Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Gauging Interest: Custom HID Retrofit Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 03:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 334 Stroker Superram 222/230
Transmission: Full Manual 700R4 / 3k Street Edge
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Eaton, Moser, Richmond & More
Gauging Interest: Custom HID Retrofit Projectors

I'm making this post in a high traffic area of the board to gauge interest in making custom HID retrofit projectors. If the idea goes "Viral", a new thread will be created in the classifieds.

I can fabricate custom HID retrofit projectors for our cars. They will consist of a 4x6 housing (You can pick whether you want black housings, chrome or any other variation) with a Morimoto Bi-Xenon H1 projector fitted (Fiberglass-less method) and 100% sealed (NO condensation!) with RTV sealant. I do NOT use shrouds due to the fact that #1 they usually don't end up looking right crammed into the already crowded 4x6 housing and #2 by not using a shroud this will allow some light to shine into and light up the housing vs having just the projector lens showing.

The price per SET would be $400 shipped. Here is what the finished product would look like (Installed into my own car):

You will be responsible for everything else. You will need to purchase either the 35 or 55 watt kit from your place of choice. I would recommend DDM tuning as I have heard of issues with alot of the ebay kits. I used the DDM kit on mine and it hasn't failed me yet. You WILL need to cut your header panel some to get the projectors to fit through. You MIGHT have to notch your core support however with the H1 projectors they should clear without having to do this. I know with the D2S projectors I used on mine I had to notch the core support about 1/4" and they are a royal PITA to work with due to their bulky shape which is why I will use the H1s if these go into production. You will need to modify your headlight harness and if using a 55 watt HID kit you MUST install relays and run them off the battery (Current spike during startup is too much for the stock wiring to handle). If you want the HIDs to remain lit while using your highbeams you will need to bypass 1 wire on the highbeam switch at the base of the steering column. I can provide instructions on how to do all this since I did it with my car.

You will receive a professional product guaranteed or your money back. Each set is built to order and turnaround time is approximately 2 - 3 weeks (That's with parts being shipped to me, constructed then shipped to you). Each set is solidly built, painted (I use the duplicolor perfect match spraycans for these and clearcoat the paint on the inside of the housings since the perfect match clearcoat offers UV protection and will help prevent fading) then held underwater and checked for any leaks in the sealant (Which would allow condensation to enter the housings). I also bake all painted parts in the oven at 200F for a minimum of 1 hour to properly cure the paint. The black plastic part of the projectors that holds the lens is also painted base+clear to match the housings. The sets are then SECURELY packaged and insured then shipped to you.

So that's it! let's see where this goes...

Last edited by FireDemonSiC; 06-21-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:48 AM
Supreme Member

Re: Gauging Interest: Custom HID Retrofit Projectors

BUMP!

OK, 89 views and not a single response. I know this seems expensive, but everyone has to understand what goes into making these.

The projectors by themselves are $120 a set + shipping. The housings are $25, plus misc hardware and supplies such as sandpaper, stripper and paint. Not to mention I will be covering shipping/packing materials and insurance. Each set takes 8 - 10 hours to fabricate.

The housings must be baked in the oven to soften the adhesive so I can separate the glass from the housing and HOPE it doesn't break (This happened with the first set of housings on the ones I did for my car and cut my thumb all to hell). Then I have to dremel (More supplies as I require cutoff wheels and sanding drums!) out the hole for the projector to fit through and make sure it is properly aligned relative to the housing. I must then sand/strip, paint and bake again to cure. Then I have to custom grind aluminum spacers and use custom length screws to fix the projectors to the housings followed by RTV adhesive all around the projector to housing for the sealed beam. And it STILL comes out to be less cost and effort than the fiberglass method.

Making these retrofit projectors is more than most people realize.

Last edited by FireDemonSiC; 06-21-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Christine Z28
Engine: RV Cam and Intake 350 SBC
Transmission: 5speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08 ls Posi

I'd definitely be interested, but I have no money. Yes, $400 for headlights is expensive, and yes most of us probably understand that HIDs aren't cheap(ESPECIALLY the Bi-xenon). I think you should offer a low beam only set, as well as the bi-xenon. The low beam stuff is cheaper IIRC. I'm trying to save up money working part time to actually have a running car, so headlights aren't a priority for me...right now. I will however contact you in the future when I can get them for my car.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 Iroc-Z28
Engine: 5.3
Transmission: 4l60

What's the difference between bi-xenon and just low beam? I'm guessing with the xenon's there's no use for the the factory brights? I'd definitely be in for a set if my car was running and had the money but need get it running first then would be very interested in a set looks to be very good quality
Old 06-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 86_irocz-28
What's the difference between bi-xenon and just low beam? I'm guessing with the xenon's there's no use for the the factory brights? I'd definitely be in for a set if my car was running and had the money but need get it running first then would be very interested in a set looks to be very good quality
Bi-Xenon means there is a flap inside the projector that is actuated by a solenoid to control the cut-offs. You can switch the HIDs between high beam and low beam. I make my sets with bi-xenon projectors. If you had a low beam only projector, when you switched the high beams on the HIDs would still only project light in a low beam fashion. Just to clarify with HIDs the intensity of the light does not change between high/low but rather the cutoff changes to control how high/far the light is projected and it DOES make a massive difference.

