Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Convertible help ANYONE

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro Convertible
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4
Convertible help ANYONE

Hey guys,

I am looking to find frame and locking mechanisms for my 88 convertible top. Can anyone help me? I have been looking for over a year and cannot find a single thing.

PS Anyone want to strip off there top and give it to me? Thought not.

Any help will be very appreciated and I am willing to trade parts for parts if that is what you want as well. Let me know.

James
Old 11-13-2000, 11:02 PM

Car: 89 Iroc Z Cnvertible
Engine: 409 SR
Transmission: 6 speed
Strip my top? Done, all you got to do is patch the two holes on either side (two inches in size)........email me, it will cost you a bit...but defiantely not as much as a new top:-)

HTH
Old 11-13-2000, 11:24 PM
Supreme Member

'Strip my top? Done, all you got to do is patch the two holes on either side (two inches in size)........email me, it will cost you a bit...but defiantely not as much as a new top:-)'

Are you kidding? I am a bit lost. I don't need the stayfast top, I need the actual metal frame and locking mechanisms. I can find the top pretty much anywhere, but need the parts. Do you maybe know where I can get stuff made? I am in desperate need.

Thanks,

James

Old 11-14-2000, 07:03 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
James,

I'm sorry I can't help you with your parts. Being an owner of a 1987 Z28 convertible, all I can do is wish you a lot of luck. The 1987 - 1988 top was different from all the other years and as you probably know, 1987 convertibles are very rare (only 1,007 ragtops were built that year). Convertible only parts for 1987 were never on stock at any dealerships, they were all special order items. I'm sure this was true for 1988 too. That means these parts were never produced in mass quantities.

In a way, you can consider yourself lucky that your car is not a 1987 because it has some one-year-only convertible parts, such as the rear spoiler (center section), the center brake light and side rear spoiler door extensions.

I believe the only place you will top hardware is in a junk yard. Good luck!!

------------------
Willie

Supercharged 1987 305 IROC-Z, Daily-Driver, Emissions-Legal.
12.57 @ 111 mph.
12.04 @ 114 mph (50-hp nitrous).
http://members.optushome.com/au/downunder1/rides/willie/willie.html

1987 "20th Anniversary Commemorative Edition" Z28 Convertible -- Super Chevy Show Class Winner, 1998.
Old 11-14-2000, 11:11 AM

You might want to try:
http://www.convertibleparts.com/index.html

I know they can replace or repair parts of the frame, they might be able to help you out with your problem.

and sorry about the confusion, I thought you were talking about the top afterwards

HTH
Old 11-14-2000, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

'You might want to try: http://www.convertibleparts.com/index.html
I know they can replace or repair parts of the frame, they might be able to help you out with your problem.

and sorry about the confusion, I thought you were talking about the top afterwards'

I found them in Hemmings motor news and called them awhile back, and of course, they couldn't get the parts they didnt have the parts. So what I want to know now, is where can I get a top made? I know that people chop their tops all the time, where do they get those frames? Just frames made for that era? Would a vette top fit? I was thinking of checking on the vettes, but I dont think they are anywhere near as long.

James
Old 11-14-2000, 04:07 PM

try www.thirdgenresource.com They might have something
Jeremy

------------------
92 Z conv
5-spd B&M
alston SFC, few mods, some free, some not
Old 11-14-2000, 04:12 PM

Like willie had said,
The frames are rare for 87-88 and do not fit the 89+ years. I woundn't bother with any other make than the Camaro specific. Keep in mind to that ACD or whoever it was that did the conversions, made a lot of changes to the frame through just one year, reason for the different size tops... I would keep looking all over the damm place untill you do find one. What about contacting a local convertible shop or an uphosltery shop, someone who can do "custom" work to the frame?......

Old 11-14-2000, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

Quote: 'Like willie had said,
The frames are rare for 87-88 and do not fit the 89+ years.'

Well, see that is even worse as I just found 2 89 convertibles that have the full frames and locking mechanisms for sale. My buddy told me he could MAKE it fit lol He actually could I am sure and it would probably work better than stock, but until that point I need all local options.

Quote: 'I wouldn’t bother with any other make than the Camaro specific. Keep in mind to that ACD or whoever it was that did the conversions, made a lot of changes to the frame through just one year, reason for the different size tops...'

Well, my top was done by 'coachworks'? I believe that is what they are called. I called Chevy and they told me that all of the companies that did the conversions have now gone out of business!!! Can anyone confirm? I would like to contact any of these companies directly to see what is laying in their warehouse depths. Does anyone know who makes the tops for GM now? Or any company that makes frames? I would like to contact them and see if they can make me something.

Quote: "I would keep looking all over the damn place until you do find one. What about contacting a local convertible shop or an upholstery shop, someone who can do "custom" work to the frame?......"

That's the problem for the past two and a half years I have been looking all over the place, I have even called Germany! To no Avail.
In regards to contacting a shop. I have contacted, almost literally, every upholstery and convertible shop from San Diego to San Francisco. I am in Orange County, CA and there was no go anywhere! I am getting very frustrated. What am I suppose to do? I’m not going to junk my car as I love it, I just want the damn thing to work is that too much too ask? Sorry for the vent, but you have no idea. It's not like I can't find just those perfect rims, it's something that I can't even make!

Anymore help you can offer me is very appreciated and the posts thus far I thank you for as I feel it is getting me closer.

Thanks,

James
Old 11-14-2000, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Jstcrzyengh:

Well, see that is even worse as I just found 2 89 convertibles that have the full frames and locking mechanisms for sale. My buddy told me he could MAKE it fit lol He actually could I am sure and it would probably work better than stock, but until that point I need all local options.

James,
I do know what its like, just not with the top. I hear your frustration, and to be honest, if you have found the two frames and a friend of yours can make them work, run with it. Buy both of them, you never know if you will ever need the other and I might be calling in the next ten years or so willing to pay big time for one .
If it were me, I would also go to great lengths to get what I want if no one has it locally. Just like driving over 1200 miles in a weekend with no sleep to pick up a T56 at a ridiculous price. I live in Atlanta, I would actually drive to the west coast in a chevy heartbeat to pick up a frame if I were in your situation, I really would.

Just my opinion.