Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

O'Reillys Battery warranty- WARNING!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700-4R
O'Reillys Battery warranty- WARNING!!!

Bought a Super Start battery from O'Reillys about 8 months ago for my pristine Turbo Trans Am 89. The battery started to require more and more "trickle" charges.. until just last weekend I charged the thing for about 3 hours on 2 amps.. tried to fire up the car and it sounded as dead as a door nail even-though the charger states 89% charged. WTF! It's only 8 months old.

So I take it to O'Reillys to get an exchange.. to make a long story short the TOOL behind the counter started to tell me that he can't find it in my history.. The freaking battery literally looks BRAND SPANKING NEW.. (didn't even wipe it down).. I tell the guy.. NOPE.. I purchased it 8 months ago and got about 30 cranks from the thing and now it's unreliable. He goes on this long tangent of how he's "working to work it out for me". BS! Yeah right.. Then wastes even more time looking at the terminal for the "missing entry". I tell him that when they entered the date they must have ****ED UP. Then he goes on and points to a little round sticker on the top of the battery saying that if they can't find it in the "system".. that they will have to go with the "date codes" on the sticker which is 4 years old. I told them.. NOPE I BOUGHT IT 8 MONTHS AGO AND I WANT IT EXCHANGED. I told them it's not my fault that they are moving OLD DATED PARTS.. that's not a legit reason to not honor a warranty. In fact if their employee ****ed up the entry deliberatly to "void warranties" then it's FRAUD.

I ended up getting the "manager" isn't here now, you will have to come back again. I'm like. yeah right. I'll take to another O'Reillys and get it exchanged. What a TOOL! The guy behind the counter was trying every angle to get me to buy into screwing myself out of a warranty..even the ol' "I ahve been written up multiple times and one more time for a non-warranty part and i'm thru". I told him.. I don't care about YOUR SOB STORIES.. all I care about is getting a legit warranty honored. If their guy screws up inputting warranty info.. THAT'S NOT THE CUSTOMER'S PROBLEM. I told him that obviously it's YOUR BATTERY. if I didn't purchase it 8 months ago.. then you will be able to tell me WHEN I DID because it's obvoiusly not over 4 yrs old. OF COURSE HE COUND'T FIND THE RECORD in the system which validates that SOMEBODY screwed up.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: Built 355 to install
Transmission: Built turbo 350
Re: O'Reillys Battery warranty- WARNING!!!

In my line of work (non automotive), no customer supplied proof of purchase no warranty, just saying......
The following users liked this post:
gwarren007 (08-06-2023)
Old 06-08-2015, 08:01 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

Sorry about your experience, but what the above person said...
It's an investment, you should take actions / responsibility to cover your ***.
The receipts the stuff is printed on, usually thermal paper, last about 6 months and start to fade. Many places, such as Advance Auto Parts, purge their systems after 2 years. So essentially, after 2 years, your record doesn't exist with them.

How do I cover my ***? I take a picture / scan of the receipt, then I email it to myself and keep it in a receipts folder... I just got new hood struts that I bought form Advance in 2008, a few weeks ago. I had a copy of my receipt... no problem or extra $$$ with lifetime warranty.

I found NAPA had the best battery warranty. Exchange for 2 or 3 years, and some batteries were prorated up to 7 or 8 years. About same prices as the other places. But not sure how long they keep your info, so take a picture / scan it / save it!

Rafael
Old 06-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

I found out about 10 years ago just what Zink57 went through. I no longer buy auto parts batteries due to them sitting around for 1,2,3, even 4 years old.

Just a thought I'll share. I now buy all my batteries (AC Delco) for my GM cars at the dealer and Motorcraft for my F**D's. They replaced my AC Delco free due to proration.

