Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

should i even bother?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
should i even bother?

so this summer (as some people may have read) i worked to get the exterior of my car done, or mostly done atleast......one item that i did purchase was a new front bumper cover from a website called carpartswholesale.com....it was a reasonable priced bumper cover (289) whereas hawks was charging 350, i thought i made out like a bandit but then i as the summer progressed the bumper started to crap out:

now this bumper has gotten so crapped up that it has taken two fairly large chips of paint off the tip of my hood from it being mis-shapen and rubbing up against the tip of the hood....i already talked to the company about it but they refused to look at the pictures and told me "you waited for longer than the allotted time (28 days whereit took 14 to finally get it shipped to me) so they were refusing to give me a new bumper, now the price is jacked up to 380 making me believe that there was something wrong with this batch of bumper from them and that is why they do not want it back....

my question is do you guys think i should even bother trying again? trying to email them, send them letters, and call them? cuz this is ridiculous how crappy this bumper has turned....the fog lights arent even symmetrical...i had to make spacers for the driver's side one just to make it line up almost correctly...

thanks for your time and input

-brian
Old 01-05-2008, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 firebird
Engine: carb'd 350 (******* swap)
Axle/Gears: sure aint positrac
Re: should i even bother?

you have a right to be very very angry about this im no judge or anything but i think they should pay to fix your paint and replace the bumper with oem quality (at least) their product caused damage to your car and you might want to look into this from a legal point of view if they arent wanting to cooperate to even help you figure the situation out
Old 01-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Supreme Member

well i finally talked to them, they are willing to take it back, but they are going to inspect it to make sure that it is indeed messed up how i said it is....now the only way that they can tell is if they put it on a firebird (ive read here that birds are wider than camaros by like a half inch on each side) and i think thats what my problem is....but they are not exchanging it for another bumper, they are going to give me my money (289) back....now where do i go to find another bumper for this cheap? lol plus this one made me laugh....they told me that because i had the bumper on my car, they would not take it back...i asked them what about if it was to make sure it fit? and they said "well as long as the bumper made contact with screws to hold it onto the car, then we, under our rules and regulations, cannot take it back" lol theyre ridiculous, but hopefully i can get a new bumper soon
Old 01-05-2008, 03:44 PM

Car: 87 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 408 LS
Transmission: LS 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt/3.70 Gears/TAP Girdle

i would be very concerned sending that bumper back to them. if they are already being that shady, they might keep the bumper and send you no money at all. i would take pictures of the bumper and the hood to have proof of the damage before it's taken off your car. i would also save and print out any emails you have from your conversations with them. espically any that have them saying they will refund your money if you send them the bumper. this is what scares me from what you've said.

"they are going to give me my money (289) back"
then they said
"well as long as the bumper made contact with screws to hold it onto the car, then we, under our rules and regulations, cannot take it back"

either you'll get lucky and they'll be one of the few stand up companies in the car world, or you're gonna get screwed. they'll tell you they found nothing wrong with the bumper, blame it on you, not refund your 289, and then either make your pay for shipping to send the bumper back to your place, or they'll just keep the bumper and your 289.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Supreme Member

yeah, i am quite concerned with that as well....but i have taken pictures of it and on monday i am going to go to a local bodyshop and have a written estimate made up saying that i do need a new front bumper and that that one is shot....this way if they try to say that its not, i have the paper work proving that it is, and then i will threaten with the better business bureau and also a lawyer....this bumper is amazing at how much it sucks! lol
Old 01-05-2008, 03:53 PM

Car: 86 Iroc
Engine: 383
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3:73s!

thats what happens wen you buy some made in china aftermarket repo....
Old 01-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Supreme Member

i dont believe it was from china....just good old american dumb-assed ness lol
Old 01-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Supreme Member

i figured i'd show off how terrible that bumper was, so i took some pictures to prove the bumper's flaws and even sent them along with the bumper to the manufacturer

this last one here is the original bumper back on the car lol....yay it looks so sexy! lol
Old 01-10-2008, 10:33 AM

Car: 87 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 408 LS
Transmission: LS 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt/3.70 Gears/TAP Girdle

Originally Posted by 86camaro383
thats what happens wen you buy some made in china aftermarket repo....
have you ever tried to find a bumper skin for a TA vehicle?
----------
Originally Posted by racerx520
i dont believe it was from china....just good old american dumb-assed ness lol
did you send it back to them? any response yet?

Last edited by CashMunson; 01-10-2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Supreme Member

i sent it back, no response yet...i emailed them as well to let them know i was sending it back but no response there either....they said it'll be about 4 weeks till i get a check back from them and yes, i have tried at my local junkyards to get used t/a bumpers but they are non-existant around here....any 3rd gen that shows up is cuz of an accident, the motor and the trans are almost immediately pulled and its usually the front of the car that gets smashed up....and 9 times out of 10 aroudn here its a camaro cuz everyone with a 3rd gen aroudn here has a camaro
Old 01-11-2008, 01:18 AM
Supreme Member

by the way, has anyone heard of this site?:

http://www.iautobodyparts.com/46658-...nt_bumper.html

they are offering this bumper for awefully cheap so i called them...they said its so cheap because they are just refurbishing the used bumpers.....does that sound right at all? ive never heard of anyone doing that
Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 AM

Car: Blue 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T5 WC

personally, i don't think you should go with that site. if you never heard of them doing that before, and they are giving it to you for cheap, they might try and rip you off like the other bumper that you had. Or, depending on location, have them put it on, and make sure it is the right thing. and, depending on location, go look at the bumper before you buy one.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 one wheel peel

Amazon - 288.57 free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E4LJDE?...0&linkCode=asn
Old 01-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

thanks but i think i'm going to to for a used one...i dont think i'm going to trust another aftermarket made one lol especially for 300 bucks while i have no job lol