Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Valentines Day RULES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 350tpi,HSR, underdrive pulley,tbfb
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi
Valentines Day RULES!!!

My wife got me a Crane cam(2032) and Hooker headers(2460) for Valentines.Will these parts work well on a 350 with a HSR,AFPR,underdrive pulleys, throttlebody flow booster and Hooker 3" cat back? She had me choose the cam, so I thought that the powermax 2032 would be a decent choice for a basicly stock engine...not to much lift but a good power boost and streetable. What do you guys think?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Re: Valentines Day RULES!!!

Sure those will work, but what will you do for a y-pipe? Those headers will not bolt to the stock y-pipe (and neither will any other headers). You'll need the matching y-pipe, and its not as good flowing than if you got the Hooker 2055's and its included y-pipe.
But it'll still work fine for a stock engine.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.89

I have that cam. It is a smooth cam. I rode with a buddy who had a bigger TPIS cam and I hated the idle and how it ran. Hopped back in my car and figured out how nice it was.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:00 AM

Car: 89 T/A
Engine: LB9
Transmission: W/C T-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt posi, 3.73 Richmond Gears

Dude....she's a keeper, lucky bas*#rd!!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z
Sure those will work, but what will you do for a y-pipe? Those headers will not bolt to the stock y-pipe (and neither will any other headers). You'll need the matching y-pipe, and its not as good flowing than if you got the Hooker 2055's and its included y-pipe.
But it'll still work fine for a stock engine.
My plan was to use the stock y-pipe attached with header reducers until work picks up and I can afford the off-road y-pipe that eliminates the converters.Or take the car to a shop were I used to work that does custom exhaust and make my own pipes, either way I'll make it work. My main concerne in the question really was if the cam choice was a good one or not though.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:23 PM

Eliminating the cat converters on a street car is a violation of federal law in all 50 states, regardless of whether your area does emissions checks or not. Please leave your cat alone and dont give us hot rodders any further of a bad name with the law. Or replace it with an aftermarket cat from Magnaflow, Catco, or Random Tech for the best of both worlds.

And you'll need more than header reducers to make the stock y-pipe fit. You'll need to chop and weld new sections. A custom y-pipe will work fine. Make sure its a mandrel bent one and not crush bends.

The cam is fine. Plan on replacing the stock 20 year old valve springs, retainers, and valve seals at the same time.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

If you have a decent exhaust shop where you live, they could fab something up for you at a reasonable price. Put on a high flow cat
Old 02-16-2009, 01:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 350 TBI W/all Ultimate TBI Mods
Transmission: 700R4 Stage 4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.27

Eliminating the cat converters on a street car is a violation of federal law in all 50 states, regardless of whether your area does emissions checks or not. Please leave your cat alone and dont give us hot rodders any further of a bad name with the law. Or replace it with an aftermarket cat from Magnaflow, Catco, or Random Tech for the best of both worlds.

And you'll need more than header reducers to make the stock y-pipe fit. You'll need to chop and weld new sections. A custom y-pipe will work fine. Make sure its a mandrel bent one and not crush bends.

The cam is fine. Plan on replacing the stock 20 year old valve springs, retainers, and valve seals at the same time.

Magnaflow makes an AWESOME 3" high flow stainless cat. Under $100 and you will NOT lose 1HP. So, keep a converter on your car. Kevin is right!!!!!!!

Last edited by dctrumpet; 02-16-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 PM

The garage I previously worked at has a great pipe bender, they'll probably let me bend my own pipes...reason for always leaving jobs on good terms. As for the cats...mine has dual cats,so twice the cost to replace ...both are rattling I'll see what kinda price I can get for cats...but money is getting a tad tight and straightpipes are cheap
I don't plan on installing the cam right away so that I can get springs,seals timing chain and hopefully roller rockers. With work being slow I may have to wait until summer before the money is there to get the required/desired add on parts.I also Had to order a replacement AFPR for the stealth ram,unexpected money that was supposed to go towards other parts.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 350 TBI W/all Ultimate TBI Mods
Transmission: 700R4 Stage 4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.27

Originally Posted by bgood71
The garage I previously worked at has a great pipe bender, they'll probably let me bend my own pipes...reason for always leaving jobs on good terms. As for the cats...mine has dual cats,so twice the cost to replace ...both are rattling I'll see what kinda price I can get for cats...but money is getting a tad tight and straightpipes are cheap
I don't plan on installing the cam right away so that I can get springs,seals timing chain and hopefully roller rockers. With work being slow I may have to wait until summer before the money is there to get the required/desired add on parts.I also Had to order a replacement AFPR for the stealth ram,unexpected money that was supposed to go towards other parts.
My Magnaflow cat was $69 from a guy out of St. Louis that I have done some business with. I do understand budgets!!!! Money can get eaten up QUICK with our cars.....
Old 02-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Corvette, 89 IROC, 1999 TA
Engine: 350, 350, LS1
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.07, 373, 4.10

I know this is off topic but what the heck is a throttle body flow booster? Is that like an air foil or a tornado or somethin?
Old 02-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89' IROC-Z
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10-Bolt/2.73

Eliminating the cat converters on a street car is a violation of federal law in all 50 states
I see this everywhere I go now, I think your starting a 'Go Green yet Still Be Mean' Muscle Car Group...haha

Anyway cats dont free up much HP anymore now that technology has improved as much as it has. Plus if your like me and hate the excessive popping a deleted cat gives you will keep a cat.