And yes, scan, copy, picture and save as Luvofjah said
Old 06-08-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73 Ratio, Torsen LSD

I save all my recipients and have never had a problem warranting parts. I also find it interesting that the battery had a sticker indicating it was 4 years old. Did the sticker on it actually say 6/11? Or was it something like A3? Or another combination of a letter and a number? That battery should have been sold as a no warranty reconditioned long before that.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 trans am / 67 gto
Engine: 350TPI
Transmission: AUTO
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt

most all batteries have the build date inscribed in the frame.
i buy most all batteries with interstate.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by GOATS2QUICK
most all batteries have the build date inscribed in the frame.
i buy most all batteries with interstate.
YUP! me too. I know a interstate dealer and I get "blemished" or "second hand" bat's for dirt cheap. Usually its some rich guy who doesnt know a bat needs to get charged. Back to topic.... Yes, prob should keep receipt/proof of purchase. On the other hand, Its just a bat and all they do is send it back. no losses. I try to build a relationship with the guys at parts stores. Especially managers. Even if its a hello first name basis, They know/remember you and are more willing to work with you. Defiantly blowing up at them wont do you any good. Sorry you are having a hard time with the return. Did you use a credit card? could look it up that way. anyways, good luck.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

I have a folder for each of my cars - everything goes in the folder.
VIZ28 (07-31-2023)
Old 06-08-2015, 06:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4

I put the receipt in a zip lock bag along with a piece of paper that says "GTA June 2015" (so I don't mess up the receipt for a battery for our other vehicle). Put it in the drawer with important folders and paperwork. Never had any issues with getting a replacement warrantied.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 trans am / 67 gto
Engine: 350TPI
Transmission: AUTO
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD
YES!

i do the same. 5 cars, 5 folders.

the cat gets a folder 2.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:28 PM
On Probation

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 84 Z-28
Engine: 305 HO
Transmission: r-700
Axle/Gears: 3:73

Did you have the receipt?

Usually MOST batteries have a 6 MONTH replacement warranty
and the rest of the warranty period they are prorated in price
for replacement....................
Old 06-08-2015, 08:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: LB9 (305 TPI)
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Positraction

Only problem is when they won't honor pictures/photocopies of the thermal receipts. I've run into that issue before, when the receipt is conveniently illegible (completely faded) and they won't accept any kind of reproduction.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:45 PM

Car: 1987 IROC Z
Transmission: 700-4R

The convenient receipt FADE is one reason why I tend not to rely on them....

In the past never had issue since they kept records on-line.. unfortuntately it appears their data retention is getting shorter and shorter.

The sticker on the top of the battery is this green dot type sticker that looks literally stuck on yesterday along with ALL the battery stickers. No battery that is sitting in a hot garage for 24+ months (even non use) is going to stay that clean.. IT'S A INTUITIVE NO-BRAINER. The sticker on top of the battery is a code that doesn't represent months or years intuitively.. only a store clerk would know what it means. When a customer purchases a battery from them he doesn't have the "inside" conversion chart on him to check the actual manufacturer date....

WHAT'S FUNNY is the guy wanted to make a point and locate the battery further down the "inventory history"-- going back 3 years.... AND NO DICE. Thus we are to believe that one day I walked into the store.. purchased a battery, store clerk didn't make any "input" errors, YET it's NOT ON THE RECORD ANYWHERE. Intuitively it's NOT 4 yr old since the condition looks literally like it could go back on the production shelf... LOL... Total rediculousness.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:41 AM
TGO Supporter

If I had a receipt copy and it was not honored, I would not leave until management, etc... was aware of this BS...

See if they have an identical battery (sticker / marking wise), buy it, take your old one back for a refund....
Old 06-09-2015, 12:15 PM

Car: 1989 Pontiac GTA/2007 TrailblazerSS
Engine: 350 L98/LS2
Transmission: 700-R4/4L70E
Axle/Gears: 3.27/4.10

The Oreillys system is old and complicated to work with as far as looking up previous purchases goes. It isn't that hard to keep a folder of receipts especially with a speedy purchase like a battery.

