Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

headlight switch broken!!! WTF!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2000, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headlight switch broken!!! WTF!!!!

Check this out: My damn headlight switch in my 1990 camaro rs is busted. It's the kind you pull out to activate the parking/headlights, and turn left or right to control the instrument panel/dome light.

It's unfortunately broken in the pulled out(headlight activated) position. This of course means that my chevy ****box requires me to unplug the battery every time I go somewhere so it won't drain. what a fantastic anti-theft system!! anyone know how to fix this? how big a pain in the *** is it to pull the dash apart and do this? the damn chevy dealer wanted like $200.00 to fix this. any help greatly appreciated.

------------------
1990 Camaro RS
305 TBI Auto
K&N Open Air Element, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Edelbrock Headers,Catco Hi Flow Cat, Edelbrock Exhaust, Hypertech Underdrive Pulley's, Jacobs Ignition, Fast Chip PROM, B&M Shift Kit, B&M Mega Shifter, 3.73 Rear with Auburn Limited Slip, KYB GR2 Gas Shocks and Struts, Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs, Edelbrock 3 Point Strut Tower Brace, Baer 13 in. Slotted Rotors with Metallic Pads, American Racing Torq Thrust II 16x8 Wheels with Toyo 245 50 VR 16 Tires, 3 in. Cowl Hood, A little weight here and a little weight there.
Old 10-26-2000, 07:58 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Bwahahaha! I had the same thing happen last year. There is a black plastic piece that holds the switch into place, and if that breaks, the whole switch pushes into the dash when you try to shut off your lights. It's a pain in the a$$, but you have to pull the switch out from underneath. You have to drop the fuse panel and fish it out. The part is about a $2 part from GM.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 10-26-2000, 04:13 PM

i had to replace the entire switch mech, the only thing that was saved when all was done was the ****, i even ended up breaking the plastic screw that holds the switch in on accident, on my 91Z i did not have to drop the fuse panel as jim said, maybe that would have been easier, i dunno, i just took the whole dash apart including taking the instrument cluster out and it gave me good enough access to the switch, easy fix, just a pain.
Old 10-27-2000, 09:16 AM

On my 91 rs I got the whole switch out with only taking apart the two panels under the dash. Once the pull **** is out, you just unscrew the black "nut" that holds the switch assembly to the dash and if you wiggle it enough, it will fall through. It really wasn't that hard to change, took about 20 minutes to do it all.

------------------
91 rs, convertible, K&N, Edelbrock open element cleaner, 3.73, B&M mega-shifter, goodmark cowl-induction hood
Old 10-27-2000, 09:18 AM

if you pulled the fuse, it wouldn't drain the battery, at least i don't think so. That would be easier than un-hooking the battery every time.

------------------
91 rs, convertible, K&N, Edelbrock open element cleaner, 3.73, B&M mega-shifter, goodmark cowl-induction hood
Old 10-29-2000, 04:25 PM

mike ghoul: is your **** broken or is it the electrical part? If it's the electrical part, it's called the light switch. It really is not that hard to do amd you dont need to pull the dash apart. Just drop the fuse panel (2or 3 screws- real easy) then reach in there and disconnect the thing, but before you disconnect the thing, there is a button below the switch(you will see ithe button when you buy the part-$30 or so) when you push the button keep it pressed and pull out the ****'s rod that goes through the panel. It was real easy, the dealer quoted me $89 for labor then when they got the part, they changed the price to one similar to yours and said it would take three hours, so to rub it in I tried it myself right outside the dealership and finished in like 30 minutes. Good Luck

------------------
88 IROC-Z,L98 350 TPI, 700R-4 Tranny 2.77, K&N Filters, 126K Miles runs great.