Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Hawks Thirdgen products

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 RS/89 Formula
Engine: 305 TBI/350 TPI
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.08
Hawks Thirdgen products

anyone know if these guys prices are over priced?? i want opinions, i am debating on buying a rear wing spoiler.
The following users liked this post:
Nefarious (03-11-2021)
Old 01-24-2018, 12:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91 TA / 91 Formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Hawks Thirdgen products

You can find the wing elsewhere but the price is in line. Call them and a lot of times they will discount stuff to help you out.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

I'd say their prices are fair, they aren't a bargain but they aren't crazy over priced either. They do have nice Friday sales on stuff though, they call it "Flash Friday" or something
Old 01-24-2018, 04:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Their prices are inline and cheaper than some of the eBay sellers. I think their shipping is a bit high. I almost bought on of the lower dash panels but they calculated shipping at $37 for a fairly flat, plastic panel.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Ebay prices are over priced. You can see this on Ebay by looking at widely varying asking prices for the same items, or comparing sold prices to what's currently available. Ebay prices are pretty much the MAXIMUM a thirdgen part will sell for. Also consider that 10% of every penny spent on an Ebay purchase, goes to Ebay and Paypal fees. So Hawk's prices being in line with Ebay prices is already an indicator their prices are on the high side.

Hawks has always been high in the Thirdgen market. Their prices were higher than Classic Industries and Year One back when they had a wide selection of Thirdgen items. Hawks Thirdgen resto parts are just as bad as any other resto part for another car, and generally their Thirdgen resto parts are more expensive than resto parts for other similar cars. Unfortunately, Hawks is about the only game in town for bringing new Thirdgen resto parts to market.

It is what it is, if you need an item and can't find it anywhere else, you're pretty much out of luck. If you can find the same item from another seller, and that item isn't a part that they brought to market, you can usually save some money dealing with the other seller. As far as second hand parts, their prices are always high, and so are Ebay's.

Disclaimer: Never had a bad or good experience purchasing from Hawks. I can't justify their prices. I'd feel guilty selling my parts for what they charge, like I was taking advantage. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Dswen68 (06-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:50 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 'ROC
Engine: 5.7L

Thirdgenranch comes in superlow a lot of the time vs Hawks, Summit etc..if they have what you're after.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

My last purchase from Hawks was my last!! I bought a washer bottle and coolant overflor tank as well as a underhood liner. Both plastic tanks dont fit correctly. The contour of them causes the mounting tabs to sit about a 1/2" off the inner fender. The washer bottle leaks from the pump and required me to take it back out and silicone the tank back in. The headliner is cheap as well.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28 & 1997 Z28 SS SLP
Engine: Sbc 305 TPI & LT1
Transmission: 700r4 and A4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt Posi 323 & Posi 323

all of my purchases from both vendors have been great. I have used Hawks a lot more. I am a "frugal" (ok a real cheap mo fo if i can save a few bucks) person and have felt that Hawks prices were a bit much, but they are quality, whether used, repo, GM or otherwise. I have used them for both 3rd and 4th gens and they have excellent communication, selection, timely shipping etc. This past year i was able to find the clutch fork and slave cylinder for the t-56 in my 95 z28 and numerous odds and end for both cars. They are super well versed in engine swaps/high performance, just all in all real car guys. If I ever get to the other coast, I would like to visit their "bone yard" of cars fro sale etc. Having said that, I hope they stay around a long time as the local junk yards are seeing less 3rd gens and i hope to be driving one or both of f-bodys for a long time. It may come that 3rd gen forum will be the last parts supplier standing.....BTW, I've also had good experiences with Sam Stranos, Founders, and UMI to name a few others
Old 01-25-2018, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28
My last purchase from Hawks was my last!! I bought a washer bottle and coolant overflor tank as well as a underhood liner. Both plastic tanks dont fit correctly. The contour of them causes the mounting tabs to sit about a 1/2" off the inner fender. The washer bottle leaks from the pump and required me to take it back out and silicone the tank back in. The headliner is cheap as well.
Oh man that sucks. The coolant and washer plastic repro bottles I was gonna order this week! Hawks seemed to be the only game in town.