Case in point: Always keep your receipt, or best of luck to you
Old 06-09-2015, 12:19 PM

Car: 1989 Pontiac GTA/2007 TrailblazerSS
Engine: 350 L98/LS2
Transmission: 700-R4/4L70E
Axle/Gears: 3.27/4.10

Also, if you happened to purchase your battery at a different store, NO other store WILL HAVE your information because your information stays with 1 STORE. So in that aspect, no receipt and going to a different store will make it almost impossible for them to find record of your purchase. If you can tell them the store you bought it from, it'll make it easier at least a little bit
Old 06-09-2015, 01:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

Originally Posted by Zink57
Bought a Super Start battery from O'Reillys about 8 months ago for my pristine Turbo Trans Am 89. The battery started to require more and more "trickle" charges.. until just last weekend I charged the thing for about 3 hours on 2 amps.. tried to fire up the car and it sounded as dead as a door nail even-though the charger states 89% charged. WTF! It's only 8 months old.

So I take it to O'Reillys to get an exchange.. to make a long story short the TOOL behind the counter started to tell me that he can't find it in my history.. The freaking battery literally looks BRAND SPANKING NEW.. (didn't even wipe it down).. I tell the guy.. NOPE.. I purchased it 8 months ago and got about 30 cranks from the thing and now it's unreliable. He goes on this long tangent of how he's "working to work it out for me". BS! Yeah right.. Then wastes even more time looking at the terminal for the "missing entry". I tell him that when they entered the date they must have ****ED UP. Then he goes on and points to a little round sticker on the top of the battery saying that if they can't find it in the "system".. that they will have to go with the "date codes" on the sticker which is 4 years old. I told them.. NOPE I BOUGHT IT 8 MONTHS AGO AND I WANT IT EXCHANGED. I told them it's not my fault that they are moving OLD DATED PARTS.. that's not a legit reason to not honor a warranty. In fact if their employee ****ed up the entry deliberatly to "void warranties" then it's FRAUD.

I ended up getting the "manager" isn't here now, you will have to come back again. I'm like. yeah right. I'll take to another O'Reillys and get it exchanged. What a TOOL! The guy behind the counter was trying every angle to get me to buy into screwing myself out of a warranty..even the ol' "I ahve been written up multiple times and one more time for a non-warranty part and i'm thru". I told him.. I don't care about YOUR SOB STORIES.. all I care about is getting a legit warranty honored. If their guy screws up inputting warranty info.. THAT'S NOT THE CUSTOMER'S PROBLEM. I told him that obviously it's YOUR BATTERY. if I didn't purchase it 8 months ago.. then you will be able to tell me WHEN I DID because it's obvoiusly not over 4 yrs old. OF COURSE HE COUND'T FIND THE RECORD in the system which validates that SOMEBODY screwed up.
It's not that clerk's fault that your battery wasn't in the system, unless you know for a fact that you purchased it with him running the register 8 months ago. Batteries are expensive, I understand the frustration, but you'll get further talking to a guy and trying to figure out the problem together than just biting his head off. Berating the clerk just makes you come off as being 'that guy' that everyone in the store rolls their eyes at when he finally leaves.

I'm no hippie, or pushover, just something I've learned after being on both sides of the counter.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:25 PM
On Probation

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by sonjaab; 06-09-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:29 PM
On Probation

Originally Posted by sonjaab
Did you have the receipt?
Originally Posted by Zink57
The convenient receipt FADE is one reason why I tend not to rely on them....

In the past never had issue since they kept records on-line.. unfortuntately it appears their data retention is getting shorter and shorter.

The sticker on the top of the battery is this green dot type sticker that looks literally stuck on yesterday along with ALL the battery stickers. No battery that is sitting in a hot garage for 24+ months (even non use) is going to stay that clean.. IT'S A INTUITIVE NO-BRAINER. The sticker on top of the battery is a code that doesn't represent months or years intuitively.. only a store clerk would know what it means. When a customer purchases a battery from them he doesn't have the "inside" conversion chart on him to check the actual manufacturer date....

