Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Bumper crack, advise from experienced please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumper crack, advise from experienced please!

I have a front bumper cover crack that is approximately 2 inches long on the part between the front corner light and fog light. it is more of an "L" shaped crack. all pieces are still intact, nothing missing. The bumper cover is off already and i have access from both sides. What is the best solution to fix this crack without taking it to the body shop and all the tools. Are there any miracle glue or epoxy that i can purchase to fix this problem without having to purchase some expensive tool? would it be better to work on one side or from both. Please anyone with some real experience give me some advise on the best method to achieve maximum results with what is available to me.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91Z28 L98
Engine: HSR 350
Transmission: Goebel 700R4
Re: Bumper crack, advise from experienced please!

Shouldn't be too difficult. I had about a four inch tear in my bumper that I repaired several years ago. After paint, it was unnoticable for 2 years until I sold the car. I actually took a little piece of sheetmetal and epoxied it to the back side for support, but I don't know if that was necessary. You can buy flexible bumper repair kits at your local auto store. It's a two part kit that you mix just like those epoxy kits and requires no special tools except maybe a putty knife and dremel. You'll want to take a dremel and grind the crack to a v (kind of make a valley where the crack is). This will allow you to 'putty' the mixture in there and make good contact with both sides. After it dries, it can be sanded. I sanded mine down some, but when I got it painted, I let the experts sand it a little more until it was unnoticable. If you undertake this project, google "bumper repair" and there are a lot of good guides out there that will walk you through it step by step.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:38 PM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

I agree on the bumper repair kits. I did that on my brothers Celica, and it turned out pretty good.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:13 PM

Car: 88 iroc camaro
Engine: jasper 350, l98
Transmission: 700R4, corvette servo, shift kit.
Axle/Gears: stock

sounds like you have a bumper that cracked in the same exact spot as the one on my car. i used an angle grinder to notch out a V shape in the front side. then i put some masking tape on the front side so that i could put the plastic epoxy on the back with plenty of reinforcement. then i pulled the tape out and filled the front with epoxy and again left plenty of reinforcement that could be sanded down. looks prety good now but it has only been a few days. I used plastic epoxy by SEM that i got from auto paint store. it is real liquidy so you want to put the bumper so the repair area is as flat as possible then work quick because you only have about 10 minutes before it hardens.