Did you possibly get the wrong year range? For an '89 I was gonna do
http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/cama...-reproduction/

and then below there's an 82-87.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:16 PM
Supreme Member

Those tanks were under $20 each at the "stealership" when they were still available. Thinking the last one I bought was about $13, in 2006 or so. I can see them going up to twice the price, most everything else has, but $50 each feels like highway robbery to me. I suppose those profits pay for the advertising, the wild project cars you see in the magazines, and new products, but they just seem inflated for the market.

Just for some quick comparison, here are a few items for 5.0 Mustangs from Late Model Restoration, and equivalents from Hawks for thirdgens. Admittedly, not apples to apples, but just to illustrate how a similar business is able to offer similar parts, at reduced costs.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

No argument that Mustang interior and exterior parts are way cheaper than our F-bodies but it has been that way since I got into thirdgens in 2002. I honestly always attribute it to Mustangs having more of a following and 82-92 F-bodies along with our years being the red-headed step-children of GM. LS fourth gen came out and no one cared about the thirdgen anymore.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: Formula 350
Axle/Gears: 3.27

I'm a fanatical comparison shopper- used Hawk's a little bit but I generally end up using thirdgen ranch or someone else. For example Rockauto is selling the complete headliner sets right now for 226$ before shipping Hawks has them at 299$. They both use the same supplier. Hawks is working the market, unless it's a proprietary item that Hawks only sells you can likely do alot better.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:04 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Tibo
No argument that Mustang interior and exterior parts are way cheaper than our F-bodies but it has been that way since I got into thirdgens in 2002. I honestly always attribute it to Mustangs having more of a following
I follow your logic, but it's not just Mustangs. Go look at parts for earlier gen Camaros, or any other repro car parts for "every man" cars. Hawks is really doing something wrong when parts for cars that have little or no second hand market, have repro parts available for less money. You can say that those other cars have stronger markets, but you can also say that if Hawks prices were more in line, they'd sell more parts. Seems they just choose to deal in smaller volumes and higher prices, rather than the other way around.

I'm glad Hawks is out there. I'm glad their parts are available, it makes it easier for me to find the real thing, and in a pinch... I just think I'm more inclined to be patient and wait for an original part than to support a vendor I disagree with.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:07 PM

OK it turns out thirdgenranch has the coolant and washer bottles for both year ranges at $10 cheaper a piece. With the new ciggy lighter, ttop drip guards, and weathersweeps all beating everywhere else TGR has saved me ~$150. Superfast and friendly service. Highly recommend.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 iroc
Engine: 383 TPIS intake, Dyno Don headers
Transmission: 700R4 w/Pro-built Auto/transgo 2-3
Axle/Gears: 3.27/3.70 borg warner 9 bolt

TPI parts used to have a bigger selection of parts, but here is their coolant reservoir. http://tpiparts.net/inc/sdetail/11909/471, And I'm not sure if this one is correct. http://tpiparts.net/inc/sdetail/1457
Old 01-26-2018, 06:20 PM

Ah, forgot about that place. Yeah that's a great price. Luckily for my $15 difference on the two bottles there aren't the 89-92s lol.
Regardless, between the two providers lots of interesting bits (which Hawks in many cases wouldn't bother to stock) to replace faded/broken equivalents.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:31 PM

Great people, product are fine. I've never had a problem, and when I did, they rectified it to my satisfaction.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '87 IROC-Z
Engine: TPI 5.7

3rd Genners can be some of the worst customers I have ever seen. The only thing I can think of that might be worse are late 2nd Gen Camaro customers in the '90s or people trying to keep a Lumina on the road.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:28 PM

Car: Formula 350
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by GCrites80s
3rd Genners can be some of the worst customers I have ever seen. The only thing I can think of that might be worse are late 2nd Gen Camaro customers in the '90s or people trying to keep a Lumina on the road.
Yea - those pesky third genners are always looking for a fair price and decent service, those bastards!
Old 11-29-2018, 05:49 AM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A

Originally Posted by 88blueiroc
Great people, product are fine.

