Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Rockauto any good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 04:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 663 Likes on 473 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Rockauto any good?

Originally Posted by JayP
I just received a cooling fan today in which was urgently needed for my only car not to mention in 100°F weather. Not only the item took 6 days to arrive but the fan motor is not working clearly due to poor packaging and/or manufacture. Now I have to return the item at my expense! To add injury to insult they don't have a replacement! DO NOT waste your money, time or energy with this company. Basically I just gave them $70+ gas$, days wasted This is the 2nd time RockAuto has provided bad service. I normally shop with PARTSGEEK and never had a issue with them and they sell the same brand parts and actually give you your full refund/shipping and dont charge you extra money for the convenience. NEVER AGAIN ROCK AUTO!
Meh, mistakes happen, it's how a company deals with them that matters. I've had literally dozens of orders from RA and only two farkled orders, both of which they made right.

Course, I didn't approach them like a self righteous dick whining about injuries & insults, so maybe that had something to do with it......

Old 06-30-2022, 04:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi

Rock auto has always been great for me. Fast shipping, easy returns and when I had some failed calipers they replaced asap
Old 07-01-2022, 09:56 AM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 IROC
Engine: 6.2L
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

JayP created an account and bumped an 11 year old thread. It is almost like he was so mad at Rockauto he googled the name, found a random forum, created an account and complained. I doubt he even has a thirdgen.
The following users liked this post:
OrangeBird (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 09:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 HO
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by JayP
I just received a cooling fan today in which was urgently needed for my only car not to mention in 100°F weather. Not only the item took 6 days to arrive but the fan motor is not working clearly due to poor packaging and/or manufacture. Now I have to return the item at my expense! To add injury to insult they don't have a replacement! DO NOT waste your money, time or energy with this company. Basically I just gave them $70+ gas$, days wasted This is the 2nd time RockAuto has provided bad service. I normally shop with PARTSGEEK and never had a issue with them and they sell the same brand parts and actually give you your full refund/shipping and dont charge you extra money for the convenience. NEVER AGAIN ROCK AUTO!
Six whole days? If you want it quicker, maybe buy local.

Rock Auto has been great for my purchases.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 663 Likes on 473 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by 89fast5oh
JayP created an account and bumped an 11 year old thread. It is almost like he was so mad at Rockauto he googled the name, found a random forum, created an account and complained. I doubt he even has a thirdgen.
That's funny, I thought the exact same thing, but I figured where I gave him the ol bitchslap about being a whiny dick, I'd let someone else whack him for the thread necro and not having a thirdgen.

Well done!
Old 07-01-2022, 01:48 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro IROC
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto O/D
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Been using RockAuto for years and they are competitive on pricing and have a good reference catalog, I'm typically comparing the pricing and shipping between them and Amazon lately. Amazon seems to win the battle with shipping costs being free with Prime.

RockAuto went online support only and you can't talk to anyone on the phone anymore so that's a negative.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:36 AM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 IROC
Engine: 6.2L
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by calidude
Been using RockAuto for years and they are competitive on pricing and have a good reference catalog, I'm typically comparing the pricing and shipping between them and Amazon lately. Amazon seems to win the battle with shipping costs being free with Prime.

RockAuto went online support only and you can't talk to anyone on the phone anymore so that's a negative.
I find the online/email support sufficient most of the time. I have used it 2 or 3 times.

The first time was a disaster though.

I ordered T-Top weather stripping. The first one was defective so they sent new ones, but I had to pay shipping. Next one was defective so they sent out another one but covered shipping. It showed up defective. Out of 3 sets, each one came with identical defect in the rubber. I even kept 2 sets until I got a 3rd to make sure they weren't just sending back the same ones over and over. In the end I have a slightly defective left seal and after credits/purchases I might have even paid a few $ more.

But my last interaction was good.
3 weeks ago I got a AC condenser for my Camaro, it arrived bent. I started the online return procedure and it said they couldn't ship and new one to me and that they would just refund my money. But the return postage would be deducted from my refund. I emailed the customer service direct with pictures and a somewhat blunt statement saying something along the lines of "I paid $95 shipping for a $120 part and I am not spending one more penny to get a new one". Later that day they sent me a prepaid shipping label and once it was scanned at the courier, they shipped out a replacement free of charge. So I was happy in the end.