Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

FI Tech EFI?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 08:01 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23
Re: FI Tech EFI?

Originally Posted by blackbmagic
Never had a computer controlled distributor so I cant comment.

I am talking about a standard HEI vs a external coil small cap distributor. The pickup coils are different. When locking out your timing (which is needed for EFI computer to control timing) phasing becomes important and not only the cap/rotor but the pickup.
Right. I'm talking about an electronic HEI distributor, intended for use on computer controlled applications. Factory on all TPI and TBI Fbody.

I'm not talking about modifying a non-computer controlled dizzy with a mechanical advance mechanism.

I use a large cap HEI (coil in cap) borrowed from the y-body on my car, a Megasquirt ECU, and a miniram intake.

I've been tempted to try a FI-Tech or Sniper, but I don't know how I feel about the electronics. I think the features and functionality are probably quite limited vs what I'm used to. I wish I could buy just the throttlebody/injectors/sensors for like $500.

-- Joe
Old 09-21-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FiTech EFI Fuel Injection - "Designed and Engineered in Riverside California, Manufactured in China"

FiTech Deal Breaker for me...
Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28
Engine: 357
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4.11

Update, it seems that e85 was the underlying problem, i switched back to gasoline, and i have absolutely no issues, as for the customer service, your pretty much on your own. When i first got the system i talked to the owner and he did not listen to what i was trying to tell him, and repeatedly blamed me for the issue because i changed settings. After a while i couldnt contact him anymore and i would always get bryce, i spent a year back and fourth with him with no positive results. Then the thing that broke the camels back was during the same time frame i was communicating with him trying to figure this out, i came across a post on another website which stated bryce told the individual they were still working on a way to get e85 to run properly, and that he recommended to add 30% to your engine CI, neither of theese things were mentioned to me.(and i have all our emails back and fourth saved and trust me i re read them 4 times to make sure) Which pissed me off. So after that i put 93 in it, restarted everything, and tuned it my way, and the car runs mint, hard to stall it if you try. As for it being made in china, really doesnt matter, i probably even mentioned this in this thread before, the guy complaining about where its made, is probably typing his complaint on a Chinese device. As far as reliability, Ive had way less problems with it then i did with carbs, especially a holley.

I also have a g body cutlass with a big block olds, (my fast car) and the only reason i havent put one on that car also is because i dont feel like i should give a company $1500 dollars for a product they couldnt help me with or even inform me that they already knew e85 was still a work in progress, one sentance stating that could of saved me a year of aggravation. E85 was the selling point for me, so im hoping one day ill figure out how to make it work good.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bohemian
FiTech EFI Fuel Injection - "Designed and Engineered in Riverside California, Manufactured in China"

FiTech Deal Breaker for me...

To me personally, IF I can buy something I'm after American Made I do...
Even IF it costs more; regardless of what kind of item it is.

Doing my part to Make America Great Again. #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

There are a plethora of American Made Electronics from Cell Phones to EFI Systems so there are choices out there for those that look and price is not their only concern...

Some USA Made EFI's for example...

FAST EZ-EFI Made In USA
https://www.firstfuelinjection.com/

Edelbrock E-Street EFI Made In USA
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/3665/10002/-1

Holley Terminator Stealth EFI Made In USA
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...erminator_efi/
http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/550-405/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/p/Holley/Holley-...28585/10002/-1

Peace.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ
Engine: 421 Dart Stroker
Transmission: 4L60E Cahall Performance Built
Axle/Gears: Midwest Chassis Fab 9/ 3.55 gears

Holley cant be beat for customer service. First they have a knowledgeable tech line,that is open on sat as well. Then the Holley tech website that has a ton of posts and they respond quick to questions posted. This would be the deal breaker for me. If you cant diagnose the stuff you sell, why sell it. Holley stands behind their product.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:43 PM

If only if it was that simple, most of the time when you purchase something made in america you just make a ceo richer, who pays there employees 10 dollars an hour, a wage that cant be used to live on, so i dont care where it comes from, i care if it works, and holley is the biggest scum monopoly company out there, buying every brand and then charging whatever they want, because theres no where elce to go.

Do you really think they would have ever made the sniper efi at that price if fitech didnt exist? No. They would charge double like they normally do.