WHAT'S FUNNY is the guy wanted to make a point and locate the battery further down the "inventory history"-- going back 3 years.... AND NO DICE. Thus we are to believe that one day I walked into the store.. purchased a battery, store clerk didn't make any "input" errors, YET it's NOT ON THE RECORD ANYWHERE. Intuitively it's NOT 4 yr old since the condition looks literally like it could go back on the production shelf... LOL... Total rediculousness.
I guess since you danced around my question I guess you DIDN'T
have a reciept...............

Store rules are you MUST have a reciept for warranty.................
Old 06-09-2015, 08:16 PM

unfortuntately it appears their data retention is getting shorter and shorter
False. Still the same

The sticker on top of the battery is a code that doesn't represent months or years intuitively.. only a store clerk would know what it means. When a customer purchases a battery from them he doesn't have the "inside" conversion chart on him to check the actual manufacturer date
Simply ask an employee how old the battery is?

The sticker on the top of the battery is this green dot type sticker that looks literally stuck on yesterday along with ALL the battery stickers
Green dot tells me your battery was in the store for more then 6 months but less then 12 months. So no, you did not buy a battery that was 4 years old. When any battery there hits 1.5 years old the labels are peeled off and it is sold as reconditioned.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

ask for the receipt that they give to their commercial accounts- the ones that are printed on the ancient dot matrix printer behind the counter and they have to tear the strips off the side to give you your copy. the paper is better and the ink is more durable than the biodegradable soy based ink that they use in the cash register.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:05 PM
TGO Supporter

Some places keep online records for longer than 2 years...
Advance Auto, I just checked, has some of my orders from 2010, I know Rock Auto too...
Buying online / picking up at store, there are online coupons too, save some cash... and they keep the record...

www.frugalmechanic/coupons for Advance Auto and other coupons...

Still not quite as reliable as making your own copy, but better than paper receipt...
Old 06-29-2015, 06:44 PM

Engine: 305 TBI/305 TPI
Transmission: World Class T5/missing
Axle/Gears: 3.08/G92 3.45 posi

I think it depends on the person you deal with. I am on a first name basis with the people at the o reileys that I frequent and even make fun of them to their face as if we are friends. I have yet to have a single issue with returns or problems with a part at that location. There is always the occasional new person that screws up but they always correct it and usually the new person learns or gets fired. Like so many people have said, receipt or it didn't happen. I make sure I use my rewards card with every purchase so that in case something happens to my receipts(like when I accidentally left them out in the rain) I don't have any issues. I have returned or swapped many parts since I bought my camaro not needing my receipt because I use my rewards card. Personally, I wouldn't buy a battery from o reileys unless it was an emergency. The one I currently have in my camaro came from o reileys but the guy I bought the car from wouldn't include the battery with the car and I wasn't going to argue with how cheap the car was. But when it fails, I'm definitely getting at least an interstate or better. If you have some proof of warranty, and they do not honor, just keep taking it as high up as you have to. It's inconvenient but that's what you might have to do. If you have nothing but a sticker on the battery, there's no way of proving you have a warranty from just that.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:58 PM

The majority of batteries sold by O'Reilly are manufactured by Johnson controls, the same manufacturer of interstate batteries. The rest are manufactured by east penn.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:25 PM

It is ridiculous that in this day and age, O'Reilly Auto Parts does not have the ability to look up an electronic record of a battery purchase! the receipt for my 2016 battery is small and very faded but I had it in hand. The clown behind the counter said he couldn't read enough of it to justify honoring the warranty. I took that bitter pill and left that store telling myself I'll never shop at an O'Reilly Auto Parts Store again! Thus I bought my second new battery in two years, but this time I purchased at a Batteries Plus. I experience great customer service and they informed me they have the ability to electronically store my records and cross-reference the battery serial number to my name. All my purchase go to this company from this point forward. I have three sons with cars, my vehicle and my wife's. Plus I'll spread the word. Companies suffer more than they seem to know by practicing bad policy.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:37 PM

