Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Paint engine bay black or red?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355ci SBC
Transmission: TH700R4 - 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt
Paint engine bay black or red?

I'm kinda stumped on what I should do as far as painting the engine compartment in my car while the engine is out. Going black would be the easiest option but I'm not sure how it would look. Do any of you have TPI engine bays painted black? My car is bright red btw...

If you have any pics of black bays I'd love to see them. Been searching, just hard to make up my mind on what looks best. This is a pic I took before I pulled the motor. Since then I have repainted the K-member black and installed all new UMI red suspension parts. I have coated Hedman headers, SLP intake runners, GMPP Aluminum bowtie valve covers and some other nice parts to brighten up under the hood. Will be hiding the wiring as best as I can once the engine goes back in as well.

Thanks for any input you guys can give me...
Attached Thumbnails Paint engine bay black or red?-374739_2371226121598_1278842043_3992157_571323760_n.jpg  
Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Paint engine bay black or red?

I went with black on mine because when I had the motor out, I hadn't picked the shade of red I wanted yet. I think it turned out good. I just rattle canned it too, since so much of it you don't even see

Old 04-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi

Go with black. Gives it that "classic car look" & will go with whatever exterior color you ever choose to have in the future.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '02 T/A WS6, '91 T/A, '91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1, LB9, L03
Transmission: T56, 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10 bolt, 2.73 10 bolts

Personally I'd paint it the color of the car to keep it original/correct...when I see different color paint under the hood, I immediately think "non-original body color/improperly done paintjob". I think it seriously cheapens the appearance of the car.

But if you're not looking to match the body color, I'd go with Black before I went with a different shade of Red that doesn't match the car.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by cdoyle
I went with black on mine because when I had the motor out, I hadn't picked the shade of red I wanted yet. I think it turned out good. I just rattle canned it too, since so much of it you don't even see

Now that looks good! Another thing with going back red would be the cost, then prep work and getting it glossy. Black would be so much easier. I may go black, yours looks really good. Like how you left the fender lip red. Makes it look like the car came factory with a Black engine bay.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey why not just rattlecan the whole damn car? It'd certainly be easier and more important than anything CHEAPER than doing it the right way, why try to have anything nice when you can have something cheap and crappy instead?

Black looks absolutely terrible.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Body colored as God and GM intended. Anything else looks bad, IMO.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: GTA
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi

Originally Posted by puma1552
Hey why not just rattlecan the whole damn car? It'd certainly be easier and more important than anything CHEAPER than doing it the right way, why try to have anything nice when you can have something cheap and crappy instead?

Black looks absolutely terrible.
Originally Posted by chazman
Body colored as God and GM intended. Anything else looks bad, IMO.
You 2 guys are obviously very young & not familiar with older cars. 1st & 2nd gen had black engine compartments. Even up through 87 the Firebirds (dunno about Camaros) had the upper cowl painted black....FROM THE FACTORY (so much for "Body colored as GM intended since GM did black").

And puma.....While there is Freedom of Speech here, it is still very inappropriate to be making statements like you just did. At least chazman said "IMO".
Old 04-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by BlackenedBird
You 2 guys are obviously very young & not familiar with older cars. 1st & 2nd gen had black engine compartments. Even up through 87 the Firebirds (dunno about Camaros) had the upper cowl painted black....FROM THE FACTORY (so much for "Body colored as GM intended since GM did black").

And puma.....While there is Freedom of Speech here, it is still very inappropriate to be making statements like you just did. At least chazman said "IMO".

Oh...how I wish I were "very young"!

Anyway, the OEM way is body colored.

Last edited by chazman; 04-21-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm very well aware that many muscle cars came with black bays. Unfortunately the OP's car did not, and it looks horrible. It's pretty obvious whenever someone here paints their bay black that it:

A) was done because it was the CHEAPEST way
B) was done with a rattlecan
C) was done half-assed (see B)

Have you ever seen anyone here media blast their car and then paint the bay black? Nope, but I've seen a million haf-*** rattlecan engine bays.

it is still very inappropriate to be making statements like you just did.
Not really, after a decade of 90% of the body threads I've opened here involving half-assedness and rattlecans, it gets old.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Stay red...
Old 04-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Christine Z28
Engine: RV Cam and Intake 350 SBC
Transmission: 5speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08 ls Posi

The red looks fine, just touch it up.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Z28
Axle/Gears: Stock

I'm very well aware that many muscle cars came with black bays. Unfortunately the OP's car did not, and it looks horrible. It's pretty obvious whenever someone here paints their bay black that it:

A) was done because it was the CHEAPEST way
B) was done with a rattlecan
C) was done half-assed (see B)

Have you ever seen anyone here media blast their car and then paint the bay black? Nope, but I've seen a million haf-*** rattlecan engine bays.