I've never had a problem, and when I did, they rectified it to my satisfaction.

The second part part of your statement makes zero sense. Really.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Great people, product are fine. I've never had a problem, and when I did, they rectified it to my satisfaction.
Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA

The second part part of your statement makes zero sense. Really.
Good call Big&BadGTA , if the guy never had a problem , just what problem DID they rectify to his satisfaction ????

Sounds like ALL of today's politicians to me , make sure every statement is contradictory to itself so no one can nail them down to any one point .

Now as to Hawks , I have bought from Bruce a few times and have been happy with each part I purchased . Are the parts a bit too pricey ? Well to be honest I've never bought anything big enough from him to bother comparison shopping , and the small parts I did buy seemed in the fair price range to me .
Old 01-25-2019, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol what does this mean "I've never had a problem, and when I did...."
Old 01-25-2019, 06:39 PM

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 427 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt / 3.73 TrueTrac

My first purchase from Hawks was the new 17" 88+ IROC-Z rims. I had a small issue with one of the rims. Probably was ok to most people, but I'm picky. They sent me a return label and sent me a new rim right away. Customer service was great.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

ive bought a ton of stuff from hawks over the years and never had a problem .. they have been around for a long time and we as third gen owners should appreciate that they stuck with us .. not many third gen vendors like hawks left ..
Old 01-26-2019, 02:19 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro
Engine: 5.3
Transmission: 4L80e
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 bolt

I'm not sure where the guys who say Hawks has good prices normally shop, but it doesn't. Nothing against them, I'm glad the site exists, but saying it is even close to a good deal is false. I search nearly everywhere online before I buy parts and Hawks has never had anything for the best price. I've bought parts for a 5.3, 4L80e and 8.8 swaps, suspension, exhaust, fuel system, lights, seals, wheels and tires. Hawks wasn't even competitive for any of that.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

I understand that certain parts that they make are expensive because they are probably small runs and there isn’t a huge market for them.

I’ve seen them improve some of their parts over the years and they definitely put more care and detail into parts that work with many different years and options. I wish they’d make the 87-88 convertible bow trim.. As far as I knew the IROC-Z rocker and bumper emblems were way off but the “Z28” ones are better..

If they get feedback from us that we recognize the difference between accurate reproductions and “good enough” reproductions I think they’ll keep getting better.. probably won’t come cheap but it’s better than not being able to find parts at all..

Old 01-27-2019, 09:43 AM

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 88 T.A.
Engine: 305 TPI

Originally Posted by Ibazzabar92
anyone know if these guys prices are over priced?? i want opinions, i am debating on buying a rear wing spoiler.
I bought a wing from them. Had to do some block sanding to the edges where it wraps around the window and a little sanding to the 3rd brake light to make it fit better. Was expensive with shipping but I thought it was worth the money.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

I believe I’ve heard most people that bought the Hawks wing were very happy with the product although some do complain about the price. It can’t be a cheap part to produce.

I’ve heard it’s better than the OEM wing which was known to crack from what I’ve heard. I’ve heard of people spending big bucks on NOS wings only to have those crack..

I don’t have personal experience with the part, but it sounds like one of those things Hawks gets right..
Old 01-28-2019, 10:10 AM
ksr

Received 221 Likes on 158 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 liter V-8
Transmission: 4 speed auto

Does anyone know of someone that sells reproductions of the center console for a 3rd gen Firebird? Mine isn't too bad, but it has the warping on the upper edges that seems really common and that will only get worse over time.

