Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Compitition hood.. or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2000, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro LT
Engine: modifide 2.8L
Transmission: 5 speed
Compitition hood.. or not?

Hey guys, I'm just wondering what you think... I'm going ot be getting ready to repaint my 87 camaro in its factory Silver and Gunmetal grey two tone paint scheme. My question is I am also putting on a fiberglass hood off an 82 Z28.. and it was suggested to paint the hood flat (or satin) black for a no glare 'compitition hood' look, like many of the muscle cars from the late sixties. I think i could pull the look off because it /is/ a factory HO part. It would definatly be something diferant.. but I'm wondering how many times I'm going to get asked "So uh, when are you going to paint your hood to match the rest of the car?"

------------------
"It should be REAL sleepy"
Old 09-13-2000, 07:42 PM
Banned

I dont think that would look good. For 2 reasons...1 being the 60s are over and those monsters are never going to come back. So you shouldn't try to copy them. I mean yea I like the style on a Cuda but not a 3rd gen anything. 2 being it would look like you recked your car and got everything fixed exc the hood and you didn't wanna get a new one so you went to the junk yard and got a used one off a black car and havent painted it yet. There! thats my oppinion. Do what you like though.
Old 09-15-2000, 01:48 PM

Cool idea... Don't know how it would look - I'm always looking to do something retro to my Z. Could be beacuse I miss my '69...

If you do it, I NEED PICS!

------------------
92 Z28 - 5.7 - Black/Grey Leather
Macewen White Faced Guages
SLP T-RAM, 24lb/h Injectors
Accell 52mm Throttle Body
SLP 1 3/4" Headers and Cat Back Sys.

Check out the T-Ram at my website:
http://www.mylecdekmat.com/mike.htm
Old 09-16-2000, 12:23 AM

I say do what you want to, but I'll also say this: I'm in the process of having my car painted and have the ASCD ram air hood on it right now, still grey gel-coated(car is red). The car goes into the shop this week, and just for the few days that I've been driving around with a different color hood, you wouldn't believe how many times i've heard "hey, did you wreck your car?". It bugs me that some people don't realize it is a completely different style hood. And in your situation, although you know why the hood is a different color, most people would be absolutely clueless as to why it is.
Long story short, I can't wait until my car is one color. But once again, do what YOU want.
Old 09-16-2000, 02:31 AM

Car: 1987 Camaro LT
Engine: modifide 2.8L
Transmission: 5 speed
Thanks for the replies guys I think what I'm going to do is this: I need to sand the hood down (its been painted several times before) and i need to notch it and lay in some new fiberglass to get it to clear my intake 'snorkels'.. so after I do that I think I'm going to paint it primer black and run around with for a while and see how I like it (and to see how many times I get asked why the hood is a differant color) If I don't like it, or get tired of answering the same question over and over I'll just spray it silver when I repaint the rest of the car... no harm done

Mike 25th: if you realy would like pics I can get them for you when its done