I just checked The Retrofit Source and it looks like the only low beam projector they offer is the Lexus/TSX-R which is actually more expensive than the Morimoto H1!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Christine Z28
Engine: RV Cam and Intake 350 SBC
Transmission: 5speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08 ls Posi

Originally Posted by FireDemonSiC
I just checked The Retrofit Source and it looks like the only low beam projector they offer is the Lexus/TSX-R which is actually more expensive than the Morimoto H1!
Well that's a ripoff...
Old 06-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: Magnacharged LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 4:11's

Not trying to bust your *****, but in order to sell those, I think you'd have to be half that price.

You can buy Oracle and JW speaker's true LED 4x6's for almost half what your asking.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Currently have 3 cars and 1 truck.
Engine: 1970&92 Cams,both BBC's
Transmission: LS1 T-56 & PG w/vendor's
Axle/Gears: Built 10 bolt& 9inch w/spool

Originally Posted by 406TPI
Not trying to bust your *****, but in order to sell those, I think you'd have to be half that price.

You can buy Oracle and JW speaker's true LED 4x6's for almost half what your asking.
That's right. You can buy true projector HID's in a 4x6, complete with bulbs, ballast, wiring, Hi's and low's(4 lite's) made for 3rd gen cams for $900. 4 of your lites for $800?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 92 BBC Z
That's right. You can buy true projector HID's in a 4x6, complete with bulbs, ballast, wiring, Hi's and low's(4 lite's) made for 3rd gen cams for $900. 4 of your lites for $800?
Looks like this isn't happening then. Because as much as I love this site I'm not making these for free. I can work with you guys some. The lowest I'd be willing to go is $350 a set. Thanks for the responses.

BTW, do you have a link to these complete projector assemblies? When I made mine at the beginning of this year there was no such thing as an off-the-shelf complete HID retrofit for our cars. The set that 406 mentioned is an LED headlight set NOT an HID set.

Last edited by FireDemonSiC; 06-21-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 406TPI

Ugly as all hell. I am curious however on the light pattern, intensity and output vs an HID. I think my HIDs are really bright and I only have the 35 watt kit.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 321 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

Not many people purchashed my retrofit kits at $280....so no surprise here.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 84 1LE
Not many people purchashed my retrofit kits at $280....so no surprise here.
Yeah I figured this wasn't going to take off, but that's what it costs to make them. Take it or leave it.

Also, off topic but do you have a picture of your car from the rear? I saw your signature the other day and noticed you have the early Z28 style taillights. One of the grid lights I did on mine got broken and I was debating whether or not to go with the early non grid style. I can't find any pictures of them on a black car.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 321 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

Theres probably one on the forum, but I dont have any on my cell.Maybe when Im home.

Regarding those JW lights, the lumens rating is somewhere like 800/1200 (lo-Hi).Not much, if any, better than standard halogen.

Last edited by 84 1LE; 06-21-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 84 1LE
Theres probably one on the forum, but I dont have any on my cell.Maybe when Im home.

Regarding those JW lights, the lumens rating is somewhere like 800/1200 (lo-Hi).Not much, if any, better than standard halogen.
Good to know. I'm an advocate of LED lighting but was curious how they stood up to HIDs.

Please PM or post picture when possible. I am actually thinking the older style lights would flow better with my car plus when I made mine the grid was a NIGHTMARE to work with.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Currently have 3 cars and 1 truck.
Engine: 1970&92 Cams,both BBC's
Transmission: LS1 T-56 & PG w/vendor's
Axle/Gears: Built 10 bolt& 9inch w/spool

Originally Posted by FireDemonSiC
Looks like this isn't happening then. Because as much as I love this site I'm not making these for free. I can work with you guys some. The lowest I'd be willing to go is $350 a set. Thanks for the responses.

BTW, do you have a link to these complete projector assemblies? When I made mine at the beginning of this year there was no such thing as an off-the-shelf complete HID retrofit for our cars. The set that 406 mentioned is an LED headlight set NOT an HID set.
Its: KBcarstuff.com, there only 749. and comes wit everything, even a DOT cert.