Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Remote camera for rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2001, 01:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote camera for rear view mirror

Anyone ever thought of doing this? Mount one of those small (smaller than a quarter) black and white cameras flush with the taillight panel across the back (maybe next to the lock for the hatch.) Put a small monitor in the dash, maybe replace the center vents with a 5X5" unit. Just a random thought...

Steve

------------------
Steve's Trans Am Temple
Old 02-10-2001, 01:44 PM

Car: 92 RS, 02 Tacoma, 2 73 Porsche 914s
yes, have, and ive seen it done. expensive. 200-300 for a rearview mirror doesnt seem worth it to me. i saw it on a night rider car that had a 5 1/4 tv in it that was a rearview camera. Also, rv's and stuff have em. You could get a visor tv and figure out how to mount it and find a cheap camera off ebay or something. tell me how it turns out if you do it. it would be cool, but ide rather spend my money on other stuff.
Old 02-10-2001, 03:17 PM
Supreme Member

Well, I've seen the cameras for $60 and the monitors for around $80. Just figgered for another point on the "coolness" factor... Wonder if it'd pass state inspection or not? I'm just about out of other stuff to spend my money on... except for the twins... turbos that is...

Steve

------------------
Steve's Trans Am Temple
Old 02-10-2001, 10:03 PM

I'm with scauffiel. The main reason I do anything to my car is to just to have a project to keep me busy. If you're the only one with a certain mod on your car, it seems to me that its much cooler than doing what everybody else does.
Old 02-10-2001, 10:20 PM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could understand it if you had a car similar to a Camaro I saw in CarSound or something like that a while back. It had the entire hatch filled with amps and the backseat filled with subs, so you couldn't see w/ the mirror.
But why if you have an unobstructed view?
But hey, if it keeps you busy...
Old 02-11-2001, 09:09 AM
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jza:
But why if you have an unobstructed view?
But hey, if it keeps you busy...
</font>
The same could be said about modding your engine to go faster... Why? The one in your car gets you down the road doesn't it? Just looking for ideas/thoughts from people that, like me, like the idea of something different.

[And now back to your regularly scheduled posts about adding an open air element or maybe a post on what style of rims to buy... Haven't seen one of those in 30 minutes... ]

Steve

------------------
Steve's Trans Am Temple
Old 02-11-2001, 04:36 PM
Jza

That's hardly a comparable analogy. Modding engines, etc. for improvement is one thing.

In my opinion, the camera could decrease your ability to see, especially at night. Modding for "cool points" is what some people call "foof". I just have to agree with snflupigus and say I'd rather spend my money somewhere else.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Just looking for ideas/thoughts from people that, like me, like the idea of something different.</font>
But from your original post:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Anyone ever thought of doing this?</font>
And so I was answering your question: Yes, I've thought about it and here are my reasons why I rejected the idea.
But it sounds like you already like the idea, so then why ask just to turn around and defend it?

So anyway, does an open element air cleaner really make a difference?
Old 02-11-2001, 05:43 PM
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jza:
So anyway, does an open element air cleaner really make a difference? </font>
Oh yeah - "noise foof" if you like that sort of thing.

Steve
Old 02-13-2001, 04:20 AM

hey scauffiel, ever thought about a body drop?? thats different....(and never performed on an Fbody before!) i plan on hopefully doing the 1st body dropped 3rd gen whenever i finish customizing my daily driver truck sometime this year.
Old 02-13-2001, 09:05 AM
Supreme Member

What's a "body drop?" (Please God, I hope he doesn't mean lowering springs or I will cut my heart out with a spoon...) Do you mean chopping the top? If so, I've thought of doing that but the expense for something like that is pretty prohibitive for me. It would look pretty sweet if you were to drop the roof line about 3 inches though...

Steve "Just throwing money away at this point"

------------------
Steve's Trans Am Temple
Old 02-13-2001, 11:18 AM

Car: 92 Formula
Engine: L98
Transmission: A4
I have thought of doing that many many times!

I like cool things...
The camera Idea was something that I have been contemplating for a while... Only, I have got an old computer with usb ports..

After I finish college and drop in the 350, I'm gonna start playing with stuff like that... you know, 6in lcd screen, computer for rearview camera and MP3 player in that useless compartment (once the subs are in it will be useless).
The computer will be hooked up to a wireless(radio) keyboard and mouse... so the passenger can play with it or somthin....

