Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

cleaning engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cleaning engine

Im ready to clean up my engine bay n motor, I checked out a few engine cleaning video n found this one from Chemical Guys n b4 I give em a try was wondering if anyone else familar with this products n willing to share thoughts or on any other recommended products, tips and precautious!! Thx in advance!!
Old 09-05-2016, 05:59 AM
On Probation

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro vert/86 SC
Engine: 355 tbi/2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4/T5
Axle/Gears: 2.72 posi/3.42 open
Re: cleaning engine

Hi there,
I have a cleaning routine I use, that has pretty good results. Some tools and cleaners:
1 (or more) used toothbrush
1 larger style brush, like a dishwashing brush
old used scotchbrite scrubber pads
old socks or shop towels
Walmart cheap all-purpose spray cleaner
engine degreaser spraycan
brake parts cleaner spray can
bottle of mineral spirits
no-touch foamy tire cleaner spray can
garden hose

I start at the back of the engine bay, so I am not leaning over a wet engine. I use the all-purpose cleaner, and the toothbrush and start scrubbing any dirty spots. I start with the brake master cylinder and booster, since they often had a leak and are quite grimy. I continue along the firewall, using the engine degreaser spray on any stubborn spots. Start with a small area, and spray it clean with the hose, then move on to the next spot.

I keep working towards the front of the engine bay, until it is coming clean. I then go back with brake cleaner on any really stubborn oily spots. I re-hit it with the all-purpose cleaner and hose it off. then I wipe off any remaining residue with the mineral spirits.

Finally, I spray the whole compartment down with no-touch tire foam. I let the foam bubbles die down a bit, then wipe off the excess with the rags. It gives the plastics and satin black metals a nice sheen, without looking too slimy. the whole thing usually takes me less than an hour.

Remember to cover up any exposed electrical parts, like distributor, and the air cleaner (if exposed).

Here is an after pic (sorry I don't have a before pic.)
Old 09-09-2016, 08:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Guy above outlined a good way to clean the engine bay. He hit on the point that cleaning an engine bay doesn't require expensive name brand products or expensive brushes. Cheap brushes, old tooth brushes, Q Tips and run of the mill household (read non-caustic) cleaning agents work great.

One brand name product that is great though is this: https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-D170...hyper+dressing
Meguiars Hyper dressing is wonderful to use once the engine is clean. You can dilute it up to 4:1 with water. It seems expensive at $40 per gallon but once you dilute it to at least 2:1 it's only $20 per gallon and if you dillute it 4:1 its a bargain at $10 per gallon. Use it on anything plastic, rubber, vinyl or leather. Water based.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:28 PM

Thx!!!! I'll post my b4 & after pics!!!!
Old 09-17-2016, 11:34 PM

Thx for the detailed explanation, just how I like it!!!! I will pist b4 & after pics soon