Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

'What is the most ghetto thing YOU'VE done to your car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 RS camaro 305 TBI
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: yep, has those too (stock)
Re: 'What is the most ghetto thing YOU'VE done to your car?

The airdam btw is made of high density PVC foam.

http://www.eastsign.com/pm1c3.html

Found the stuff as hobby accessory in a local DIY store that offered it in 20x20", 20x40" meter and 20x50" sheets. It´s about 3mm/ 1/8" thick. I wish I could find the stuff in 5 or 6mm however so I could get rid of the bracing I am now using.

The density of the stuff is about 5,8 lbs/gallon

The sheets can be cut using an xacto knife, but that takes some effort.

I previously had a smaller airdam that did not need any kind of bracing. The rear structure is 2" tall and the foam sheet was 5" tall. It held up to speeds up to 100 mph without problems.

The current sheet is 7" tall and 40" wide and needed a bit of additional bracing re-using the previously used rear structure.
I think with these dimensions it has more surface area then the stock airdam. With that it moves a lot of air, causes a considerable low pressure area but also causes significant amounts of drag.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Cops the world over can be D**ks. I got a ticket for no front plate (ironically, I was parked in front of a soccer field where I was coaching a local youth team- volunteer to help people and no good deed goes unpunished). I went to Walmart, got 4 plastic suckers used to hold a soap dish on a shower wall and used them to attach my plate to the inside of the windshield, in the lower corner. Went to get the ticket signed off and 'no dice' even though it was attached to the vehicle, visible from the front and not higher than 60 inches off the ground, as the law required. The cop said it had to be screwed to the front.
I said my car didn't come with a front plate mounting location and I was not screwing holes into the front of my car. The cop said he had a 3rd gen with a plate like that years ago and it was too bad for me.

So I came up with a custom bracket that holds the plate and didn't require drilling any holes...take THAT, Smokie!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On an older car, I got frustrated trying to diagnose intermittent problems with my starter circuitry. I gave up and added a new starter button, wired straight to the solenoid with house AC wiring. It was ghetto but less ghetto than starting my car with a screwdriver.

Before that, I wired in a potentiometer that would distort a sensor reading to make the engine run rich. It was dumb, but I thought it was going to give me more power. All it really did is confuse other people when they drove it, they'd play with the **** and then they couldn't get the car to start.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '83 Sport Coupe
Engine: 360
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 TrueTrac

On my first Camaro years ago (bought without engine or trans) I ended up putting half the intake manifold on the engine with self tapping bolts from home depot Ran great til I sold her!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1967 Firebird P.T.
Engine: LS3 4" Strkr 422ci
Transmission: MN12 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 8.5" 10 Bolt Eaton

Originally Posted by 68Strat
On my first Camaro years ago (bought without engine or trans) I ended up putting half the intake manifold on the engine with self tapping bolts from home depot Ran great til I sold her!

Super Ghetto and your from Mass too! lol
Old 06-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1996 Camaro, 1985 Camaro
Engine: 3.8, 3.4
Transmission: WC T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23(?), 3.42

Anything I do halfass/ghetto rig is a temporary fix due to lack of money and or necessary tools to do it right, but currently I would have to say the half spray can primer job I did to keep the rust at bay till I sort out the rest of the car, get a new floor pan in it, and get it taken to bare metal for fresh paint. I've also got somewhat of a ghetto floorpan patch job...but that was the shop, had I known how bad my driver side pan was, I would've just sprung for a new one, cause the patch doesn't cut it, I've also got a hole I cut for the access panel, they're clean street cuts and I didn't rip the metal or anything, but I haven't sprung for the $30-40 access panel yet, my glass hood had a sizable crack in it(bought it second hand) repaired it structurally, but haven't laid down the resin layers and sanded to make it all flush for paint yet. I had a plumbing fixture on one of my coolant pipes cause I needed a quick fix and the part had to be ordered, but I actually just ordered the correct fitting the other day, I use a tie wrap to keep one of my coolant hoses from getting caught in the serp belt, which isn't very ghetto imo, it works well and I actually found one that doesn't have to be cut everytime even, theres probably other little things, like how I am integrating my B&M shifter using the old cable and a cut out piece of the old shift bracket to hold the cable right. It's pretty ghetto overall, but I plan to have the car for life probably, and will be going back and redoing things when I can.