Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

USA OUT SOURCING

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 iroc
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: .323?
USA OUT SOURCING

I LOVE AMERICAN PRODUCTS,I TRY TO BUY THEM WHEN I CAN.WE LIVE IN A COUNTRY TRATS A MELTING POT, AND TRADES WITH THE WORLD.IM 35, AND SENSE I WAS A KID ALL MY MOTHERS WHAT NOTS,AND MY TOYS SAID MADE IN CHINA.NOW MY ELECTRONICS ARE FOR THE MOST PART MADE IN JAPAN. NOW HERE I AM ABOUT TO OUTSOURCE AGAIN. THE EDLEBROCK PERFORMER RPM AIRGAP IS $230 SHIPPED. THE PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS CROSSWIND IS $145 SHIPPED. I ALREADY HAVE A PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS PERFORMER KNOCKOFF. IT IS CALLED A CYCLONE. I ALSO BOUGHT PROCOMP 190CC CYCLINDER HEADS. MY CYCLONE AND HEADS PERFORM FLAWLESSLY. I AM VERY PLEASED WITH THEM. I WAS NOT GOING TO BUY EITHER ONE UNTIL I NEEDED A FUEL PUMP. I WAS ABOUT TO SPEND $177 SHIPPED FOR A HOLLY BLACK. THEN I FOUND OUT HOLLY IS OUTSOURCING TO PROCOMP. I CAN BUY THE HOLLY BLACK FROM PROCOMP WITH A FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR FOR $68 SHIPPED. THEN I THOUGHT ABOUT ALL THE CARS WITH AMERICAN NAMES ON THEM THAT ARE REALLY OUTSOURCED. I HAVE FELT OUTSOURCING BECAUSE MY JOB GOT OUTSOURCED AFTER 5 YEARS. SO HOW DO YOU SUPPORT AMERICA WHEN AMERICA IS OUTSOURCING AMERICA?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: SOLD!!!!!
Re: USA OUT SOURCING

you have to be able to get rid of greed first.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Originally Posted by chevy lover
I CAN BUY THE HOLLY BLACK FROM PROCOMP WITH A FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR FOR $68 SHIPPED.

Link?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gumby
Link?
RACERSAUCTION-EBAY
Old 06-28-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2003 F-150
Engine: 4.6L Modular V8
Transmission: 4R70W
Axle/Gears: Ford 8.8"/3.55 LSD

Originally Posted by chevy lover
SO HOW DO YOU SUPPORT AMERICA WHEN AMERICA IS OUTSOURCING AMERICA?
By buying stuff that is made in America. Ever heard of Snap-On? Best tools on Earth. Theres a reason why they charge almost $300 for a torque wrench and well over $1000 for there tool chests. Also, look at the smaller people who specialize in what they do, like Spohn or UMI. They are 100% US companies. And finally, don't bitch about outsourcing America when you yourself will save money to buy stuff made elsewhere.

I don't agree with Buy American policies because that discourages competition in the market and raises prices. I'm all for saving money, but you also have to weigh the cost of an item against its quality. There are alot of things in modern life that aren't worth pouring tons of money into like a PC. In a consumerist society like ours, most things are obsolete in 6-18 months. However, when you start talking about things you are going to have for 5 years or more you have to view it as a capital investment. And its at that point when you really need to research cost & quality. I don't care what goes into my PC except for the chassis and PSU because I build my own. In 6 months, whatever I put in it is outdated, so why waste the money for a beastly machine when I can put more money towards rebuildability. But when it comes to tools or car parts, I want something that will allow to recoup my investment over the life of the item.

And please, don't type all in caps, it makes it look like you are yelling at us.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by 89_RS
By buying stuff that is made in America. Ever heard of Snap-On? Best tools on Earth. Theres a reason why they charge almost $300 for a torque wrench and well over $1000 for there tool chests. Also, look at the smaller people who specialize in what they do, like Spohn or UMI. They are 100% US companies. And finally, don't bitch about outsourcing America when you yourself will save money to buy stuff made elsewhere.

I don't agree with Buy American policies because that discourages competition in the market and raises prices. I'm all for saving money, but you also have to weigh the cost of an item against its quality. There are alot of things in modern life that aren't worth pouring tons of money into like a PC. In a consumerist society like ours, most things are obsolete in 6-18 months. However, when you start talking about things you are going to have for 5 years or more you have to view it as a capital investment. And its at that point when you really need to research cost & quality. I don't care what goes into my PC except for the chassis and PSU because I build my own. In 6 months, whatever I put in it is outdated, so why waste the money for a beastly machine when I can put more money towards rebuildability. But when it comes to tools or car parts, I want something that will allow to recoup my investment over the life of the item.

And please, don't type all in caps, it makes it look like you are yelling at us.
Sorry about the caps, i cant type.im just a regular country boy hs. ed.most of my jobs mave been hard industrial,construction,lobor work.right wow i make $14hr to build bridges 72hrs wk.i think u r missing my point. no offense.what im saying is, why buy a holly black$177. when holly sells out to procomp for $? i can just buy a holly from procomp.
hollys getting paid twice! hollys not worried about outsourcing.and from what im reading iTHINK u agree with me?

Last edited by chevy lover; 06-28-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:51 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: tree-fiddy

Like mentioned before. It's all about the dollar. A lot of trusted and "quality" brands built their rep on American labor and pride. Then it came down to the almighty buck so those that built the company were dumped and the slave labor of China.

