Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Source for Repair Panels for behind rear wheels ONLY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '88 Formula
Engine: 406, CF heads, Comp 212/218, Rhoads
Transmission: WC T5, 0.61 option
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt 3.08, re-ground Auburn Posi
Source for Repair Panels for behind rear wheels ONLY?

Getting ready for all new paint in the spring. Winter project is to fix rust and strip it to the metal. (It has a really bad and way too thick paint job over the original paint, from when a previous owner had a light collision to the front and replaced hood and fenders. Took me years to find a factory bulge hood like it had originally!)

I don't know how, and I don't care, but my 'Bird's body from the doors back is STRAIGHT and all original. No filler anywhere. The bottoms of the front fenders are jacked (pun intended ) from somebody jacking it up at the fender mounts instead of the subframe. Easy to fix.

The only rust I have is some heavy surface rust on the lower passenger door skin, and cancer in the very bottoms of the rear panels behind the wheel wells, and a small spot in the bottom of the spare tire well.

Worst case on the door, I can get a replacement lower door skin. I can easily fix the spare tire well.

However, I am unable to find a source for repair panels for the area just behind the rear wheels. I can find entire replacement rear quarter panels from Classic Industries, Year One, ThirdGen Ranch, and others. But that's major overkill and expense. Replace two perfectly straight original quarters, just to repair the very bottoms behind the wheel wells? Cut out and weld in 24 square feet of sheet metal, to fix half a square foot of rust? I don't think so!

Does anyone know a source for repair panels for behind the rear wheels only? NOT complete quarter panels?

If not, I'll have to stretch my skill set and fabricate them myself.

Last edited by SR-71; 11-21-2011 at 10:07 AM.