Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Airbrush guestions, ( paint sputter )(help)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbrush guestions, ( paint sputter )(help)

I trying to use my airbrush, and the enamal keeps sputtering, in my little troubleshooting book it says becuase either the paint is to thick or not enough air pressure, so i cranked up the air up to about 40psi, still sputter, I even reduced the paint down some, same thing, im using #5 tip, and one shot enamal paint from eastwood,

anyone ever have this problem, I got down my base color since I had everthing taped, but Im not going to be able to do any , blend, shade, ect, with any other colors,till I fix the problem,
Old 04-21-2003, 02:11 AM

If you're using the type of airbrush with a glass jar under the nib, you can adjust the airflow over the top of the paint extract. This caused mine to sputter.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:52 AM

thanks for the reply, the model airbrush im using is the pasche, vl- kinda cheap airbrush, from eastwood, yes the glass jar fits underneath, and there is allittle sildeing wheel at the top, but i turn it and i dont see it affecting anything, i will take some pictures of what im talking about, tonight, when i get home,

one thing im wondering about is im running about a 75-100-ft of hose to the airbrush, prehaps i need a mini regulator at the end of the airbrush, maybe im not getting enough air pressure, ?
Old 04-21-2003, 12:03 PM

Car: 94 Firebird
Engine: 3.4L
Transmission: t5
yes... the length of you hose might be a problem... but 40 psi is high for an airbrush... I use 25 for mine and it works properly... what to you tin it with? I found that automotive paint tinner is much better than Testor's or Tanya's... what kind of compressor do you have?
Old 04-21-2003, 05:42 PM

my compressor is a 60 gallon 8 hp, , hehe big one
i reduced the paint with paint reducer, i just got a email back on the tech support people from the place i bought it, and they said try cranking up the pressure to about 45-50psi, and reduce my paint even more then i did, and try that, so im going out side now and trying it,
Old 04-21-2003, 06:04 PM

wow that is very high psi... the paint really must be watery like... not thicker... or it'll spread badly.. is it the first time you use it? or you just recently had that problem?
Old 04-21-2003, 08:28 PM

this is the frist time i have used both the brush and paint, \
unfortanlly i didnt get to try what the guy said, during the clean process last time i used it, i ruined the some plastic washers , so i just order some from the company, hopefully they will be here soon, like you said , i might have to really reduce the paint way back, right now its just regular enamal , about as thick as model paint, ?
Attached Thumbnails Airbrush guestions, ( paint sputter )(help)-6.jpg  
Old 04-21-2003, 08:30 PM

Attached Thumbnails Airbrush guestions, ( paint sputter )(help)-7.jpg  
Old 04-21-2003, 08:40 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '88 T/A and '90 T/A
Engine: LB9/383
Transmission: T5/700R4
I'd put a regulator a few feet before the brush. When I paint my R/C car bodies, I use 15-20 depending on what i'm doing. Usually when it splatters, I have gotten the tip and needle gummed up. I use the same airbrush. Pasche VL-S or something. I love it.

BTW, I like the idea of the painted bird. Are yougoing to add some more colors to it? If not, it seems kinda useless to use an airbrush. Nice work so far, though!!
Old 04-21-2003, 08:43 PM

ah! if you screwed some seals it might be the problem... do you have the needle size? if it is as thick as normal enamel... it really is too thick... I reduce it to a watery feeling when I paint... but watch for the seals

nice work so far
Old 04-21-2003, 08:48 PM

thanks, yeah thats the problem i have, is i cant lay down anymore colors becuase i cant shade, or i will get big blocthes of paint, im going typical flame colors to macth the outside of my car, yellow, orange, red, , car on the outside will be black, with same color flames, im not what kinda flames i want to do, if i want overlaping flames, body color flameing into the other flames,

hehe if it wasnt for my ram air 2 hood, i had a killer paintjob, but i have looked, thought, and tried to fiqure away around, the hood, but it gets in my way evertime

im a big fan on detail, when it comes to my drawlings, so im trying to macth the level of detailing in my car work, but im new at this stuff so, im learning as i go
Attached Thumbnails Airbrush guestions, ( paint sputter )(help)-dragonfinall.jpg  
Old 04-21-2003, 08:55 PM

acutally i think i messed up the seals, by leaving my brush in some nail polish cleaner to long, long story , i thought i had thinner, after i got done , i went to get the thinner and guess what it was all dried up lol, so all i had was nail polish cleaner which is similar stuff, i cleaned the brush and all tonight, but the damage is done ,

but what i just asked the tech people again, is in the diagram of the vl, they show only one gasket, but when i took it apart today there was two gaskets, so im waiting to hear back from the tech guy to see if this is normal, that there should be two gaskets there,