Engine: 305 TBI/305 TPI
Transmission: World Class T5/missing
Axle/Gears: 3.08/G92 3.45 posi

Originally Posted by Perkill
It is ridiculous that in this day and age, O'Reilly Auto Parts does not have the ability to look up an electronic record of a battery purchase! the receipt for my 2016 battery is small and very faded but I had it in hand. The clown behind the counter said he couldn't read enough of it to justify honoring the warranty. I took that bitter pill and left that store telling myself I'll never shop at an O'Reilly Auto Parts Store again! Thus I bought my second new battery in two years, but this time I purchased at a Batteries Plus. I experience great customer service and they informed me they have the ability to electronically store my records and cross-reference the battery serial number to my name. All my purchase go to this company from this point forward. I have three sons with cars, my vehicle and my wife's. Plus I'll spread the word. Companies suffer more than they seem to know by practicing bad policy.
Are you an o relieys rewards member? If not, that would be why they can't look up your previous purchase. If you are a member, there is a time frame for how far back they can look in store I believe, but they can request further back or I think you can call as well. Furthermore, you could have gotten a faulty battery or have some sort of issue wearing the battery faster. For instance out here in phoenix, batteries can fail in 2 years or less.

But, if you are a rewards member, and you bought the battery within the last 2 years, I know they can look that far back in store. So, assuming you are a rewards member, then the person you talked to sucks at their job for not knowing this information. Generally, one of the first things they do is ask if you are a rewards member. If they did ask and you said yes and then they said they can't look that far back, then they are lying. Either deliberately, or they were given false information. But if you aren't a rewards member then they do not track it.

O reillies sucks for a majority of stuff so it's generally a good idea to stay clear of them anyways. I typically only use them if I need something last minute/unexpected and don't have time to wait for something to ship. I would personally choose NAPA over any other parts store in existence since their products are significantly better a lot of times.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:12 PM

Their records go back more than 2 years. Sounds like a lazy or shitty employee. There are many other ways to find your transaction. Sounds like the invoice number wasn't fully there and the employee didn't want to do the leg work. I would contact the district manager. The phone number of the DM for that district will be on the door of the store. You could very likely still get your money back for your bad battery if you contact them.

Rewards member or not they should have tracked your battery purchase. Any purchase like that with a warranty prompts for a phone number to track it. It is possible an employee skipped past it. Again it can still be tracked without a phone number.

First name basis goes a long way in more than just the auto parts industry. It is a good practice to develop a relationship with even one employee. they will be more likely and more willing to help you.

One parts store sucks because of parts they carry? You do know that there are few suppliers and most carry the same re-boxed parts right?

As far as certain stores being better than others its the employees that make it. I shopped at an Autozone for years. Then they had a change in management which was followed by any employee that was worth anything leaving. I don't shop there anymore. I have also shopped in several O'reillys, for the most part not bad depending on who is working. Perfect example actually. There are two Oreillys within 30 minutes of me. One is a complete joke, the other is the best parts house in the area.

With that said I have never been in a Napa that I would return too, but then again there has to be some somewhere that aren't the worst place in town.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
Car: 1986 trans am
Engine: 305/350
Transmission: 5 speed

no receipt,no warranty.if it has a sticker clear as day on the battery DATED 4 YEARS AGO that you've handled,charged and looked at dozens of times ITS ALL YOU BUDDY,there's a reason its not in the system.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 408 Likes on 295 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi

Old thread, but still a relevant topic:

As a former chain auto parts store manager, the best I can add to all of the above is that it is the responsibility of the customer to keep his sales receipt. To my way of thinking, I can't imagine not filing a sales receipt for anything I might buy, especially something as expensive---and potentially a failure problem---like a car battery.

Additionally, if you're looking for a reliable battery, just stay away from parts-store brands altogether; spend a little more $$$ and buy an Interstate.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac

Originally Posted by ironwill
Old thread, but still a relevant topic:

As a former chain auto parts store manager, the best I can add to all of the above is that it is the responsibility of the customer to keep his sales receipt. To my way of thinking, I can't imagine not filing a sales receipt for anything I might buy, especially something as expensive---and potentially a failure problem---like a car battery.