If the chinese product isnt up to par, why do they feel the need to compete?
Old 09-21-2017, 12:45 PM

If they could get the customer service situation sorted out. it would be the only logical option for an aftermarket TBI system.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Supreme Member

I doubt Holley pays its employees 10 an hour for one. When you are paying say 1500 for a Holley efi and there are literally 100s upon 100s of installers around the country for those who want to go that route or do the install yourself. You are covered 360 if you run into problems. You pay cheaper for the EFI tech and look around this site for example, problems with no solutions. Search the web, alot more problems. Holley not so much. Its well supported. Sucks when you pay that much and you are just as lost as the place selling you it. Almost all dyno shops in the US tune the Holley. Until the FItech is on the same level for support Id recommend a pass on that system.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:58 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

Originally Posted by Zach12890
If only if it was that simple, most of the time when you purchase something made in america you just make a ceo richer, who pays there employees 10 dollars an hour, a wage that cant be used to live on,
That's why people need to obtain education so that they can get better jobs and live the American dream. I doub't Holley is paying their engineers $10, heck they probably are not even paying the guy who cleans the toilets $10 an hour. (Probably because he's a union thug)

CEO's are paid to make money, and that is what a company should do. If CEO's were not making money off my investment into their company, I'd want them terminated or pull my money out and put it into another successful business.

-- Joe
Old 09-21-2017, 02:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: '84 Trans Am
Engine: 357 SBC
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73, Torsen Diff

I'd be willing to wager that the installation base for FiTech is much larger than the Sniper EFI currently. It's been out longer, and it has cheaper units.

That being said, you have to take some of the reviews you find when you're researching with a grain of salt. The larger installation base means there will likely be more complaints. Now estimate how many people are notcomplaining.

I'd also wager that the problem with customer service at FiTech is due to them being understaffed. Their success took them far and beyond what they expected it to do, if I had to guess. Not that it's really a valid excuse at this point. They should've hired\trained more people by now.

As much as I wish everything were still made in America, it just simply isn't the case anymore. As a matter of fact, I can't find anything on the Sniper EFI info pages claiming that it was entirely manufactured and assembled in the USA either.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:17 PM

Thats a great point im willing to bet theres plenty of chinese parts on your "american made system"
Old 09-22-2017, 07:17 AM
Supreme Member

Just about everything made today isnt totally 100% American made. If a camry is assembled in the usa is it american made? If your camaro was built in mexico was it american made? If the factory making the parts in china is up to US spec its a buyers choice. Someone here quoted the Holley sniper system is new. It isnt. Its the same ecu based electronics that is used in the HP, that is used for all the terminator systems. You can knock Holley all day if you want but the $500 you save going with the cheaper system will cost triple in aggravation. Holley is well supported, and there is a reason why alot of tuners use them. Time cost money on a dyno. Shops dont have time to screw around chasing issues or hanging on hold for someone to get back to them on issues. Youbgo with what works. In the world of automotive aftermarket 500 is a drop in the bucket in terms of overall end cost. With built motors that can get into the 10,000 plus range most dont want to risk problems with a system that isnt well supported. Download the holley software for free, plat around with it. You do what you want in the end. But go by your local dyno tune and get there feedback.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:31 AM

Idk, I was never aware of a holley efi unit at a competitive price vs fitech until after fitech started selling, I was told by the owner who said he grew up on long island, that I was the first one he knew of on the island who had the system, Ive had it for a little over 2.5 years now, I havent spent any "aggravation" money on it yet, The only issue I really had was customer service which was explained above by some one elce, they grew faster then they expected, which I belive. Bolting that system on my car I went from keeping up with track proven high 12 cars to track proven mid 11 cars. So theres no arguement about it, It Works, plain and simple.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:34 PM

Marketers and manufacturers that promote their products as Made in USA must meet the “all or virtually all” standard. This publication offers practical guidance on Made in USA claims.
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...e-usa-standard

What does "all or virtually all" mean?

"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligibleforeign content.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:47 PM

Amd usually when they do meet the made in usa standards, its written everywhere, you cant miss it, so if you have trouble finding it or arent sure, its probably not. Even if its got one single chinese resistor on the board.. its still got a chinesr part in it so it is not truly american made. Maybe assembled, but not made.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bohemian
Marketers and manufacturers that promote their products as Made in USA must meet the “all or virtually all” standard. This publication offers practical guidance on Made in USA claims.
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...e-usa-standard

"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligibleforeign content.

