Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Interior revamp is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: Roller 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: built ten bolt 3.73's
Interior revamp is it worth it?

Well I have been searching for the last several hours on here and ams till pretty torn as to what I should do or consider. I currently am working on my '84 Z28, the car is very straight, however the interior is in fair shape. The seats are perfect front and back. However the seats themselves aren't all that comfortable. The interior needs new door panels and carpet as well as headliner. Last summer I parted out a 99 Z28 and I still have the complete interior. It had power medium grey seats. These are alot more comfortable by far. However my current interior is a dark grey and these would stick out like a sore thumb. I tried to find a pic of the two colors in someones car to no success. So basically I am thinking since I need to replace the carpet I could go with a light grey to match the fourth gen seats, then from there I would have to change the door panels to the 91-92 light grey third gen ones to match that. However all of this would work, then I would need to recarpet the hatch to match. So should I just sell the seats and be comfortable where I am at, or is it worth my time revamping all of this for a little bit of extra comfort and a more updated look rather than the early 80's black and grey checkering that is in it right now?

-SmallTires

Current look:

Old 02-19-2006, 07:50 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro Coupe
Engine: 2.8L V6
Transmission: 700R4
I started to redo my interior last May. So far I am about $1000 into it, and all I have to show for it is carpet insulation, and two racing seats in my room. My whole interior is gutted with the exception of my drivers seat, shifter, and my dash with gauges. When I started last my I wanted to restore my interior, so I put leather door panels in. But I soon decided I didnt like em, and decided to buy 4th gen panels. Then I figured out that it was too much trouble to make them fit. So now I am wanting to buy the next best thing GTA deluxe door panels. Also originally I wanted to keep my stock seats, but my drifting incident in the rain on a backroad made me invest in racing seats so I can run a harness. But now the problem is getting brackets for the seats made, (luckily this will be taken care of tuesday). People come up and ask me all the time why I only have one seat in my car and why its gutted. I tell them its a d rag car, and they laugh. Then I go onto tell them thats its a car owned by a teen who cant make up his mind. The other day I decided that i'm ready to finish the interior up and move onto other more important parts of my car. So, I got on the internet and made a list of everything I had left to buy, and how much it was going to cost. It came out ot $2700. So I figure its going to be around $3700 I will have invested in my interior when i'm done. My suggestion to you is before you decide to take all your stuff out and fix it up, make sure you know what your going to do before you do it. Get the image in your head of what you want it to look like and stick with it. It will save you money in the end. Also, before you make a big purchase like 4th gen door panels come here and do a search or ask a question to find out what your really getting into, because sometimes the easiest and "coolest" things arent so simple, and can be a waste in the end. Thats just my opnion, and I dont mean to scare you, or say its not worth it. Because when mine is done, if its done the way I invision it, it will be worth all $3700 I put into it. Whatever you decide, good luck with it.
Han
Old 02-20-2006, 03:00 AM

Car: 91 Silverado
Engine: 350 TBI, EBL Tuned
Transmission: 700R4
I would do it if you drive the car everyday. I can't stand driving a car when the interior is falling apart around you. (headliners)
Old 02-20-2006, 05:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: Modified 350 TPI
Transmission: Modified 700 R4
Axle/Gears: Posi 3.42
Do it how YOU want it. If it ends up costing too much, oh well. This is why we are all here. To fix up these beat up cars and breathe some new life in a 15 year old car. I would stick with the original style seats. The one you have are electric also, a plus. Sell your 4th gen stuff and use the cash to pursue your 3rd gen dreams of grandure. I only spent about $1300 on my interior revamp. Thats new carpet, Reupholstered seats, door panels, headliner, and sunvisors. I was in the same boat, my interior was factory grey, but not any more.

Last edited by techno101; 08-11-2006 at 04:37 AM.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: Modified 350 TPI
Transmission: Modified 700 R4
Axle/Gears: Posi 3.42
door panels
Attached Thumbnails Interior revamp is it worth it?-door.jpg