Additionally, if you're looking for a reliable battery, just stay away from parts-store brands altogether; spend a little more $$$ and buy an Interstate.
I agree with the above....to a point. Some of these batteries have a 4 or 5 year warranty. Some sales receipts fade after a year or so and you can't read them and I rarely keep them over a year unless it's a lifetime warranty item. I bought a battery at a chain store with a 4 year "adjustable" warranty and it went out after 2 years. I didn't have a receipt, but the little sticker on the top of the battery had the month/year dots taken out when I bought it, which is what is supposed to be done by the store when you buy it. Luckily, they accepted that and after the time adjustment I got a little over 50% off the price of a new replacement battery. - without a reciept. And yes, Interstate really is a great battery!!
Old 03-14-2019, 01:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56

I've had a single battery not last me at least 3 years and it was an interstate.... it lasted 6mo or so.. turned out to be a parasitic draw in the car, and the constant having to be charged killed it. I've had auto-zone batteries last me 5 years. I typically replace them at the first sign of issue, its not worth the hassle of having to be jumped off randomly. I have also found that cheap trickle charges kill batteries because of the wrong voltage or over charging. If you dig deep enough many of the batteries are built in the same factories. I've often thought some of the parts stores battery racks are too steep of an angle for a acid filled battery to sit for months on end.

I'm surprised more auto stores don't do like home depot, you can tie your email address to your credit card and any time you use it there you get a e-receipt via email, not real user interaction beyond the first association. I try to keep my receipts for biger ticket items but I admit I depend on the parts store more than I should to keep the record for me.

Tires, Batteries, fluids, paints I always check the date code, and if its some propriety date code I'll have them decode it for me. If its over about 6mo old I don't want it (well not at retail anyways)... though this is a really old thread...
Old 03-14-2019, 03:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

The original AC Delco battery in my '89 lasted 11 years. The next AC Delco lasted 9 years. The next 2 or 3 AC Delcos lasted a couple years each. Obviously, we're getting lower quality.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

I ran my Monte Carlo nine years. Put an Interstate battery in it right after buying it and it was still in there starting the car when I sold it!
Old 03-15-2019, 07:19 AM

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Car: 90 Formula 350
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3.54

I had a bad experience at Walmart, I had bought a truck few years back that had a recent battery from Walmart when it went bad they warranted it at no cost then when the replacement went bad around 12 months later thought OK thy would replace it again for free? Nooo , after they installed it they asked me for 93$ like WTH? this was replaced free once and now 12 months later its no??t then i get song and dance that the warranty was started by previous owner and now had almost no warranty left, I explained that this battery was only a year old , sorry so I advised them to put their bad battery back in since they didnt tell me this prior to installation, I worked 20 years at Firestone and we always started warranty when a new battery was installed. needless to say no more Wallyworld for me I went and bought an Interstate I have always had good luck with that brand
Old 03-15-2019, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

Originally Posted by dmccain
I ran my Monte Carlo nine years. Put an Interstate battery in it right after buying it and it was still in there starting the car when I sold it!
I cannot kill my Interstate battery.. Even when my car was at the paint shop for 9 months the guy said he never had to put it on a charger.. always fired right up..

I wanted to get a Delco battery just to be a little closer to Chevy spec and the green Interstate kinda bothers me when I pop the hood but the battery is damn good.. It stays..
Old 05-22-2019, 03:55 PM

Car: 90 Formula -- tot resto in progress
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4 w/ 2500 stall, by Owen @ ARD
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi disc

I've never had ANY battery last as long as the stated warranty.
So my modus operandi is to buy the most economical one at the CCA I need.
That being said, my local O'Reilly has been outstanding at honoring all
warranty/replacement issues. Even when the issue was my fault, at
driving the battery to total failure. Maybe you just got a local chucklehead
counterman.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 305 LB9 AT Convertible
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: AT

