Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

New Window Motor install problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2002 SS
Engine: Ls1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42 posi
New Window Motor install problems

Well i just got my new window motor. And it's nuts I have no clue how to get this sucker in right. If any of yous could help in some way it would be greatly appreciated. When i took the old broken one out the coil spring went peeoomm and fell at the bottom of the door and i was like where the hell did that come from. I need help i have like a bolt and nut holding the whole window assembly up
Old 03-29-2005, 06:22 PM

Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0L (305ci) TBI V8
Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic O/D
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt Borg Warner, 3.70 posi
You need to take out the entire regulator assembly from inside the door. Once you get the door panel off, have a friend hold on to the glass and slide the rollers out, separating the glass from the regulator assm. Then you can pull out the regulator and slowly drop the glass into the door while you're working on installing the new motor at the regulator. You might want to get some C-Clamps to hold the sping on the 'closed' position and install the new motor. Once you et the new motor installed at the regulator assm, put everything back in.

I did this probably last year for the second time (first time was for my old 91 V6) - seems like these motors are always the thing that go out first when you buy used 3rd gen. This will take some patience and if the process I descrobe above is innacurate, please correct me (I don't remember all the details).

Good luck!

Old 03-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

well this is where i'm at now, old window motor is out, glass is all the way up being held by a bolt and nut. I got the motor stuck it in the door watched from above tried to line up the old holes and no luck. So your saying take the whole window off the track? I'll take pictures tommorow
Old 03-29-2005, 06:37 PM

Well, you said when you removed the old motor the spring just snapped open, yes? Well, the glass in basically held by the spring's tension, so that's why you need to take the whole assembly out, clamp the 'scissors' closed, and the holes should line up with the new motor's. Then you can install the new motor and let go of the clamp.

You should've removed the regulator WITH the old motor attached, and replaced it out of the car (while holding 'scissors' closed by C-clamp). So I think your biggest challenge now is to clamp close the 'scissors' and line up the holes.

I hope this is clear, sorry I can't explain any better

Old 03-31-2005, 07:41 PM

Nobody covered putting the spring back on....Ive installed glass for 10 years and still hate doing regulators. The spring can be very dangerous and if your not carefull you can loss a finger or two. My advice is to take it to a glass shop...have them put the motor...and spring on the regulator, if they are not installing it into the car labor shouldnt be that bad.

Andy
Old 03-31-2005, 07:47 PM
Supreme Member

well you make it sound more dangerous then it was, maybe i didn't spoll the coil to its full capacity that it shoudl be?
Old 03-31-2005, 07:53 PM

Hmm, crazy3rdgen still need to put that spring back on....
I know replacing the p/w motor is pain, but not too bad if you did it several times already and if you want to save some $$.

ajhagerman is right though, the spring is VERY dangerous. A friend of mine removed the motor w/o clamping the regulator and it sprang open on him and knock his safety google off (good thing he had a google on!)

I had my old Camaro for 5 years and in the 4th year the motor died (AGAIN), so I finally went to a local junk yard to purchase a pair of manual window regulators and converted the car to crank. Problem solved!

My mistake : bought a reman motor, cheap w/ lifetime guarantee, but don't last long. For my current Camaro, I bought a Siemens/VDO motors (brand new), $95 / pair, and they still work like magic after almost 3 yrs.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:56 PM
Supreme Member

yep thats what i'm thinking about but i dunno electric is nice sometimes
Old 03-31-2005, 09:12 PM

not trying to say you cant do it..but if you didnt have a hard time putting the spring back on you did it wrong...maybe up side down or like you said not tight enough. If you didnt install it correctly its not gonna help the window go up....Ive never not done one correctly so I dont know the outcome..if it will go up at all. The easiest way of doing a regulator is to take it out of the door..motor attached...use clamps (like others have suggested)..then take the motor off. Still has some risks but easier.

Good luck!
Andy
Old 03-31-2005, 09:51 PM

Here's an idea:
Since putting the spring back will be difficult (as Andy mentioned), you might want to look for a used 3rd gen p/w regulator, and just replace the (probably) dead motor on that used regulator with your new one; this time with the correct procedure - i.e. scrap your old regulator / spring. Hate to see things go to waste, but sometimes they just have to