Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

reproduction seat foam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reproduction seat foam?

Does anyone know where to get reproduction seat back foam?
My drivers side, just like everyone's, is wore out on the bolster. I have searched and came up with nothing or if anyone has an used one I would buy it.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:41 PM

Car: 87 & 89 Iroc's
Engine: 5.0 - 5.7
Transmission: 700R's
Axle/Gears: 2.77 - 3.70
A good upholstry shop can reproduce them.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:49 PM

Car: 1986 Iroc-Z
classic industries sells seat foam. they are probably alittle pricey but it could be worth it. what kind of seats do you have? the kind with the headrest or the sportier bucket type with the one top peice and bottom bucket?
Old 09-26-2005, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: blue
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
No one makes it for our cars. I have looked. I even e mailed american cushion industries. They are the people that make them for the big guys like year one and classic inds. etc. They currently have no plans to reproduce them.

Last edited by 89rsragtop; 09-26-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 6.0 LS
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70
do what i did, pull off your seat covers, clean up the drivers bolster foam a bit, find a pass seat of the same style and cut the bolster off the side next to the console and transplant it into your seat. it gave me a chance to make bolsters the way i wanted so i cut them long enough to help snug up on the back area more and with some of the extra i just slit the other side of the drivers seat (non traffic side) and put a wedge in there. took a wedge off the lower half of the doner seat and built up the lower back area and did the same thing with the hamstring are of the lower part of the seat.
i have recieved many comps on how the seat feels. gave me a chance to throw the seat covers and head rest in the wash.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:49 AM

Legal Disaster- They are the 2 piece seats with seperate headrest.

89rsragtop- I was hoping you wouldn't say that

Quickchicken- Thats a good idea, but what did you use to connect the two pieces of foam?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: blue
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
Originally posted by QUICKCHICKEN
[B]do what i did, pull off your seat covers, clean up the drivers bolster foam a bit, find a pass seat of the same style and cut the bolster off the side next to the console and transplant it into your seat./B]
How did you do that? there is a wire frame inbedded in the foam .
Old 09-28-2005, 12:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 6.0 LS
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70
Originally posted by 89rsragtop
How did you do that? there is a wire frame inbedded in the foam .
Originally posted by RS1992
Quickchicken- Thats a good idea, but what did you use to connect the two pieces of foam?
easy, i litterly cut the foam right at the frame and some off the side, i collected as much as possible when i made my cut. iv been told an electric knife works great when cutting foam.
what i did for attaching and setup was i (IIRC) mount the foam and get an idea of how much is needed to be cut to make it fit and look right under the fabric and fit to the other side so it would stick good. i think if i remember correctly i hadta put the seat cover on a time or 2 for test fitment but it wasnt that bad at all esp if you turn the cover inside out and walk it down.
when i was sure where i wanted the donor foam to sit i made sure both areas were reasonably flat. not prefect but ok flat. then i glued the mess out of it with permitex headliner/fabric glue. that stuff is wicked for this app. i gave it a while to dry and then proceeded to do the other side by slitting the side of the bolster just infront of the frame and inserted a wedge of foam to make the non traffic bolster match the outer bolster.
now if your door side bolster is ok and can handle being cut on the side and filled like then then go for it as it will be easier.
if ya plan it out and follow the contours the fabric should be built back up and tight like new.i'll try and get some pics of mine and point a few things out in the pics.