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD
Me too. Batteries, tires, I keep photo copies in the vehicle.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:54 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Funny thing, I actually witnessed this exact same scenario play out at a local AutoZone and it ended in violence.
a couple years ago I had gone early on Sunday morning to go get oil and oil filter to do an oil change. There was only one employee working,a young girl,and she was dealing with an irate customer (a BIG black guy).
He was claiming he bought the battery several months ago and she said there was no record of it in the computer. She told him that he would need to show a receipt as proof in order to get a replacement and he blew up and kept yelling “I don’t keep no ****ing receipts for this ****,this is bullshit”. She told him that without a receipt she couldn’t help him and for all she knew he could have bought the battery at a swap meet. He exploded and called her every foul name in the book and then picked the battery up and threw it as far as he could behind the counter and the case shattered throwing acid everywhere.

Then there was a story in the news about 10 years back where some guy ended up stabbing an employee at autozone over brake pads he wanted to exhange because they didn’t fit his car and he couldn’t provide a reciept so they wouldn’t do it.

I save all my receipts because I learned a long time ago they often can’t find the info in the computer when it comes time to honor a warranty on a lifetime part. The ink does vanish after a while though so you have photocopy them.

Last edited by JimRockford; 07-01-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1983 Recaro T/A
Engine: GMPP 350HO Carbed

Originally Posted by l_dis_travlr
I've never had ANY battery last as long as the stated warranty.
So my modus operandi is to buy the most economical one at the CCA I need.
That being said, my local O'Reilly has been outstanding at honoring all
warranty/replacement issues. Even when the issue was my fault, at
driving the battery to total failure. Maybe you just got a local chucklehead
counterman.
Optimas will easily beat their warranty. I use yellow top in everything. 50% higher price, 300% lifespan is a good deal. Now that I think about it, the longest I ever had one was 12 years then I sold the car. I don't think I've had to replace a yellowtop, ever.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:06 AM

I work at Oreilly and can tell you that if you give a phone number when you purchase an item it can be looked up by me no matter how long ago you bought it and I can reprint the invoice, I can look up your all your purchases no matter when you bought it, every sell is attached to your phone number unless you opt not to give your phone number then it is up to you to keep up with receipts, Oreilly is in your corner for warranty replacement. call your local Oreilly store and ask, I'm sure they will tell you the same thing.
Old 07-30-2023, 06:03 PM

That is why I do not mess with O'reilly's. I go to Autozone. Their battery warranty is longer than O'reillys, and they have my whole history of purchases on the rewards account. I have over a dozen vehicles going back over 20 years. I see the whole list generate on their computer everytime I buy something. Every part I ever bought comes up since the 1990's. I have gone in their no receipt and got a lifetime radiator and other parts replaced when they pull it up on computer. Never had a issue.
Old 08-19-2023, 05:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 379 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Originally Posted by robo661
That is why I do not mess with O'reilly's. I go to Autozone. Their battery warranty is longer than O'reillys, and they have my whole history of purchases on the rewards account. I have over a dozen vehicles going back over 20 years. I see the whole list generate on their computer everytime I buy something. Every part I ever bought comes up since the 1990's. I have gone in their no receipt and got a lifetime radiator and other parts replaced when they pull it up on computer. Never had a issue.
I have Oreilly transactions on my account since 1999. Autozone warranty was the same between the AGMs I buy, 3 years free replacement, no prorata. Oreilly usually gets their batteries from East Penn. The exceptions have J on the end of the Oreilly part number which are Johnson Controls manufactured. Autozone gets them from Johnson Controls. Johnson Controls also builds Optima batteries. Johnson Controls and Optima have both gone way down hill over the past decade. The Optima battery I ran last, lasted 14 months, I replaced it with an East Penn AGM Oreilly 78PLT. 4 years later the thing is still going strong. It could crap out tomorrow, but for the moment it is doing well.
T.L. (08-19-2023)