For the computer, I could also get a diagnostic link for the 350 and use it to check stuff and change others... neat...
I have actually been giving a lot of thought to a good way to suspend a 3-4 gig harddrive in there... Daily driving will ruin a normal harddrive....

Camera would be neat...

BTW, Have you painted that car yet?

Later!,
Daniek

------------------
http://kiztope.50megs.com
92 Rs 3.1/T-5
KYB Shocks and Struts, Blue Streak cap and rotor, neato new radiator!, RapidFire plugs

An overhead console!!
Clarion Head Unit,
Pioneer 6x9's,Cerwin Vega Plate 4x6's
Its slowly but surely coming along....

AIM : Theonekiztope
Planetarion: 3GFB kiztope of kiztopia-Camera-92RS-A (33:6:14(?))

"No one knows until they learn" Leon Calrinsky (99)
Old 02-13-2001, 12:30 PM

I already thought of the camera and have it all ready to go into the car.

and the TOTAL cost is $35.

PS: it's so cheap because the camera is b/w.
but it's also infrared , which is exactly what I wanted.

I will have another one mounted infront (probably on the back of rear view mirror).

and I can view them through the 5" LCD screen that I also have to put in the car. (waiting for summer to start cutting up console and wires )

I will post pics as soon as its done

another thing I am doing at the same time is putting a PC in my car , 5000mp'3 , cd-rom drive so I can play normal cd's etc...

navigation system and some other small stuff.

already have all the stuff , now just have to get off my *** and put it in...
Old 02-13-2001, 12:51 PM

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Steve, I would say go for it. It would only compliment all of the other cool things that u have done to your ride. The idea of infa red also sounds interesting. I look forward to reading all about it on your web page. You know your gonna do it!!!!

BTW...what the heck is a body drop?

------------------
1986 Black & Gold WS6
Trans AM...The Muscle Car Lives
...Its just not at home at the moment...

www.members.home.net/nosaint
Old 02-14-2001, 03:32 AM

a body drop is the new age term for "channelling" which is a minitruckin or street rod style type of modification. It is when you drop the body over the frame. Lets say you want a 3" body drop, you basically raise the floor pans up 3 inches into the body, and any other metal right ontop of the frame has to be cut up 3" or raised up 3"s. So your basically lowering a car with a sawzall and a welder, instead of suspension lowering.
here is what a vehicle looks like with only airbags:

Here is what a vehicle with a bodydrop and bags looks like:
Old 02-14-2001, 04:35 AM

If I remember right, thanks to the F-Bods being unibody cars a body drop is impossible....
Old 02-14-2001, 08:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
They have a name for people who put camera's and TV's in thirdgens. They're called Knight Rider replica builders. Or as we call them... Dorks. Do something worth while, don't carve up the car because you can. It starts with a TV, then its a funny moving light, then GFX lighting, and then chrome fender trim, then you have the cast of Star Trek sign the hood... Don't lead yourself down the path to gayity.

Thats my opinion, its your car and you can do what you want with it.

------------------
Drew
The lone Thirdgenner of the Apocalypse
predatorman@hotmail.com
My Website
87 Iroc
91 Formula 14.3@98mph
91 RS Convertible
91 Firebird V6FOR SALE!
92 S10FOR SALE!
98 Grand Am GT

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited February 14, 2001).]
Old 02-14-2001, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Drew:
Or as we call them... Dorks.</font>
Uhhh... "We?" Who might that be? You got a mouse in your pocket?? Here's a post that I put up a while back, I think it's pertinent here as well:

[QUOTE} Originally posted by me:
Well, I don't know if you've been to my site or not, but I shaved the antenna and added a frenched power antenna to the passenger B pillar (you can just barely see it in these pix). I've filled in the body seams around the air extractors, the seams at the front and rear bumpers, and the ground effect seams. I've made clear side markers to replace my stock yellow/red ones (and blended them as well) and blacked out my taillights and front turn signals. Just need to shoot her in Metallic Pearl White with Pearl ghost flames and she'll be good to go.
I've spent a large amount of money and time on her. Once I get the 383 and built tranny in there I fully expect her to get stolen. That is just my style of luck. Guess I should really get that fuel pump kill switch installed, eh?

