Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Carbon Creations carbon fiber hood, cowl ind.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon Creations carbon fiber hood, cowl ind.

Looks like I can find this hood [PN: 103616] in carbon fiber for about $660 [shipped]. I was wondering if anyone had heard good or bad things about the product, had any advice or maybe even a better/cheaper suggestion?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: Carbon Creations carbon fiber hood, cowl ind.

Carbon fiber hood for 660 shipped? Not a chance, way too cheap. Sounds fishy
Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Originally Posted by DBB2k11
Looks like I can find this hood [PN: 103616] in carbon fiber for about $660 [shipped]. I was wondering if anyone had heard good or bad things about the product, had any advice or maybe even a better/cheaper suggestion?

Thanks!
I created a direct link to the hood so we could get a quicker look = http://www.carid.com/1982-chevy-cama...it-305223.html
Old 01-31-2012, 09:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi

Carbon Creations is an division of Extreme Dimensions, who isn't exactly thought highly of, here on TGO, judging by posts I've read.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

Originally Posted by BlackenedBird
Carbon Creations is an division of Extreme Dimensions, who isn't exactly thought highly of, here on TGO, judging by posts I've read.
if thats true, its another reason to stay away.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
if thats true, its another reason to stay away.
Check out the video (green arrow) below the big pic. 1:51 into the video, the Extreme Dimesions building is shown as where they come from.
http://www.carid.com/1982-chevy-cama...it-305223.html

Last edited by BlackenedBird; 01-31-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:32 PM

Thanks, I'd rather not find out the hard way that the product isn't any good. What sort of negative things could someone say about a hood, though?

Any opinions on the VIS carbon fiber hood?
http://www.andysautosport.com/chevro...r01020397.html

Any suggestions on another manufacturer?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 334 Stroker Superram 222/230
Transmission: Full Manual 700R4 / 3k Street Edge
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Eaton, Moser, Richmond & More

DO NOT buy anything that is or is affiliated with Extreme Dimensions.

I bought their version of the hawks spoiler and was borderline insulted by the quality. The lip didn't contour the edge of the decklid properly (It was about 1/4" higher on the pass side than the driver), It used screws instead of studs and bolts and many of the screws were rusted in right out of the box. I had to use PB blaster and a ton of manpower to crack them loose. Several of the screw holes were also stripped and the final straw was that only 2 of the bolt holes lined up properly on the center piece. I would have had to drill an entirely new bolt pattern into the decklid to make it work. Got a full refund and ordered the hawks version instead which fit like a glove.

Extreme Dimensions IMO is just a cheap ***** company and should only be ordered from if you own a $500 honda civic with a $50 CAI and a fart can muffler.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Supreme Member

Here's a thread concerning a carbon fiber hood = https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...hood-pics.html
On a different note, if you don't mind ,why a carbon fiber hood ?
When you do find a hood you want its a good idea to ask if the cowl is a true working cowl or do you have to modify it to work. Photos can be misleading.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 02-01-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ronusmcmma
.....On a different note, why a carbon fiber hood ?
Lightweight while maintaining strength.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Supreme Member

Most companies I have looked at selling carbon fiber hoods have strongly suggested two front hood pins so that's just some thing to take into consideration. I don't want this tread to turn into a "how will it look on his car" thread but I have a bad habit of trying to envision the concept of a build. Color schemes and such.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 02-02-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:40 PM

Well, now I don't know what to do. I had no idea that someone would make a non-functional cowl...that's stupid. I guess I'll skip the hood for now. I'd buy fiberglass but I'm concerned with the strength and durability.

Oh well, there are certainly other needed upgrades anyway.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Supreme Member

.....I'd buy fiberglass but I'm concerned with the strength and durability.....
There are more fiberglass hoods on cars without hood pins (without counting Corvettes) than with hood pins. Don't be worry about their strength. As long as it is a bolt-on hood not a pin-on hood, your good.

Last edited by BlackenedBird; 02-02-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird convertible
Engine: LQ4 ls 6.0
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 342 Limited slip

Originally Posted by FireDemonSiC
DO NOT buy anything that is or is affiliated with Extreme Dimensions.

I bought their version of the hawks spoiler and was borderline insulted by the quality. The lip didn't contour the edge of the decklid properly (It was about 1/4" higher on the pass side than the driver), It used screws instead of studs and bolts and many of the screws were rusted in right out of the box. I had to use PB blaster and a ton of manpower to crack them loose. Several of the screw holes were also stripped and the final straw was that only 2 of the bolt holes lined up properly on the center piece. I would have had to drill an entirely new bolt pattern into the decklid to make it work. Got a full refund and ordered the hawks version instead which fit like a glove.

Extreme Dimensions IMO is just a cheap ***** company and should only be ordered from if you own a $500 honda civic with a $50 CAI and a fart can muffler.
I do agree I bought a duraflex hood from them and it had to be the worst hood I have ever installed or should I say tried to install check out the photo of my car with the hood installed before you buy
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Creations carbon fiber hood, cowl ind.-img00006-20110818-1637.jpg  

Last edited by Mirror Image; 02-21-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:05 AM

No way! That's terrible.

Anyone have experience with this steel hood? It says the cowl is functional, which I've learned to look out for...
CarHoods.com Stock # 300-3582-2 [Won't let me link to it, sorry]
Old 02-21-2012, 09:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird convertible
Engine: LQ4 ls 6.0
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 342 Limited slip

No way! That's terrible.