As common as this is, I'm surprised that I haven't seen any reproduction consoles for sale. The console and the wraparound spoiler seems like two things that, no matter how well the car has been cared for, eventually start to deteriorate. I've seen reproduction console lids, but not the console itself. The refurbished ones that I've seen online typically look like pretty sloppy (and overpriced) jobs.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

Its called shopping.. something some do it better then others... they have done me right in the past.. what it comes down to is. if you need a part.. how bad do you need it..how long are you going to look for it.. what shape do you want the part in.. I have found that if I Look long enough.. I can get what ya want..at a price I like.. some times Ya want it now!! ya pay the price..
at one time last year I posted I wanted billet hood hinges (82/92 Camaro) . have been loking for 2 years or more... and just 2 months ago.. Finally found a place making them..when I was looking I Put up $1000 for a set..after 2+ years..nothing.. then when I did get word on whos making them I paid under $590 shipped...Never Give up..Keep shopping.. remember.. How bad ya want it. how bad ya need it comes with a price tag..
and as for Ebay..I have made fantastic deals on Auto Meter/NOS/Tires/and other parts at 1/2 price some times..its called shopping!!

thank you Hawks..

PS.. thank RB for doing fantastic work with Billet! they keep sets instock.. I called..ordered. and had them in 3 days!

Last edited by articwhiteZ; 01-29-2019 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
Car: '89 Iroc Z28-15,100 Original Miles
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip, 2.77 Ratio

I bought quite a few items from them in the past 30 days for my new to me '85 IROC. No issues and all of my questions were answered by Ryan to my satisfaction. In some cases you might save a $10 bill by shopping on ebay but you might be returning it and buying from Hawks anyway...ask me how I know.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:31 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn

Purchased a few things from Hawks. Very good quality and fair pricing IMO.

You get what you pay for.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 178 Posts
Car: '89 GTA
Engine: ZZ6TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 3.70:1

I have purchased many parts from Hawks over the years and can't recall ever having an issue. Their customer service has always been very good and are happy to answer questions and give advice. They are on the pricier side and I don't really have an issue with that. They are a small business and need to make money to survive and to grow. Customer service comes at a higher price, they also reinvest some of their profit into developing new reproduction parts for us and they are really the only ones doing this. They are a convenient one stop shop, but that does come at a higher cost.

On the flip side, I understand being on a budget and shopping around to get the best price. There is nothing wrong with that either.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '85 IROCZ
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto

I'm interested in getting one too. let me know what they tell you. Thanks.
David Fleming (12-06-2020)
Old 03-19-2019, 05:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 1985 Iroc-Z
Engine: 440LSX
Transmission: l460e
Axle/Gears: 3.55 Wavetrac

Spent about $2000.00 over the past few weeks at Hawks. All items as advertised and packaged well. Anything that ships separate I get a e-mail with that info. Have bought a few items from E- Bay vendors. Some are good, some take forever to ship or reply to e-mails. Highly recommend Hawks.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS - Fully Restored w/Custom Int
Engine: LO3 with some mods
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Richmond

If you have actually ever been to Hawks Thirdgen (drove my 92 up there for a custom brake install several years ago) you would know that the main business is a full blown race shop w/dyno - selling parts is secondary. With that said, the prices are indeed high compared to other sources. HOWEVER, the owner, Bruce, is one of the nicest, down-to-earth people I have ever met - people that know him know that his shop does high quality work and don't mind and (after touring his shop and seeing some of his customer project cars) have the money to pay for his services. As such, he can charge higher prices because he has enough loyal and deep pocketed customers willing to pay.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:59 PM
Supreme Member

Well that's great, for the people who can afford to throw away money.

For those of us who have been around these cars long enough to remember what they were like when they were young, and what things used to cost, the quality of repro parts is disappointing, and the current prices are more inflated than just simply the effect of inflation. It borders on price gouging and artificially manipulating the market.

