Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Battery Tray replacement/ General engine bay clean up questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans AM
Engine: Chevy 350
Battery Tray replacement/ General engine bay clean up questions.

Hey guys, Let me first off say I've been browsing your site for a while now and finally decided to join! So, Im undertaking my first project car. I bought a 1985 Trans am off my dads friend for 2500. I already yanked out the 305 TPI and got a 350 TPI from a 'Vette of the same year.

So now Im in the process of cleaning up the engine bay. The battery tray was rotted out so I cut that out and ordered a replacement from Classic Industries. I went to go put it in and much to my surprise its for the for the passenger side of the car. My tray is on the drivers. Also the trans dipstick tube that I ordered was too large and the part that bolts to the bell housing was on the other side.

What I'm trying to get out of this is anyone know of any site that sells the battery tray for the drivers side? While I wait for that any advice for cleaning up the bay? Unfortunately I dont have the space (still live with my parents) to gut the entire bay out and repaint it due to the fact there are like 8 people in my house and everyone likes to touch stuff that doesn't belong to them.

Is there anything I can do to make the bay look decent enough for the time being?

I know its a long post but thanks guys.

Last edited by LtDansLegs; 03-17-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 178 Posts
Car: '89 GTA
Engine: ZZ6TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 3.70:1
Re: Battery Tray replacement/ General engine bay clean up questions.

The driver's side battery tray isn't available new. You will need to source a used one. I got mine from Ebay, but you may also get one from Hawks, Thirdgen Ranch or another FBody junkyard. Camaros as well as Firebirds with carb or TBI had the batteries in the passenger side, so the driver side trays are usually in good shape. Drill the spot welds and weld in the new one.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I painted most of my bay when I had the motor out in September of last year. I scraped off all the grease and heavy gunk with a gasket scraper, then used brake cleaner to clean most of the remaining sludge out. After that I went in with a Scotch Brite polishing ball in a cordless drill to get down to the metal. I had to clean the ball a few times by spraying it with brake cleaner while spinning it on a piece of scrap wood I didn't care about once the ball became caked with sludge. Anything I couldn't reach with the ball I used a normal Scotch Brite pad on. I then used automotive primer and engine paint in spray-can form after I masked off anything I didn't want painted such as wires and hardlines.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

Have any pics on your project??