Anyone have experience with this steel hood? It says the cowl is functional, which I've learned to look out for...
CarHoods.com Stock # 300-3582-2 [Won't let me link to it, sorry]
yeah then it was a act of congress to get a refund take pictures send a ivoice from a shop then never did get the shipping back had to pay to get it here and pay to send it back it was a bummer I will never buy anything with that name on it
Old 02-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1993 GMC Typhoon
Engine: 4.3 Turbo
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Lightweight while maintaining strength.

seriously... people... THATS CARBON-FIBER REINFORCED POLYMER!!!! not a freaking fiberglass overlayed hood.. all those hoods and parts are, are fiberglass with a layer of carbon fiber fabric layed in and glassed. all you are getting in strength is the same level of fiber glass strength.. NOTHING ELSE

Light weight and strength, is what Carbon Fiber Reinforced pieces are.

the short version of the process is: 7-10 layers alternating carbon fiber and resins.. pressed into a mold with few thousand pounds of force.. then sent into an autoclave to bake the resins and carbon together forming a seriously strong piece.

This costs thousands of dollars, this is how they make parts for formula 1 and aircraft pieces, not cheap-o $600-$1500 hoods.. a hood made like that would be closer to $5000

Last edited by KiLLJ0Y; 02-21-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by KiLLJ0Y

seriously... people... THATS DRY CARBON!!!! not a freaking fiberglass overlayed hood.. all those hoods and parts are, are fiberglass with a layer of carbon fiber fabric layed in and glassed. all you are getting in strength is the same level of fiber glass strength.. NOTHING ELSE

Light weight and strength, is what Dry Carbon pieces are.

the short version of the process is: 7-10 layers alternating carbon fiber and resins.. pressed into a mold with few thousand pounds of force.. then sent into an autoclave to bake the resins and carbon together forming a seriously strong piece.

This costs thousands of dollars, this is how they make parts for formula 1 and aircraft pieces, not cheap-o $600-$1500 hoods.. a hood made like that would be closer to $5000
I can't tell by your comment while quoting me if your trying to make fun of me or what, even though you basically just said what I did but in way more words. If you look at what I replied to, my words make perfect sense.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: TH350

I can't tell by your comment while quoting me if your trying to make fun of me or what, even though you basically just said what I did but in way more words. If you look at what I replied to, my words make perfect sense.
I don't think KillJoy was making fun of you, but to the statement 'save weight and strength' in general. Most of the hoods discussed in this thread, and others in the price range will be fiberglass with a cold-cured carbon fiber overlay. They look pretty, but offer little of the strength normally attributed to true carbon-fiber parts. And what strength are you talking about? The hood is a non-stressed part. It is simply a cover for the engine compartment to keep dirt, water and such out of the engine components, and offer some level of aerodynamics to help with mileage, and improve the looks some to appeal to the consumer.

If you are looking at a 'glass hood, but want the convenience of a bolt-on, then, definitely get a bolt-on hood. They'll be a little heavier than a pin-on hood, but will allow you to open the hood normally to work on the engine when needed. You do not want a pin-on hood on a street car. Should you have mechanical trouble on the road, they are miserable to deal with lifting off the car, keeping up with them in even the slightest breeze, and pinning them back on when done. Still, with a bolt-on hood, you'll want to use pins, or AeroCatches on the leading edge corners. Very few bolt-on hoods have a metal latch molded in for the hood latch to hook to, and you'll soon wear that area out. You DON'T want a hood opening on you on the freeway.

Nearly all fiberglass hoods will require some trimming and fitting to a specific car. Move the hood to another car, you'll likely need more trimming and fitting. Some hoods are better than others. It's probably best to find a good body man, have the hood shipped to his place, and leave the car with him for fitting, for a street car.

And nearly all bolt-on hoods will lift at the front corners at highway speeds, unless they are pinned down. It can get pretty unnerving seeing the hood flapping around when going down the highway. Invest in pins. Better yet, invest in AeroCatches, you'll _know_ when they aren't latched. It's not so obvious with regular hood pins. Again, you don't want the hood flipping up at highway speeds. It's dangerous, and _very_ embarrassing.

Just sharing some experience.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by gbeaird
.....And what strength are you talking about?
Reducing weight while maintaining strength of the part. A lift-off equals the weight (+ or -), but certainly not the strength. CF is the only way to get both.

Originally Posted by gbeaird
If you are looking at a 'glass hood, but want the convenience of a bolt-on, then, definitely get a bolt-on hood. They'll be a little heavier than a pin-on hood, but will allow you to open the hood normally to work on the engine when needed. You do not want a pin-on hood on a street car. Should you have mechanical trouble on the road, they are miserable to deal with lifting off the car, keeping up with them in even the slightest breeze, and pinning them back on when done. Still, with a bolt-on hood, you'll want to use pins, or AeroCatches on the leading edge corners. Very few bolt-on hoods have a metal latch molded in for the hood latch to hook to, and you'll soon wear that area out. You DON'T want a hood opening on you on the freeway.

And nearly all bolt-on hoods will lift at the front corners at highway speeds, unless they are pinned down. It can get pretty unnerving seeing the hood flapping around when going down the highway. Invest in pins. Better yet, invest in AeroCatches, you'll _know_ when they aren't latched. It's not so obvious with regular hood pins. Again, you don't want the hood flipping up at highway speeds. It's dangerous, and _very_ embarrassing.

Just sharing some experience.
I've had several cars (including 3rd gen Camaros) with aftermarket glass hoods without pins of any kind & never experienced the corner hood lifting. Daughter has one now (90 Camaro w/'glass 3"cowl induction) & it doesn't lift either.

With a pair of helping hands, I'll have my bolt-on Harwood 3" Cowl Induction hood on this afternoon & without pins. And hadn't really planned on getting any either.