Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

My daughter's inherited Iroc

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My daughter's inherited Iroc

Hi, I'm Nitehawke, a frequent lurker and now a new member.

My now 19 year old daughter inherited her Dad's '85 Iroc (technically, he signed it over to her on her birthday a few months before he died to keep it from being tied up in probate "just in case". Sadly, that turned out to be good planning). He'd been fiddling with it off and on for a couple years (it was last registered by him in '07) but never really got around to telling me WHAT he'd done or what he'd planned to do.

Some of the issues I've found and corrected, mostly minor wiring problems (corroded ground wires, etc). Others I've used your board here to find hints of what the problem might be.

One is that it overheats when the ambient temp is high. I searched around here and found mention that the air dam should be checked. I checked. It's missing. Glad I checked here before ripping out the thermostat.

Problem is, I can't seem to find one. All I can find online seems to be a roof rack air diverter. Somehow I don't think that'll solve her problem. Suggestions?

Her horn doesn't work. The button is fine and it has power (I can hear the horn wheezing) and I have a horn I can install (because I bought it for my car but my kid's car comes first) but I don't know where the horn is located in this car. Can someone give me a hint?

Her driver's side front blinker isn't working either but I think that's just a relay. The park light works, so there's power there. It's just the blinker that's inoperative. I'll deal with that and hope someone catches this and can respond to the horn and air dam issues sometime soon.

This car has been sitting in my yard since November '08. Motor and tranny are both strong. It has a few minor body issues and an exhaust leak I need to deal with but the frame is good. She wants to DRIVE it, lol. I'm working on it as fast as I can. Appreciate any help you can give!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Too many
Re: My daughter's inherited Iroc

We have brand new original GM air dams available on our site. Here's a link if you're interested. Thanks!!!

http://thirdgenranch.com/-strse-958/...air/Detail.bok

Also, the horn is located under the hood just in front of the driver's side inner fender.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 160 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.

Buy the new Air Dam from thirdgenranch if you can't locate one. They'll be good.

If the horn is wheezing then its the horn, or check the ground from the horn to the chassis could be broken/corroded. If not just replace the horn.

Welcome to the boards.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:06 PM

Thanks very much! I knew someone here would be able to help me out. I'm still not finding an air dam locally so that link will be very helpful indeed!

It's coming together, slowly but surely. Replaced the horn and the blinker's working now. A little body work, replace the air dam, repair the exhaust and pick up a couple tires and it will pass inspection!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 6.0 LS
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70

for the blinker, GM designed it where if a bulb is out or the blinker part of the bulb is out it wont blink. sometimes you cant tell if its the bulb or not unless you actually lokk at it. blinker bulbs are a 2 filiment bulb. you have one fr your parking lights and the other is for the signal part and thats what is out.

also it may be the signal plug which is under the dr side dash infront of the right knee, its $5 part.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Does anyone really need a horn. All it does is cause road rage, and for some reason people would rather worry about hittin a horn than steering around what theyre about to hit.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 160 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.

Originally Posted by ATX-Iroc
Does anyone really need a horn. All it does is cause road rage, and for some reason people would rather worry about hittin a horn than steering around what theyre about to hit.
I use the horn all the time. quick beeps when pulling out of alleyways, blind parking spots...etc.

Plenty of uses beyond Road Rage.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 334 Stroker Superram 222/230
Transmission: Full Manual 700R4 / 3k Street Edge
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Eaton, Moser, Richmond & More

Originally Posted by ATX-Iroc
...and for some reason people would rather worry about hittin a horn than steering around what theyre about to hit.
LOL! You know, I actually thought this exact same thing before. Not once have I ever used the horn when avoiding an accident, because I'm too pre-occupied with avoiding it in the first place.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:49 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI (5.0L)
Transmission: 4 speed automatic
Axle/Gears: 2.73

lol. I am in the midst of fixing my horn as well. But I believe the button inside the steering wheel is missing, or been removed. IDK. I looked at my friend;s 89 RS and the inside of her steering wheel looks different than my 89RS. I have never used my horn, personally. I find them to be useless. It takes one hand to use the horn, whilst the other steers... If you are in a danger situation where the horn is necessary, I would be more preoccupied steering agressively (which takes two hands IMO)
Old 08-01-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z w/T-Tops
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: G92

Regarding the horn (of which mine is starting to wheeze also) some states, like mine - Massachusetts - require the horn to be working as it is considered part of the safety equipment. It is part of the yearly inspection sticker process.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 PM

The horn is required in my state as well. Trying to fix mine is a PITA
Old 08-02-2011, 07:00 PM

Car: 85 camaro z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Ditch the horn, hook these up instead lol

Its the La Cucaracha sound horns
Old 08-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am, 84 Fiero, 86 944
Engine: 5.0, 2.5, 2.5
Transmission: 5spd

horn is in front of the inner fender, beside the battery in my fiberbird, maybe camaros are different, there should be a plastic piece between it and the battery, two bolts and it comes right out, should actually be two in there, atleast i had two in mine, they both didn't work however because of an incredibly small peice of plastic within the steering column which is broken so therefor i had to "rig" a button to one horn and the battery anyway does anyone know where i could maybe get another one of this part, its a small plastic piece that attaches to a wired from the circuit board in my grant gt steering wheel
Old 08-03-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by kmcn47
horn is in front of the inner fender, beside the battery in my fiberbird, maybe camaros are different, there should be a plastic piece between it and the battery, two bolts and it comes right out, should actually be two in there, atleast i had two in mine, they both didn't work however because of an incredibly small peice of plastic within the steering column which is broken so therefor i had to "rig" a button to one horn and the battery anyway does anyone know where i could maybe get another one of this part, its a small plastic piece that attaches to a wired from the circuit board in my grant gt steering wheel
Indeed Camaro's are different. Our horns are located in front of the inner fender on the driver's side near the washer fluid resevoir. Each one is secured by one 14mm bolt. They wire running to them just snaps on to a terminal. We do have two horns as well. an F note, and an A note.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am, 84 Fiero, 86 944
Engine: 5.0, 2.5, 2.5
Transmission: 5spd

Originally Posted by jameecrockettRS
Indeed Camaro's are different. Our horns are located in front of the inner fender on the driver's side near the washer fluid resevoir. Each one is secured by one 14mm bolt. They wire running to them just snaps on to a terminal. We do have two horns as well. an F note, and an A note.
yeah my battery is right infront of the washer fluid resevoir, stock location