Personally I can't support a vendor that I feel is taking advantage of their customers. Makes it a bit of a bummer when they have something I'd buy if any other seller was offering.
David Fleming (12-06-2020)
Old 05-24-2019, 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Having come from the Mopar world, where several of my other old cars have little or NO aftermarket support, I was thrilled to be buying another 3rd gen. Between the SBC, for which everything under the sun is available (and at bargain prices comparatively), to having a car that sold in huge volumes (meaning I can still go to my local Craigslist 30 years later and find used parts for sale locally), and then the aftermarket parts (quality can be argued, but at least you have them...try finding a front fender for a '71 Charger)...these are all very nice problems to have indeed. One of my first purchases for my car was a Hawks spoiler (via a TGO group buy) and some fresh foglamps. No complaints about the parts, the service or the prices. Just glad to have them as an option.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:54 AM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 91 RS/ 99 T/A/ 72 Vette/ 02 Z28
Engine: LSx/ Dart400
Transmission: M6/ M6/ TH400/ 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 4.10's / 3.08/ 2.73

If you want to play at some point in one way or another you pay. In time or money or both. It's the nature of the game.

I love Porsches I don't own one because the cost of ownership and maintenance is more than I want to spend. If a Porsche was in the garage, I'd want to complain about the $1,500 timing belts and $1,800 sparks plug changes One of my former girlfriends had a 911 Turbo...Complaining other than reflecting poorly on me wouldn't accomplish much. They cost what they cost.

Keeping nice or restoring a 3rd Gen nice is similar, it costs to a lesser degree.

My dad had a 72 Vette and parts tended to cost more that's just the nature of the game. We were happy Ecklers made a business out of it even if the parts were expensive at times. One thing I noticed over the 36 years the vette has been in the family is Corvette owners complain about prices sometimes but they don't endlessly BMW (b***h, moan & whine) like that certain small segment of Camaro & Firebird owners.

Guess what? You can get most Corvette parts from a variety of suppliers with several levels of quality and cost.

It would nice to know how many car parts NEVER go into reproduction because of the highly vocal folks who endlessly whine and complain pricing. Frequently, folks that seldom buy under any circumstances unless the parts was 15 cents over cost.

Likely the endless carping about price by a small number of 3rd Gen owners probably reduced the number of companies willing to invest in putting parts into reproduction for 3rd Gen's. It certainly hurts with companies being willing to put 4th Gen parts into reproduction.

I'm grateful Hawks brings new products to market for our 3rd Gen's. I've been a happy customer since 2001

Last edited by Arctic White 91 RS; 05-31-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Axle/Gears: Stock

I ordered the aerowing from them and its 4-5 days to ship to NYS. I intend to order my entire soft interior from them in 1 big kit, just shy of 1300 bucks. But it has EVERYTHING. I did save some money getting all the door/t-top seals from 1Aautomotive however.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:47 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS convert
Engine: 5.0L TBI
Axle/Gears: 4th gen axle/4.11 gears

Did you ever get the spoiler?
Old 06-24-2021, 09:54 AM

I know this is an old thread. I went back and forth shopped everywhere read all the reviews and ended up breaking down and buying my rear wing Aero spoiler for my formula from Hawks.... $699.00 latter 😖. I haven't gotten it yet just placed the order yesterday but apparently they are all handmade to order. And from all of the reviews the best the market has to offer. Best fitment best quality best ease of installation. My cornhole is seriously puckering after spending that money but what else are you going to do, can't find any other Replacements, the original aerowings even if they were available for $1,500.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:20 AM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4

I know it’s an old thread, but since it’s still alive, I thought I’d share. Hawks is great if you buy parts from them, and only that. Do NOT let them touch your car in my opinion, and always double check any engine, transmission, or rear end you get from them. I ended up with some back and knee issues that caused me to swap my car from a t56 to 700r4.

I worked a “trade” deal with Bruce directly over the phone. I was going to give them literally everything for a t56 swap from my car (transmission, cross member, pedal assembly, shifter, hydraulics, etc) and in exchange, I was having them get a 700r4 rebuilt, standard brake pedal assembly, and I was also buying a spohn tubular cross member and torque arm bar kit to relocate the torque arm.