[As to being called "*****" - it doesn't happen too often with my car. The way I look at it is this: my car is an extension of me, therefore it will reflect me. If some people want to leave their car utterly stock and in perfect condition, fine. But that ain't me! Too many stock looking F-Bods on the road as it is - in my opinion. That's what it's all about anyway, opinions, and you know what they say about those. It just saddens me to see posts like, "Have money, help me choose wheels to buy!" Jesus, come on, can't even pick wheels that you like? How they expect someone with utterly different tastes to help them is beyond me. Besides, are they getting new wheels because they like the way they look or to impress others? Grrr... Anyway, sorry, I tend to babble.[/RANT] ][/QUOTE]

I would rather hear "Oh, that's different" than "Oh, another Trans Am/Camaro." Maybe you don't mind, but I do. You ever go to a car show and watch the people there? Most go up and gaze at the cars that are different or unique. The stock ones barely get a glance - which one is going to linger in the minds of the masses?? If someone prefers an entirely forgettable car, who am I to argue??

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Drew:
Thats my opinion, its your car and you can do what you want with it.</font>
Let me assure you that I have and I will!

Steve

------------------
Steve's Trans Am Temple

[This message has been edited by scauffiel (edited February 14, 2001).]
Old 02-14-2001, 12:42 PM

Hey, How are you able to hook up that camera for $35? I personally think it is a killer idea. If you don't like it that much, don't do it, but if youlike it, go for it.
Old 02-14-2001, 01:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
LOL and usually the extremely butchered "unique" cars become the punchline to a joke or two a week after the show.

------------------
Drew
The lone Thirdgenner of the Apocalypse
predatorman@hotmail.com
My Website
87 Iroc
91 Formula 14.3@98mph
91 RS Convertible
91 Firebird V6FOR SALE!
92 S10FOR SALE!
98 Grand Am GT
Old 02-14-2001, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

Hell, the extremely butchered vehicles are usually made fun of on the spot! At the very least people walk around them scratching their heads going, "What the hel...?"

Steve

------------------
Steve's Trans Am Temple
Old 02-15-2001, 01:04 AM

how would a unibody make it impossible to body drop it?
just about anything's possible automotive-wise...it would just be even more a pain in the a$$ to do it.
and i plan on doing it too, cuz nobody has yet and i would be the first.hahahhahahahWahahahahhahawawahahah
Old 02-15-2001, 09:43 AM
Supreme Member

What I think would be sweet (and I've considered it) would be to install air bags instead of struts/shocks. Turn off the engine when you park and it drops the car into the weeds, when you get in and fire it up the car raises to the point where you can drive it without ripping off your oil pan...

Steve
Old 02-16-2001, 04:53 AM

this is my reindition of what a body drop and bagged 3rd Gen may look like...
notice i also made the rear bumper lower to the ground to accent the body drop
Old 02-16-2001, 08:53 AM
Supreme Member

Damn! Like I said, it'd look great sitting in a parking lot, but I'm not sure how you'd be able to steer while driving if it were that low. Doesn't look bad though.

Steve
Old 02-16-2001, 03:24 PM

Car: 92 Formula
Engine: L98
Transmission: A4
that is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen.
Old 02-16-2001, 09:11 PM

Why lower 3rd gens? Their already ridiculously low

I mean speedbumps already kick my *** as it is..

Old 02-17-2001, 12:38 AM

thats what airbags are for, so you can drop it to the ground for a show stance, but raise it up for driving and still have decent handling
Old 02-17-2001, 02:27 PM

Car: '92 Typhoon/ '79 Vette
Engine: Turbo 4.3L/Forged 355ci
Transmission: 4l60/th350
hmm, every car show i have gone to i am skipping the stock because i have seen them. at dealerships. whats the point in stock? it is plain and boring. not to say it dosent look good, but it dosent look "damn thats sweet, i wish id have thought of that." good. there are things that are custom and look like ****, like the Trekie camaro in another post, and the shoppin cart wings and all, but i think a camera rear view would be sweet. i saw it on a PG dakota at a Local Tent sale and it was badase. the dakota did have a subwall behing the front 2 seats but i still like the camera. as for calling someone a dork because they like to customize thier ride shows a really closed short mind.

------------------
1985 WS6 Trans AM
T-tops
bone stock sloth of an engine LG4
T-5 tranny. thank god, i couldnt stand an LG4 auto.
Plans for an LT-1 or LT-4,
dual flowmaster exaust,
& a pounding stereo.
mods right now include a radar detector.