Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

lighting project, get your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: GM crate motor Goodwrench 5.7 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
lighting project, get your opinion?

So after many hours of wiring, fishing and some trouble shooting, I have replaced all interior bulbs with red LEDs and ran some new LED strips in the rear foot wells and along the rear hatch. My HID kit just arrived and once the wiring harness comes in ill have some beautiful headlights too. Once they are ready, im getting a set of the sequential LED tail lights as well. Eventually i plan to replace every bulb with LEDs and add a few under the hood. Anyways, with my HID kit, there is a small wedge bulb under the projector that lights up the rest of the reflector housing with whatever color I put in, most likely red because my interior is all red. This will hook up to my running/ parking lights whatever you want to call them. After everything is installed Im thinking of making my own angel/ demon eyes halo kit. Just curious if in my fellow thirdgen owners opinion am I getting too "r i c e r like"? Once my HID kit is installed I will post a pic of them and be making a video of all my light mods and can photoshop what the halo eyes would look like. All opinions appreciated!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: lighting project, get your opinion?

Originally Posted by Dabesiv
So after many hours of wiring, fishing and some trouble shooting, I have replaced all interior bulbs with red LEDs and ran some new LED strips in the rear foot wells and along the rear hatch. My HID kit just arrived and once the wiring harness comes in ill have some beautiful headlights too. Once they are ready, im getting a set of the sequential LED tail lights as well. Eventually i plan to replace every bulb with LEDs and add a few under the hood. Anyways, with my HID kit, there is a small wedge bulb under the projector that lights up the rest of the reflector housing with whatever color I put in, most likely red because my interior is all red. This will hook up to my running/ parking lights whatever you want to call them. After everything is installed Im thinking of making my own angel/ demon eyes halo kit. Just curious if in my fellow thirdgen owners opinion am I getting too "r i c e r like"? Once my HID kit is installed I will post a pic of them and be making a video of all my light mods and can photoshop what the halo eyes would look like. All opinions appreciated!
Everything sounds good, except for the city lights. I've never really been a fan of those. If you plan on hooking them up to your parking light, you better have a switch just for them too. Otherwise, you'll get pulled over all the for having red lights up front like that.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt disc / 3:27

Like to see a picture of what you have done already. I'm debating about undercarriage lights
Old 05-17-2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by cdoyle
Everything sounds good, except for the city lights. I've never really been a fan of those. If you plan on hooking them up to your parking light, you better have a switch just for them too. Otherwise, you'll get pulled over all the for having red lights up front like that.
I thought about that, i rarely have my parking lights on unless im parked, or its dusk, so for now i may take the risk. my neighbor is a cop so i could ask him if he thinks its worth the effort of a second switch.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by DrewsCam
Like to see a picture of what you have done already. I'm debating about undercarriage lights
I might take a pic or two when it gets dark and stops raining. I think the undercarrige could look great if done properly. Id check your local laws about it though. I know here you cant have any neon/undercarrige lights, lights on the valve stem, antenna etc. pretty much anything that can be a distraction to other drivers unless its an off road vehicle
Old 05-17-2012, 09:03 PM

this is a quick and not amazing photoshop of possible ways to do this. the left one takes demon eyes to another level haha but it could be fun. my camaro is silver so idk if it makes it look any different.
Attached Thumbnails lighting project, get your opinion?-possible-demon-eyes.jpg  
Old 05-31-2012, 10:47 PM

I've been thinking of doing this myself, but a traditional angel eye isn't going to look right on our headlights.

I suggest making a custom rectangular ones. Just the sides and the bottom of the lights, but make the inner sides shorter than the outer ones, so the car looks "angry".
Old 06-01-2012, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by HowardC
I've been thinking of doing this myself, but a traditional angel eye isn't going to look right on our headlights.

I suggest making a custom rectangular ones. Just the sides and the bottom of the lights, but make the inner sides shorter than the outer ones, so the car looks "angry".
yeah, after playing around with the halos for around a week I decided the rings are not right for these cars and was thinking exactly what you said.
If my planning is good and I get a few days off to do it, im gonna do LED strips in each light well, not sure how ill set them up yet, but im still planning. i think ill run a line off the ignition power to a custom console power switch and run that to the lights. i dont want the eyes to be turning off and on with the turn signals if i ran it off the sidemarkers and all. if i get real fancy i could do a multi-colored LED with red and white lights and be able to switch between them so as to avoid legal problems later with inspections etc.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:59 AM

Well keep me posted. Atm I've got other issues with my car and can't work on this but I'm very interested in how it would turn out.

Also note that the brackets that hold on our headlights are a good mount point. Design a strip with some screw holes and it could be attach using the existing screws on the brackets.