Not really, after a decade of 90% of the body threads I've opened here involving half-assedness and rattlecans, it gets old.

100% correct.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:18 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Have you ever seen anyone here media blast their car and then paint the bay black? Nope
I was actually planning on doing this.

Since I'm painting the engine red I want something to compliment it, and I think painting the bay black would make it "pop" more.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:51 AM

I'm going back Red... factory paint code Bright Red. Ordered paint, reducer and activator from Eastwood... so it will be done correctly and not rattle canned. After looking at the car for a while I decided it would look best painted as it was from the factory. But... I am doing the cowl black... as my 01 SS is black, even though its plastic. But the strut towers, radiator support and firewall will be base / clear Bright Red. I'll post pics when its complete... thanks for the input and insults. lmao.. got to love the internet.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:24 AM

Please don't forget you asked for input, and when you do, there are no rules. Glad to see your going red. I was unaware that Eastwood would mix factory colors.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:46 PM

Car: 83 Berlinetta
Engine: 2.8

Black....its a much cleaner look and if you decide to repaint the car in the future you dont have to yank the engine

i rattle canned the engine bay in my old car it came out amazing
Old 04-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

Originally Posted by utfan01ss
I'm going back Red... factory paint code Bright Red. Ordered paint, reducer and activator from Eastwood... so it will be done correctly and not rattle canned. After looking at the car for a while I decided it would look best painted as it was from the factory. But... I am doing the cowl black... as my 01 SS is black, even though its plastic. But the strut towers, radiator support and firewall will be base / clear Bright Red. I'll post pics when its complete... thanks for the input and insults. lmao.. got to love the internet.
Great Choice
Old 04-22-2012, 03:26 PM

Car: 84 Camaro
Engine: 357
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 4.10's / Strange LSD

Mine is black(I guess I half a$$ed it) I think it looks good not great but it would not look great with body color either.. I'm not a painter and I have done everything on my car myself. It's your car so do whatever color you want. It's all an opinion and there are a few members on here that think there opinion is the only opinion that matters but until they pay for your paint...do it your way.

Mark.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

You think the black looks much cleaner? I have to disagree. There is too much black under the hood with belts, hoses, strut tower covers, etc that the engine gets lost. If you paint the bay body color and keep it clean, the contrast looks much better than rattle can black.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by haps
Please don't forget you asked for input, and when you do, there are no rules. Glad to see your going red. I was unaware that Eastwood would mix factory colors.

So instead of giving helpful advice to a fellow enthusiasts... the correct response is to act like an immature kid. And for what reason? Does it make you guys feel better? I'm sure none of you would act this way at a car show in person to another third gen owner, but on the internet you feel safe to do so. Got it.

Its not the factory Bright Red, but its close, and its the paint the whole car will be painted. Its the Pro Street Red, which is a very bright red so I think it'll look good. We'll see.

Last edited by utfan01ss; 04-23-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by whatever84
Mine is black(I guess I half a$$ed it) I think it looks good not great but it would not look great with body color either.. I'm not a painter and I have done everything on my car myself. It's your car so do whatever color you want. It's all an opinion and there are a few members on here that think there opinion is the only opinion that matters but until they pay for your paint...do it your way.

Mark.

Absolutely! I think either way looks good. My concern was lack of experience with a paint gun but I've got an old hood to practice on before I paint the engine bay. We'll see what happens. Hopefully it will turn out nice
Old 04-23-2012, 01:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

get a gallon of rustolum industrial enamel in the color you like and use mineral spirits to thin it. The slow dry time will allow you to brush it on and it will dry smooth. You can really get it into all those tight places better and its beyond durable.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gumby
get a gallon of rustolum industrial enamel in the color you like and use mineral spirits to thin it. The slow dry time will allow you to brush it on and it will dry smooth. You can really get it into all those tight places better and its beyond durable.