P.S. Plus I dont think your wife will like the smell your car will give without the cat. As stated by another TGO (Third Gen Owner), some get it mixed with thirdgen.org...

EDIT; Forgot this was a Valentines day gift thread...DAMN YOUR LUCKY. I cant even get a chick to get into cars with me let alone buy me car parts willingly. Maybe one day Ill find her sister...haha
Old 02-17-2009, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by 89RsPower!
I know this is off topic but what the heck is a throttle body flow booster? Is that like an air foil or a tornado or somethin?
Its probably an air foil that fits in between the throttle blades.

Originally Posted by I H8 WWD
I see this everywhere I go now, I think youre starting a 'Go Green yet Still Be Mean' Muscle Car Group...haha
That's my plan. We here in SoCal have taken the best smog-legal parts we can and have turned our cars into ground-pounders that still pass CA's smog test. In fact, we're faster with full emissions-compliance than some cars that have removed their emissions devices thinking they're making more power. Its very possible to have a fast powerful car and still pass the smog test and keep the enviro-****'s happy. Now if only we can convince the tree-huggers in Congress that so they stop trying to write new laws.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.89

I am trying to stay green with ya there kevin. If I drove down to Socal, would you teach me how to tune if I brought my computer and my prom burner, that way I can tune Norcals cars?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Supreme Member

But you do have to realize there are A LOT of guys passing emissions still WITHOUT the equipment as well. So its hard to say keep the equipment when I can rid my engine bay of it (LOTS OF ROOM) and still pass a smog test anyway. I may not get a HP/TQ increase but my engine bay is way cleaner and more open and working on the car is 100x easier than before. So I look at it as because of new technology we dont need all these emissions parts anymore as much as we did back then, granted they do work and do clean up more in the exhaust but if I pass the test I passed...so what if I have no emissions I passed and thats all that matters to the gov'n is when it shows on paper.

So Im just saying, why, when I still pass without it
Old 02-17-2009, 09:46 AM

[QUOTE=Kevin91Z;4046616]Its probably an air foil that fits in between the throttle blades.

Yeah, thats what it is Kevin...was on the car when I bought it. Not sure if it really works, but the theory sounds good. I'm still looking for new cats, found a pair of high flows on ebay for $80 last night with 2days bidding left...we'll see what happens.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: Carbed L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Here is an option on staying "Green" and saving some "$$GREEN$$". Replace the old cats with the free flowing ones priced above in the $60 range. Then take the old cats to the scrap yard. If the are in ok shape and not crumbled inside, they should bring $30 to $60 each.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 406
Transmission: 350th
Axle/Gears: 373:1

Originally Posted by bluegrassz
Here is an option on staying "Green" and saving some "$$GREEN$$". Replace the old cats with the free flowing ones priced above in the $60 range. Then take the old cats to the scrap yard. If the are in ok shape and not crumbled inside, they should bring $30 to $60 each.
Sounds like a plan.

I have a carbed 70's block 400 sbc, with cats, and a muffler. With the white paint it makes it real easy to beat 5.0's with flowmasters or straight pipes foir money.

Oh and you're a lucky dog indeed. I only got brownies for valentines day, but that could be because I'm 19 and my girlfriends 18?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:22 PM

My parts came in yesterday...it was like christmas when I was a kid Still checking on cats & valve springs...but hoping to atleast get the headers on this weekend. Also got my kirban afpr for the hsr & installed today...felt nice to drive the 'bird again
Old 02-18-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bullydawg
I am trying to stay green with ya there kevin. If I drove down to Socal, would you teach me how to tune if I brought my computer and my prom burner, that way I can tune Norcals cars?
Yes of course. I will teach anyone what I know about PROM burning.

Originally Posted by I H8 WWD
But you do have to realize there are A LOT of guys passing emissions still WITHOUT the equipment as well. So its hard to say keep the equipment when I can rid my engine bay of it (LOTS OF ROOM) and still pass a smog test anyway. I may not get a HP/TQ increase but my engine bay is way cleaner and more open and working on the car is 100x easier than before. So I look at it as because of new technology we dont need all these emissions parts anymore as much as we did back then, granted they do work and do clean up more in the exhaust but if I pass the test I passed...so what if I have no emissions I passed and thats all that matters to the gov'n is when it shows on paper.
So Im just saying, why, when I still pass without it
Yes, I wish the test was just what comes out of the tail pipe and who cares what's under the hood. But that is not the way the law is written. I believe in following the law. Most lawmakers feel the same way. They dont care about the fairness of the law. They only see people breaking the law so they write new laws or make tougher punishments for lawbreakers. I dont want to see it become illegal to modify a car at all.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Supreme Member

Yes of course. I will teach anyone what I know about PROM burning.

Yes, I wish the test was just what comes out of the tail pipe and who cares what's under the hood. But that is not the way the law is written. I believe in following the law. Most lawmakers feel the same way. They dont care about the fairness of the law. They only see people breaking the law so they write new laws or make tougher punishments for lawbreakers. I dont want to see it become illegal to modify a car at all.
Im keeping my cat

I understand, I wouldnt want to not be able to modify my car either....I would have to start my life over if that happened, might have to get into Chess or something.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:23 PM

I ordered new cats yesterday, hopefully they will be here early next week. Just need to figure out why I lost the injector pulse. Got spark, fuel pressure, but a noid light for the injectors just barely lights and is steady, instead of blinking. I'm gonna replace the ignition module tomorrow. Any other ideas for no injector signal?