Holley Terminator EFI - Made In USA
http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/550-405/10002/-1

Holley Sniper EFT - Made In USA
http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/550-510/10002/-1

FAST EZ-EFI - Made In USA

Edelbrock E-Street - EFI Made In USA

FITech EFI Fuel Injection - "Designed and Engineered in Riverside California, Manufactured in China"

IF one wants to split hairs on no or negligible foreign content, materials, manufacturing, etc., as defined by the FTC; clearly by any standard FITech EFI is the most Foreign Made EFI of those itemized.

Personally, my dollars go to products that are American Made by American Owned Companies, from American Materials or the Most American Made when there's an option.

Peace.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:07 PM

Thats why i have more extra dollars
Old 09-22-2017, 02:20 PM

I do not see any mention on that Jegs page stating that the Sniper EFI was made in the USA. Please correct me if I'm not seeing it. For that matter, I don't see it for the Terminator or E-Street either.

This brings around the point that I thought of making earlier, but didn't.

Why isn't the Sniper EFI declared as being made in the USA? Well, because it probably isn't. I believe they're relying on their other USA made products to let people assume that it is made in the USA.

So let's think about that for a moment. Why are we casting shade at FiTech when Holley is doing the same thing to compete with them? FiTech is very upfront about their product being manufactured in China. Holley is not, from what I can see.

All FiTech makes is their fuel injection systems. Holley makes and/or sells hundreds of lines of business. Some made in the USA, some not. I think it's more fair to judge the product on its craftsmanship and performance rather than where or where it wasn't made.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:21 PM

Side-note - Did anyone else notice that the Sniper EFI has a 1.5 star rating and the FiTech has a 4.3 rating? Granted, the FiTech has more reviews... But then we're back to the larger installation base\sample size again.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:24 PM

Another side note - i bet they would really have hurt feelings when they find out pretty much all the companies get there electronis from the same company. They all use the same sensors. Wonder what elce is the same. Beside shape and name.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jorlain
I do not see any mention on that Jegs page stating that the Sniper EFI was made in the USA. Please correct me if I'm not seeing it. For that matter, I don't see it for the Terminator or E-Street either.

This brings around the point that I thought of making earlier, but didn't.

Why isn't the Sniper EFI declared as being made in the USA? Well, because it probably isn't. I believe they're relying on their other USA made products to let people assume that it is made in the USA.

So let's think about that for a moment. Why are we casting shade at FiTech when Holley is doing the same thing to compete with them? FiTech is very up front about their product being manufactured in China. Holley is not, from what I can see.

All FiTech makes is their fuel injection systems. Holley makes and/or sells hundreds of lines of business. Some made in the USA, some not. I think it'smore fair to judge the product on its craftsmanship and performance rather thanwhere or where it wasn't made.

3o'clock on Terminator & Sniper & E-Street links I posted" Made In Usa" clear as a bell...

This company is family owned and operated and everything we produce is made right here in the USA! And carries a lifetime warranty on workmanship and it isbacked by a 30 day money back satisfaction

IF Holley, Edlebrock or Fast or Jegs or Summit or First Performance or others are making claims of a particular item being "Made In Usa" and they are not the FTC would be all over it...

E.G.:

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-made-usa-standard

You know how I had to find out FITech EFI was "Designed and Engineered In Riverside, California and Manufactured in China" ?

I contacted their technical support...

We can #MakeAmericaGreatAgain
IF more folks gave preferential treatment to American Made products over what's cheaper we wouldn't have 10's of millions of law-abiding U.S. Citizen's languishing in Unemployment, Underemployment, and Homelessness including Veterans; while we export American Manufacturing and Import Foreign Citizens.

IF I have a choice I buy American or the most American made products. Even IF it costs me more, it gives me peace of mind knowing I'm doing something to disincentivise companies from taking food out of the mouths of Americans Citizens.

Peace.

Last edited by Bohemian; 09-22-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:15 PM

I stand corrected - I must be going blind. You're right, it's quite apparent at the 3 o'clock position.

And I agree to an extent on purchasing things locally, etc. It's why I haven't purchased a foreign car for nearly 20 years.

