Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Window/Door Rattles--Observation and Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Window/Door Rattles--Observation and Pics

Excellent information! Thanks to all who contributed.

Originally Posted by compuwiz1937
One thing to check if your door rattles, I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread or not, if you have manual mirrors, check them and see if they're lose or if something inside is lose. My passenger door always rattled since I bought the car and I could never figure out what it was, when I was swapping out my mirros with the power mirrors I noticed the mirror rattled a little when I set it down. So I closed the door and no rattle!
I just had a rattle in my passenger side manual mirror too. I found a screw that holds the mirror swivel in place behind the mirror was slightly loose. I was able to tilt the mirror far enough out of the way to get a phillips screw driver at that screw and tighten it 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. Shut the door, and no more rattle!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 camaro Sports Coupe
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: 89 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 gov lock

Originally Posted by paulo57509
Very nice work!

One more place where I found a squeak is that metal wedge thing that's on the body side of the door jamb. It contacts a corresponding hard plastic wedge attached to the door. A very small smear of grease on the two parts eliminates this squeak.
what is that wedge for? I pulled a set off a car in the junkyard and was curious if should add them to my car.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:13 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Formula WS6, T-top
Engine: 5.7L T.P.I.
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Limited slip, 3.23 10 bolt

I have a squeak in my dashboard on the passenger side that's driving me nuts. It could be anything in there......
Old 05-20-2014, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by evilemokid94
what is that wedge for? I pulled a set off a car in the junkyard and was curious if should add them to my car.
They create a tight fit between the closed door and the B pillar to reduce flex front-to-rear. I think they appear only on T-top cars.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:00 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

Originally Posted by fyrebird68
They create a tight fit between the closed door and the B pillar to reduce flex front-to-rear. I think they appear only on T-top cars.
Correct the Door wedges are for T-top and Convertible models. It transfers the load from the bottom of the car to higher on the doors to reduce body flex. If you remove them on a T-top or Convertible your door jams will get beat to crap, I am not sure anything good would come of it. One time I did not have my drivers door all the way closed and I could really hear the door beating and feel the car flexing as I drove down the road. I want to put them on a hardtop personally.

John
Old 06-10-2016, 01:47 AM

Would not having door panels cause rattle/weakness in the door? Common sense tells me no, yet I can't help but feel as though not having them on is causing my LOUD rattling doors. I've adjusted the fuzzies as well as greases the **** out of everything thinking it would help but....nope.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chevydude1990
Would not having door panels cause rattle/weakness in the door? Common sense tells me no, yet I can't help but feel as though not having them on is causing my LOUD rattling doors. I've adjusted the fuzzies as well as greases the **** out of everything thinking it would help but....nope.
Actually it can contribute to rattling with the panels out. the panels have foam pieces that help hold the door lock rods and door open rods stationary. Also the panel itself just attaching at various point of the door will reduce the natural vibration in the metal. the ideal way to sound proof and reduce noise in doors it to not only treat the outer sheet metal, but the inner sheet metal... both sides... then add some sound deadener to the panel itself. I copied Redraif's ideas of speaker box carpet glued on the back of the door panels and the duplicator spray sound eliminator on inner and outer sheet metal. talk about a HUGE difference. also felt on the rods and where the rods touch the sheet metal helps reduce their vibrations.