Wow... no thanks.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
You think the black looks much cleaner? I have to disagree. There is too much black under the hood with belts, hoses, strut tower covers, etc that the engine gets lost. If you paint the bay body color and keep it clean, the contrast looks much better than rattle can black.

Your car is beautiful man! You have a good point, especially seeing how nice your engine bay is. Hopefully mine will be that clean once its done. Now is yours a low mileage car or did you do a ton of work to get it that clean? I need to figure out how to clean my TPI intake to look that good.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 AM

So instead of giving helpful advice to a fellow enthusiasts... the correct response is to act like an immature kid. And for what reason? Does it make you guys feel better? I'm sure none of you would act this way at a car show in person to another third gen owner, but on the internet you feel safe to do so. Got it.

Its not the factory Bright Red, but its close, and its the paint the whole car will be painted. Its the Pro Street Red, which is a very bright red so I think it'll look good. We'll see.
I'm sorry, I missed the part where you asked for helpful advice. And yes, if someone were to ask me for "input" on their red third gen with a black engine bay, I would certainly tell them.

I think the decision to go body color is a good one. I also like the fact that you intend to practice painting on something other than your car. Well done.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 AM

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro
Engine: Missing
Transmission: Missing
Axle/Gears: 9" Ford

i did mine satin black with a 2 stage paint. came out nice. but im all so planning on use stainless hosing and anodized blue accents for the rad and a good amout of the vac lines and what not. but i allso have a carb... theres a lot less going in the bay. mind you its not yet "running". still going back together
Attached Thumbnails Paint engine bay black or red?-img_0592-2.jpg  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by haps
I'm sorry, I missed the part where you asked for helpful advice. And yes, if someone were to ask me for "input" on their red third gen with a black engine bay, I would certainly tell them.

I think the decision to go body color is a good one. I also like the fact that you intend to practice painting on something other than your car. Well done.

Thanks for your input. Mainly I was asking for pics of black bays and thoughts about going either body color or black. I've it done both ways, and each way looks good if done right. Although after looking at several, body color is the way to go for me.

I'm the type that does a ton of research before jumping into something. As I try to do it the right way the first time. Every car I've owned has been show quality when completed. So I want my IROC, which is my favorite out of them all, to be done right.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Wow... no thanks.
look it up online first, I don't agree with people brushing whole cars, even if it looks like it was sprayed after, were talking an engine bay where new automotive paints won't be able to hold up to the same abuse over time.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:29 AM

Car: 1991 camaro rs
Engine: modded 305 v8
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: stock rs gears

im doing mine a very rare older green camaro color and the paint all together will be $700. i am doing an epoxy coated engine bay and im also doing it right because it looks better. Just because an engine bay is black doesnt mean it was done cheap and crappy.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro
Engine: Missing
Transmission: Missing
Axle/Gears: 9" Ford

Originally Posted by 406ci91rs
im doing mine a very rare older green camaro color and the paint all together will be $700. i am doing an epoxy coated engine bay and im also doing it right because it looks better. Just because an engine bay is black doesnt mean it was done cheap and crappy.
i have to agree. the rattle canned engine bay looks good for about a month then fades chips and peels. i too used a good epoxy primer and paint, and am very happy with the results.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:52 PM

Car: 83 Berlinetta
Engine: 2.8

the crap my dad used was for engine bays ill have to find the can to see what it is but he used it on his El Camino about a year ago and it still looks like it did the day he painted it

i mean if you get the crappy generic 97 cent can of flat black...yeah it will look bad
Old 04-27-2012, 02:12 PM

Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.
Engine: 385 stroker sbc
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.70 Wavetrac

I dont agree with half the guys on here.
If you have the motor out it isnt that much more difficult to remove a few items so you can actually lay down some nice paint. Nothing is wrong with rattle can paint, I just wouldnt use duplicolor gloss enamel, atleast buy automotive body paint.

Just dont go spray paint everything in your engine bay like a few of the photos above, please mask things off.

You put the work into the motor, why not make the engine bay look sweet too