The Chinese can make a quality product. It's a matter of the parent company QCing their product.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.NickRiviera
Like mentioned before. It's all about the dollar. A lot of trusted and "quality" brands built their rep on American labor and pride. Then it came down to the almighty buck so those that built the company were dumped and the slave labor of China.

The Chinese can make a quality product. It's a matter of the parent company QCing their product.
im 35 with 3 kids an a wife.i had to move 300mi.to be closer the our parents 4 help if needed. my outsourced job paid me 26hr to make Lowes signs,e left on friday,monday they gave us a check and it was over.enternet says my job pays $2.50hr in mexico.im not mad at Mexicans they didnt do it.im not mad at anyone.just getting insite.as im about to open a buisiness
Old 06-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A, 83 Z/28
Engine: 5.0 TPI, 350 2 X 4 bbl
Transmission: 4 speed auto, 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, 3.73 std

Well it is unfortunate but its challenge these days. How do we support America when nothings made here? In essence we cant not in a conventional sense. In your example with the fuel pump sure you could buy if from holley so they can skim their cut of the profits off the top technically that would be supporting America but in my eyes its more of a donation where all the "administrative fees" go to pro comp. Thats not really solving the problem though. When foreign countries are willing to produce something at 1/10 the cost we could its hard not to see the logic in it and thats why nothing is being done here today. Times change and so must we adapt. We cant expect them to change their policies or raise their wages to give us the edge. So where does that leave us? We need to change. There was a time not all that long ago when we did things. People were motivated and intuitive. I mean our country started out from nothing and in less than 200 years became a wold power to be reckoned with. That does not happen on accident or luck there were talented hard working individuals that made it happen. Look at all the technological advancements and inventions we made over the years in generations past. This is why we were irreplaceable in the global economy. I mean we sent a man to the moon on relatively short notice just to spite the russians lol. And we did it. Sure they can copy whatever we do but thats why need to keep developing technologies to be one step ahead we cant be lazy and rest on yesterdays achievements. Today my generation is more likely to vote for their favorite american idle than the next president of the united states. If people really want to put the US back on top our society as a whole needs to get motivated take education and politics more seriously hopefully pick up some morals along the way. Maybe then with this new attitude paired with classical american values that have been seemingly forgotten we can be great again. I guess what im trying to say is if you want to support america we have to start with americans first.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder
Well it is unfortunate but its challenge these days. How do we support America when nothings made here? In essence we cant not in a conventional sense. In your example with the fuel pump sure you could buy if from holley so they can skim their cut of the profits off the top technically that would be supporting America but in my eyes its more of a donation where all the "administrative fees" go to pro comp. Thats not really solving the problem though. When foreign countries are willing to produce something at 1/10 the cost we could its hard not to see the logic in it and thats why nothing is being done here today. Times change and so must we adapt. We cant expect them to change their policies or raise their wages to give us the edge. So where does that leave us? We need to change. There was a time not all that long ago when we did things. People were motivated and intuitive. I mean our country started out from nothing and in less than 200 years became a wold power to be reckoned with. That does not happen on accident or luck there were talented hard working individuals that made it happen. Look at all the technological advancements and inventions we made over the years in generations past. This is why we were irreplaceable in the global economy. I mean we sent a man to the moon on relatively short notice just to spite the russians lol. And we did it. Sure they can copy whatever we do but thats why need to keep developing technologies to be one step ahead we cant be lazy and rest on yesterdays achievements. Today my generation is more likely to vote for their favorite american idle than the next president of the united states. If people really want to put the US back on top our society as a whole needs to get motivated take education and politics more seriously hopefully pick up some morals along the way. Maybe then with this new attitude paired with classical american values that have been seemingly forgotten we can be great again. I guess what im trying to say is if you want to support america we have to start with americans first.
Rolling Thunder remember,WE are a melting pot made of ALL people.Some of witch didnt like AMERICA,and get tax brakes 4 coming here. i love AMERICA,but if u gave me $1,000,000 4 my patton,MAN ,it would be yours so fast!,`AND THAT IS WHAT THESE COMPANIES R DOING

Last edited by chevy lover; 06-28-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A, 83 Z/28
Engine: 5.0 TPI, 350 2 X 4 bbl
Transmission: 4 speed auto, 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, 3.73 std

Well lets run with that example for a moment. You have a patton for something lets say for and revolutionary car part and I as another company say hey ill buy that from you. Say I offer you your $1,000,000 would you still accept it if it was something that could net you 10 million or 100 million? Even if you did accept it what would do with that million? If you threw into R&D to develop the next best thing you would again leave me in a position where i was forced to buy you out again or fall behind leaving you with even more resources to do even more. Eventually odds are unless you totally get screwed selling your patton for far less than its worth im going to run out of money and wouldnt have a choice anyways because I would be dependent on you and other people like you for my technology ensuring you will always have a job. Until I run out of money of course then its just you still leaving you with a job though lol.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:44 PM
TGO Supporter

Location: Avatar: My 34' 1989 Scarab III w/ twin 454's (502's Started!)
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Wellcraft Scarab III
Engine: Twin 454's
Axle/Gears: Twin Mercruiser Bravo I's

Guys/Gals, I am closing this. I tried to save it yesterday by removing posts that broke TGO rules but many new posts continue to break them and is not 3rd Gen specific.

Any questions PM me. Thanks.