That being said, aren't some of the sensors made elsewhere at the very least? Bosch, for instance, manufactures things in Germany for the most part I thought. Although they've contracted some manufactures in China before, too.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:22 PM

Did anyone elce notice the reviews on those products are horrible ?
Old 09-22-2017, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jorlain
I stand corrected - I must be going blind. You're right, it's quite apparent at the 3 o'clock position.

And I agree to an extent on purchasing things locally, etc. It's why I haven't purchased a foreign car for nearly 20 years.

That being said, aren't some of the sensors made elsewhere at the very least? Bosch, for instance, manufactures things in Germany for the most part I thought. Although they've contracted some manufactures in China before, too.

I think you're making assumptions and trying to split hairs and not making apples to apples comparisons with respect to EFI Systems ...

Another example... Motorola Makes 100% American Made Cell Phones and Foreign Made Ones as well...

Plenty of American Made Electronics...

Marketersand manufacturers that promote their products as Made in USA must meet the “allor virtually all” standard. This publication offers practical guidance on Madein USA claims.

"All or virtually all" means that all significant partsand processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, theproduct should contain no — or negligibleforeign content.
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-made-usa-standard

Holley EFI Division is based in Owensboro Kentucky and was recently named manufacturer of the year by the Kentucky Association of Manufacturers...

EDELBROCK
Edelbrock Corporation has six locations: Three in Torrance California, two in San Jacinto, California, and one in Sanford North Carolina totaling over 500,000 square feet. Torrance Headquarters include: R&D; manufacturing; state-of-the-art testing facilities, advertising and tech support. Less than a mile away is Russell Plumbing, our Distribution Center and Vic's Garage.

This location houses Vic's collection of street rods, classic cars, and the company archives containing our extensive collection of historic photos and memorabilia. Please give us a call and make an appointment if you would like to tour Vic's Garage. Our Aluminum Foundries are located close by in San Jacinto. In 2008 we added a new Permanent Mold and Heat Treat facility next to our existing sand cast foundry, which has been called "the most state-of-the-art sand cast foundry west of the Mississippi." This investment in American facilities is part of our commitment to "Made in USA" products and performance.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/company/

Negative Information & Reviews can be found about any product, you need to weigh through the totality of it and then make a judgment call...
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/test-...ew-sniper-efi/
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/holle...uel-injection/
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/insta...351-cleveland/
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...-market-today/

Google best EFI System and filter results by only those within the last year...
Holley EFI Sniper is at the top of the results...
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/bolt-...ng-efi-system/

I'm leaning towards a Edelbrock EFI System personally.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edel...29066/10002/-1

Plenty of good right ups and reviews on all the American Made Alternatives to FITech EFI that I've posted...
One can find 5 star ratings on any of them or 1 star if that's what they're looking for they'll ignore what doesn't fit the picture they're trying to paint...

to each his own...

My $ goes to American Made or mostly American Made when I have a choice.

Last edited by Bohemian; 09-22-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

These debates always interest me. My brother and I have them all the time. He firmly believes that in a free market economy, he is free to purchase the item that he feels best suites his needs, regardless of origin. And of course, he's right.

But myself, I will nave NO PART of communist parts on my Pontiac.

It's just a choice, no right or wrong. But we had this debate, again, just a few weeks ago at the Frankenmuth Autofest, as there's a retailer there with a big board of FITECH stuff...been there for years...and we debate it each year!
Old 09-22-2017, 06:43 PM

I agree. There is no right or wrong answer. It's all completely subjective. No harm in discussing these sorts of things.

I've been going back and forth with myself about it over the years. Usually its because I'm arguing with my wallet.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:15 PM

All things that say made in The U.S.A. are by law allowed to have 25% foreign content.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:07 AM
Supreme Member

While the sniper efi and FItech are simaler, I dont like the concept of all in one. I Like the seperate injectors from the ecu and throttle body like the terminator system,Holley hp and dominator. I bought my holley hp about 4-6 years ago and I paid 1400 or so complete. They still go for around there. So price wise it hasnt dropped to compete. The sniper efi and Fi tech are seperate different setups than the terminator Holley hp and dominator ecus. If you like the FI tech great. If the quality is there it will speak for itself. No need to justify your buying of it. I like Holley. You dont, dont buy it ,simple. New people looking to purchase need to weigh the pros and cons.