Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Water Leak - Wet Drivers Side Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700r4 w/B&M Shift Kit
Water Leak - Wet Drivers Side Carpet

Still trying to find the leak that gets my drivers side carpet wet. It occurs when the car is not being driven. I patched some rust holes in the wheel well and lifted the carpet out and looked while it was raining. The water seems to be running down along the transmission hump up from underneath the dash. It is not coming out of the vents that are located in this area. I had the dash out a few weeks back and didn't see any evidence of where the leak would be coming from. I did not however pull the firewall insulation off because I was thinking the water was coming from the holes in the wheel well.

Has anyone else had water getting in from this area? Any known leak points? Common rush spots??

Any help would be appreciated
Old 12-20-2011, 06:45 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Water Leak - Wet Drivers Side Carpet

Happens to me too but I have no idea where it's coming from. I get really soggy carpets on both sides if it rains. I think it has something to do with the exterior vents right below the windshield but I haven't had a chance to pull back the carpets to see where its coming from.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 156 Likes on 100 Posts
Car: 1984 T/A
Engine: LQ4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Ford 8.8 4.10 gears

I'm having the same problem
Old 02-02-2012, 08:55 AM

Car: '86 Firebird
Engine: '85 TPI on crate 350
Transmission: T-5 man

Originally Posted by 85IROCzzz
Happens to me too but I have no idea where it's coming from. I get really soggy carpets on both sides if it rains. I think it has something to do with the exterior vents right below the windshield but I haven't had a chance to pull back the carpets to see where its coming from.
That's exactly where I found pin holes all along the top of the firewall/cowl area. you'll have to pull the hood and the dash as well as the firewall padding to get to them. If you go that far make sure to check in the blower housing ... I had rust thru where 3 body panels came togeather !!

I didn't have a welder (and money was tight)at the time so I did a temp job that was suppose to las a year (well that was the plan.. 2-3 years ago)
I scraped out as much rust as I could and removed the old seam sealer. then used Ospho on the metal (a couple of coats) then primered / painted . then used seam sealer over all the pin holes. It's DEFINATLY not the right way to fix it but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by joshhsi
Still trying to find the leak that gets my drivers side carpet wet. It occurs when the car is not being driven. I patched some rust holes in the wheel well and lifted the carpet out and looked while it was raining. The water seems to be running down along the transmission hump up from underneath the dash. It is not coming out of the vents that are located in this area. I had the dash out a few weeks back and didn't see any evidence of where the leak would be coming from. I did not however pull the firewall insulation off because I was thinking the water was coming from the holes in the wheel well.

Has anyone else had water getting in from this area? Any known leak points? Common rush spots??

ok so my car has this same issue.and i found out where it was coming from,on the top corners of the cowl,right behind the hood hinges,is some body sealer,roughly at the bottom corners of the windshield.it dries and shrinks .pull this sealer out revealing the holes underneath,fill with silicone and your leaks are gone

Last edited by rusty vango; 02-12-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What you guys could do too is get in the car and shut the doors, then have a buddy take a garden hose and run water all over the problem area. You should see exactly where it's coming in from.

Tony
Old 02-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 156 Likes on 100 Posts
Car: 1984 T/A
Engine: LQ4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Ford 8.8 4.10 gears

Originally Posted by rusty vango
ok so my car has this same issue.and i found out where it was coming from,on the top corners of the cowl,right behind the hood hinges,is some body sealer,roughly at the bottom corners of the windshield.it dries and shrinks .pull this sealer out revealing the holes underneath,fill with silicone and your leaks are gone
would you happen to have a picture of tht?
Old 02-15-2012, 02:45 PM

Car: 92 rs 25th ann.
Engine: 383
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 342

I had the same problem and that was exactly were the problem was, I ground down the old seam sealer and put down new. Also had rusted the water run off chanel out were it meets up with blower motor hole, had to cut out all the rust and refab all new chanel. Also a dried out windsheild seal was adding to the problem, a quick call to a glass co. $150.00 later new glass and a new wider seal fixed that. Between the two spots no more leaks.
Attached Thumbnails Water Leak - Wet Drivers Side Carpet-1992-camaro-18-12511.jpg  
Old 02-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by joshhsi

the cowel at the corners has body putty that over time dries out and becomes ineffective. the spot youre looking for is at the rear edges of the hood hinges at the base of the windshield on both sides. this was a mystery on my car and i found the cause by accident.fill with the sealer of your choice,i used a wad of silicone