Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Mr. Gasket Cut-Outs

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. Gasket Cut-Outs

Hey guys, posted this in the exhaust section and it didn't get any attention and then I realized it wasn't actually a problem with my exhaust but a question about a product so I figure it would go better here (mods, sorry if this is the wrong thing to do - obviously do what you need to [delete] ).

Summit offers Mr. Gasket 2" Cable-operated cut-outs and I was just curious if anyone has used it and their opinion of it? I've heard Mr. Gasket is not a very reputable brand, but that's just from looking around on the internet. I did a search here and on Google for maybe a review or something, but got nothing. My main questions are will the 2" be a lot different sound/performance wise than a 3" inch? Obviously there will be some kind of a difference but a noticable one? Where can I find a 3" cable-operated cut-out? Also, I've heard that cable-operated cut-outs leak but then a lot of people don't seem to have a problem with it - just random incidents or what? I am trying to decide between the Mr. Gasket or a manual 3" cut-out and getting the power plate down the road (WAY down the road - small cosmetic car budget ). As far as the actual cable is concerned, is it a fairly easy install? I'm 17 and honestly new to fixing up cars, but I've done several things like replace the waterpump, install a new cat, fabricate new turn signals from lexan (like L.I.N.Y.92Camaro's), install new gauges, convert interior to LED (I can soder but not weld, although I can learn). Is it harder or easier than any of those things? I just like to know what I am getting myself into before I do it. Made that mistake before with my new LS1 brakes ... Any help would be great! Thanks!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI w/ l98 cam
Transmission: T5 5-speed
Axle/Gears: 3.45 posi disc 9 bolt
i have heard bad things about the cable ones.

what i would do if i were you is get the summit brand manual cutouts. mine was like 25 bucks and it is a very nice piece. i got it welded in when i got my y-pipe welded in and the catalitic converter removed. so it is right where the cat was/is supposed to be.

summit has them in 2.5 and 3 inch i have the 3 inch one and i love it where i have it mounted it is not hard to open it and my car is very very low so it would be alot alot easier if it was at stock height.

but really it all depends on what size exhaust you have right now. if you already have a catback on it then the piping is probably 3 inch. if you have 3 inch pipe already then get the 3 inch one that has the clamp on style so the tubes are enlarged and if you want to install it yourself all you have to do is cut a section out of your pipe (i would use a sawzall but if your chuck norris a hack saw will work) then you just slip the cutout on and tighten the clamps down. here ill make it easy for you and post up the link.

Summit Exhaust Cutouts: SUM-670137 - summitracing.com

hope this helps good luck.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: projects.......
- just for note:
It is illegal in many states to have an exhaust cut-out that is operated from inside the car.

- The only leak-proof that I know of are the manaul/cap-off type and the machined electric ones. The rest have all been known to leak by, thus creating a exhaust leak type sound when running closed
As for the 2" vs 3", a single 2" would kill your exhaust flow. Open or closed you'd be down on power. - I wouldn't run anything smaller than 3" for a single exhaust system.