM

I'm not gonna quote all that, but I will say, I wonder how much faster Dan, Jeff, Mauro, and you would be if you had a good flowing large tube header, rather than Edelbrocks. Think about this: Your exhaust valve is 1.600". Edelbrock's headers are 1.500" outside diameter, which means your inside diameter is even smaller, probably 1.375". Now why would you want to choke off your exhuast flow like that? In the name of torque? Our cars already make awesome torque by the design of the intake manifold. We need help in the horsepower department, and SLP's headers certainly look like they do that job, and then some.
Old 11-03-2000, 10:42 PM

Here are my opinions.I have owned both the TES eldebrocks and now have the 1 3/4 inch SLPs,with no air tubes.The Edelbrocks were nice headers easy to install,good quality,no sealing problems.But the material leaves a lot to be desired.Anyone who lives in New England like me,weather the car sits in the winter or not,even in a garage,everything rusts up here,****,if you have fillings in your mouth they are probably rusty too My Edelbrocks were coated by HPC,rust started to form on them after less than 2 years,the coating was just flaking off and rust was forming underneath.YPipe underneath car was a mess,after less than 2 years,everything on the road had damaged the coating ,thus,giving rust its chance to form.Some will say,hey HPC must have done a ****ty job,but I will say to you no way,my friend with the 86 Iroc had his edelbrocks done by Jet Hot,and the same **** happened.So driving threw a salt bath has no bearing on anything,thing is mild uncoated steel will rust no matter what you do to it,coating might help prolong its life but,they will not last.Dont get me wrong Edelbrocks are great headers,but if you want something to last and you dont want to go with 1 3/4 SLPs get the 1 5/8s.Depends on where you live too,and how often you drive the car.My SLPs 1 3/4 inch headers,fit real well,I dont have anyproblems with the AC,mainly because I dont have it But the Edelbrock were a PITA when I did,so I can imagine with the bigger SLPs.I dont have fitment problems around the Stearing shaft either,but I have a 1/2 inch clearence,its real close.I had to send back one side to SLP though,the center flange was not sitting flat on my heads,flange was ****ed,it went back and got a new one asap,I deal with TByrne Motorsports,Ive known him a while and he used to live up the street from me,he is great to deal with,and made the switch fast for me.if anyone is having a simaler problem with their SLPs,send em back,Im not gonna modify something I paid $360 bucks for,they warrenty it,send it.
But main reason to go with either one is your combo,this is what decides anything,some of the responses here are quite amusing as to which one is better.I went with the biggest I could fit,because Im running a blower.I wouldn run long tubes because of ground clearence problems.But dont at all disregard the Edelbrocks,they make great headers,but so does SLP.Anything is better than stock And one is not a 100 more horse than the other,the differnces are not that significant,and no one here has any dyno figures to prove other wise.But here is a thing I like about the SLPs,main reason I bought em,they dont rust.
Old 11-04-2000, 06:58 AM

I've got the 1 3/4" SLPs. Bought them about 14 months ago. No warpage problems. I think it is #5 that contacts the steering shaft when turned just right.

Forget the dimpling, Mr Dremel takes care of that minor interference to the tune of about 1/16" at the wide point of the shaft.

Don't have any experience witht the TES except I've always heard rust is a problem with them.

------------------
Mike

'90 IROC-Z, 5-speed, ZZ4, Trick Flows
Moderator SEThirdgen
Old 11-04-2000, 02:25 PM

I have the TES on my car. Kevin is right about one thing, and that is the right angle in the y-pipe on a single cat car. It is almost blasphemy. I had no install probs with mine. I also had no leaks. I will admit though, that the only reason i chose TES over SLP was the money. That was some time ago when i was younger, poorer, and a starving high school student. I have no experience with SLP, but I also agree that TES shouldnt be knocked. I picked up 3 tenths from then alone, my biggest increase from a single mod. Not counting nitrous, of course.

------------------
1989 IROC-Z 5.7L
Old 11-04-2000, 03:55 PM

About the "right angle" y-pipe that seems to be a point of contention here...........

What's the prob? I have been thinking about this a little just now, and came to the realization that all headers have right angles. Look at any header design. Where the gas comes out the head, it immediately goes at a right angle down the header tube. Most headers have another right angle where it goes back to the rear of the car, especially full length long headers. ALL headers are designed with acute right angles in them. So, can't be that big a deal now, can it?
Old 11-04-2000, 04:12 PM

OK, here is a pic of the TES:

Where is the right angle that you keep talking about? Personally I don't like the way the tubes are "squished" to be forced into the collector (the SLP's go in perfectly round), but I don't know what right angle you're talking about.
Old 11-04-2000, 08:35 PM

Is that the pic of the f-body headers? I think the "right-angle" thing is on the El Camino headers. It means the y-pipe from the passenger header plugs into the top of the tube coming from the driver's side. I thought it was on the f-body headers too, my mistake. My dad change that on a friend's el camino, and it picked up about 45 HP at the dyno, from 160 HP to 205 HP.

Even tho the primaries have right angles, and the cat-back has a right angle, its only one tube. Its not two or more tubes coming together at a right angle, which is where the problem lies.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this subject. I feel the SLP headers are better quality and worth the extra money, while other people think the Edelbrock headers are fine and the better investment. No hard feelings.
Old 11-05-2000, 09:56 AM

Jet-hot coated slps

thats way to big, let me shrink the pics down a bit and i'll post some more later

------------------
1986 Trans Am
305 TPI
"If it's not one thing, it's another!"
http://www2.hanover.edu/hierlmeier

[This message has been edited by 86Trans Am (edited November 05, 2000).]
Old 11-05-2000, 11:24 AM

Yes, that is a pic of the F-body headers. So, when you were talking about the right angle the two pipes came together like a stock y=pipe does on our cars? If so that is horrible, but it's not that way on the F-bods.