Long story short, I get the trans in and hooked up, and something isn’t right. I didn’t have time to deal with figuring it out, as I was about to go on a second deployment, so I coordinated with Bruce to have his guys take a look and get my car right while I was overseas for 6 months. My dad towed the car for me to Hawks where it sat for almost 4 of those 6 months. What I found out was that they sold me the wrong TV cable (they did correct this) and they also gave me a core transmission, not a rebuilt like we had agreed. I was told not to worry, because Bruce was having his guys get it right, they were going to pull the trans, send it off, and it would be right before I came home and went to get it.

2 months later, I’m back in the states and bring my truck and trailer down to Hawks to get my car. Seemed okay, but didn’t feel like it had the shift kit we’d agreed on installed. Not only that, but Hawks billed me over $1,200. I was willing to shrug it off, however less than 6 months later, my car has less than 500 miles on this “fresh transmission” Hawks had put together and installed in my car and it’s starts puking ATF all over the highway on the way home. When I called Bruce to ask about some kind of warranty on the transmission, I was told to just figure it out myself and they’d be happy to sell me whatever parts I needed to get my car back up and going.

I will not do business with Hawks Motorsports after that. It has been 4 years since that happened and I’m just now able to dedicate some time to get the car right, but it won’t be getting any additional parts from Hawks.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:32 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've purchased a lot of items from Hawks over the last decade. Are their prices the cheapest? Not on everything. Is it always in stock? Also no. I've had to wait for some items. I've never had an issue with customer service though. And I've never had any fitment issues that I couldn't resolve. There are some items where they are the only player doing repops though so I will continue to buy from them when I need certain items. And I expect I will continue to hear the same split opinon on the internet as to how good / horrible Hawks is..
Old 07-07-2021, 11:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,160 Likes on 653 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Drag Car
Engine: 383 on Ethanol
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Currie 9 inch

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from Hawks. I've had zero issues with them, or any of the products that I've bought from them. I've always recieved exactly what I've ordered, and it was exactly what I expected to get. I'm a happy customer and will definitely continue to buy from them.

Wait, i guess I do have one complaint....their aftermarket power antenna for third gens is an absolute pile of garbage. It's a universal fit item that needs to be modified to fit our cars, (see YouTube) and the drive belt snapped the very first time it powered up. It's a Chinese built piece of crap. Of course, I modified it to get it to fit, so I didn't even attempt to return it.

Other than that, nothing but good stuff from Hawks.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:38 AM

Location: Franklin, KY near Beech Bend Raceway, Corvette Plant and Museum.
Received 102 Likes on 79 Posts
Car: 1992 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 5.0L L03 TBI
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Originally Posted by dagwood
Wait, i guess I do have one complaint....their aftermarket power antenna for third gens is an absolute pile of garbage. It's a universal fit item that needs to be modified to fit our cars, (see YouTube) and the drive belt snapped the very first time it powered up. It's a Chinese built piece of crap. Of course, I modified it to get it to fit, so I didn't even attempt to return it.

Other than that, nothing but good stuff from Hawks.
You need to use the Crown Automotive power antenna kit for a Jeep Cherokee (XJ) (1987-1996) or Jeep Comanche (MJ) (1987-1992). Part# 56003151 It's a 99% bolt in for the factory power antenna used in a 3rd gen. Uses all the factory GM mounting hardware, antenna from the car uses the same connector and mounting hardware as the antenna cable pigtail on the Jeep antenna, same green, white, grey power wiring and connector GM uses with the same push through grommet, the finial at the top of the antenna is different it screws on and will swap with the GM finial. I actually like the Jeep finial better. What I had to do to swap them is rotate the cad plated mast housing to match GM antenna, remove two screws attaching Jeep antenna cable pigtail to mast and attach original GM antenna cable, on the cars I swapped it on the power cable was a little too short to reach the cars connector under the dash lower trim piece so I cut the wiring between the push through grommet and GM power antenna and cut the wiring on the Jeep power antenna and spliced the wires matching colors with solder crimp and seal butt connectors. You can't pull the antenna cable or power wiring through the push through grommet, it feels like it bonded in there and you couldn't pull the connectors through anyways. Since the Jeep antenna cable pigtail won't work just easier to cut the wiring in the fender and splice it there.

Note: If you want to save the GM antenna for rebuilding later and don't want to cut the wiring. Remove radio disconnect antenna, remove passenger lower dash trim and disconnect power connector for antenna, fish antenna cable out behind of radio pod there are a few fold over cable retainers or clips you need to remove it from, get all the wiring and antenna cable hanging loose in the floor, pull push through grommet out of car body and drag the GM power antenna and wiring and cable out of the car. Put Jeep antenna cable and wiring through hole in body and push the push through grommet into hole, extend wiring in car to reach connector, get antenna extension cable with correct female connector to fit Jeep antenna cable and full size Motorola antenna connector to go to 88 down factory radio or aftermarket radio and add mini Motorola adapter for 89+ GM factory radio. Note the connector needed to fit the Jeep cable is not the female version of a standard full size Motorola antenna connector. They do make antenna extension cables with the correct connector but I don't remember what it is called.

The following 2 users liked this post by Airwolfe:
Buddy (07-08-2021), Reddragon88gta (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 08:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,160 Likes on 653 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Drag Car
Engine: 383 on Ethanol
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Currie 9 inch

AWESOME INFO on the antenna!! Thank you!!!
Airwolfe (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 02:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 396 Likes on 310 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 9 bolt 3.27

Originally Posted by Airwolfe
You need to use the Crown Automotive power antenna kit for a Jeep Cherokee (XJ) (1987-1996) or Jeep Comanche (MJ) (1987-1992). Part# 56003151 It's a 99% bolt in for the factory power antenna used in a 3rd gen. Uses all the factory GM mounting hardware, antenna from the car uses the same connector and mounting hardware as the antenna cable pigtail on the Jeep antenna, same green, white, grey power wiring and connector GM uses with the same push through grommet, the finial at the top of the antenna is different it screws on and will swap with the GM finial. I actually like the Jeep finial better. What I had to do to swap them is rotate the cad plated mast housing to match GM antenna, remove two screws attaching Jeep antenna cable pigtail to mast and attach original GM antenna cable, on the cars I swapped it on the power cable was a little too short to reach the cars connector under the dash lower trim piece so I cut the wiring between the push through grommet and GM power antenna and cut the wiring on the Jeep power antenna and spliced the wires matching colors with solder crimp and seal butt connectors. You can't pull the antenna cable or power wiring through the push through grommet, it feels like it bonded in there and you couldn't pull the connectors through anyways. Since the Jeep antenna cable pigtail won't work just easier to cut the wiring in the fender and splice it there.

Note: If you want to save the GM antenna for rebuilding later and don't want to cut the wiring. Remove radio disconnect antenna, remove passenger lower dash trim and disconnect power connector for antenna, fish antenna cable out behind of radio pod there are a few fold over cable retainers or clips you need to remove it from, get all the wiring and antenna cable hanging loose in the floor, pull push through grommet out of car body and drag the GM power antenna and wiring and cable out of the car. Put Jeep antenna cable and wiring through hole in body and push the push through grommet into hole, extend wiring in car to reach connector, get antenna extension cable with correct female connector to fit Jeep antenna cable and full size Motorola antenna connector to go to 88 down factory radio or aftermarket radio and add mini Motorola adapter for 89+ GM factory radio. Note the connector needed to fit the Jeep cable is not the female version of a standard full size Motorola antenna connector. They do make antenna extension cables with the correct connector but I don't remember what it is called.

I really like this write up, you inspired me to get this unit and get my car back to looking more like factory and ditch the stationary mast I added when I first bought it.
Airwolfe (07-08-2021)