Personally, there are a few things I don't like about both the Edelbrock's and SLP's, but less for SLP. That's why they won out on my car.
Old 11-05-2000, 02:25 PM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
I have the SLP headers on with a 3" full exhaust, borla with single out and stainless tip. I love the setup.

------------------
, Jon (91 RS too many mods to list)
Old 11-06-2000, 01:49 AM

i want slp for my car, how r they. What would i realisticly gain from them?

------------------
1989 pontiac firebird
bright red extior(just repainted)
grey interior
5 spd
305 TBI (stock)
WS.6 formula wheels
3.73 posi rear end
-------------------------
system: 2 10" MTX thunder 2000 in a Professionally done custom bandpass box.
Blaupunkt CD player
Blaupunkt 4x6 and 6x9
600 watt rockford fosgate 4.6 amp

www.hometown.aol.com/fierbirdluver/myhomepage/profile.html.com
Old 11-07-2000, 02:12 PM

Is the way the TES squishes actually bad? It looks like it does that to match the size of the collector and might actually help the exhaust velocity and torque. I'm not an exhaust or flow expert though so I could be wrong.

Randy

Old 11-07-2000, 04:05 PM

Alot of us could be wrong,no one has #s to back up anything,until I do see this,both are fine systems for 90% of the cars here.I just dont like the rusting issue,thats why I went with the SLPs
Old 11-09-2000, 03:16 PM
Mo

Tom K: where/how can you get headers coated for $35...this is a real question, not being argumentitive(?)
Thanks

------------------
90 IROC 5.7l (L98)
ram air, K&N's, air foil,Flows

LIKE A ROC
Old 11-09-2000, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Mo:
Tom K: where/how can you get headers coated for $35...this is a real question, not being argumentitive(?)
Thanks

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/

Go to Techline's website. Read everything there and see how they make the coatings that everyone uses to charge us big dollars to apply. You can buys "consumer" size bottles from Techline and do it yourself. Summit used to sell the "CermaKrome" for around $35 a bottle.
Old 11-09-2000, 11:21 PM

It says they supply 95% of the aftermarket.What about the other 5%.Do they supply Jet Hot or HPC?I guess you could do it for $35,but your forgetting,you have to have acces to a sandblaster,spray gun,things most dont have.And if your wife doesnt mind cooking headers in her oven,which she probably does,means you have to go out and buy one cheap.Ive used 1 of the major 2 companies and seen the other first hand,this time Im going with Paul Barry.Heard his work is real good and cheap.$175 for a set of Slps or Edelbrocks,since Slp recommends against the coating of the Ypipe I will save money there.Here is his site for anyone interested. http://www.pbmotorsports.com/
Old 11-12-2000, 02:52 PM

Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: 350c.i. TPI (coming soon: 357c.i. TPI screamer)
Transmission: T-56
I just bolted in the SLP 1-3/4" headers this weekend and I'll never do headers again. To start things out, the instructions did not metion everything that had to be removed to make room to "slide" the headers in place. That was an effort of trial and error that lasted a lot longer than it would have taken to print decent instruction. On the driver side, I too had the clearance problem with the steering shaft. That resulted in removing that header and putting a dent in it to clear the steering shaft. Now I have to wonder if this is going to affect the flow through that tube, not that it would severly hurt the engine's performance, but it bothers me. All in all, I expected a lot more out of the fit and finish of these headers - especially from a company that specializes in F-Body performance products. Thanks SLP.

Joshua King http://members.xoom.com/firechickn91/
Old 11-12-2000, 04:11 PM

Edelbrocks come with excellent written and photographic instructions.
Old 11-13-2000, 11:03 AM

Sorry this isn't directly related to the SLP headers, but I have a simple question which SLP hasn't answered, but maybe you guys can. Do they carry a full 3" exhaust for our cars?

I bought the SLP 1 3/4" headers and their cat back system a while back. After telling them I currently have a 3" slip-fit cat and a full 3" Flowmaster system currently on the car, the tech recommends to me the stainless system designated for the 305 LG4. (my car is an 84 Z28) The intermediate pipe from this system starts off at 2 1/2" after the cat, and eventually steps up to 3". Please see my post on the SLP message board w/ pictures:

SLP message board
Image of 2 1/2" section on otherwise 3" system

I have been on the phone numerous times with them, and everytime they tell me to have a muffler shop cut away the 2 1/2" section and replace it with 3" pipe. Which.....effectively voids my warranty. Does this sound right to you? This is not something you want to hear after spending a couple of hundred bucks on an exhaust system. I just want the system to be a full 3". The tech keeps telling me that 1/2" drop after the cat will not rob any power. While that may or may not be the case, I really don't want to start hacking up the pipe with different sections.

Do any of you guys have full 3" systems? If so, do you remember what part number and whether or not you are running a 3" cat as well? They MUST have a full 3" system after the cat....

Any help is appreciated,
Victor
Old 11-13-2000, 12:07 PM

My "Cat Back" system that I bought over the phone from SLP is a full three inch, intermediate pipe included. I'm not running a cat though, so I bought a 4' section to run between the cat back and the Y-pipe. I don't know the exact part number, this is what the tech set me up with from my phone call. I don't know what to tell you other than yes they do make a full three inch Intermediate pipe, and after all that I've seen in this posting of mine not much amazes me anymore after hearing all this from other Consumers. You could say I'm not quite impressed with the level, or lack of, proffessionalism.

Quick Reply: SLP Headers...