Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

'87 Firebird - Repaint or Restore?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
'87 Firebird - Repaint or Restore?

I recently purchased a 1987 GTA and it needs some body work. This is my first classic car and the first car I really care to put any work into. I have previous experience painting using spray application methods thanks to the military, so that's not the issue. The problem is I'm used to painting planes and not cars. I'm not sure whether or not I should strip off the old paint and redo the whole thing or try and fix the issues with the current paint. From what I've seen on this forum and others it's usually up to the owner, but since I'm new to this whole thing I figured I'd get a few opinions first. I'll attach a few pictures below as well.

The previous owner peeled off a decal on the hood and took most of the clear coat with it. His fix was two coats of plastidip, which looks kinda rough in good light.

Driver's side clear coat is peeling off.

Passenger's side clear coat is also peeling, but not as bad.

The worst visible rust spot on the car, above the driver's side rear wheel.

The roof is pretty faded and tiny spots of rust are appearing around the windows

The stock rubber aero-wing, I plan to replace the old rubber one with a fiberglass one soon.

There are also tiny nicks and scratches in several places all over the car, but the pictures show the worst of the damage. The driver's side fender has a long scratch and some rust where it looks like someone scraped the front end along something and never bothered to fix it. The underside of the hood has some surface rust, and the trunk is the same way, but both are easily fixed in my opinion. So referring to my original question, would I be better off repainting or restoring in this situation?

Last edited by krob95; 07-05-2016 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-05-2016, 05:30 PM

Car: 1985 trans am
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: '87 Firebird - Repaint or Restore?

Repaint for sure. That paint is not salvageable for any longevity. Might as well do it right the first time
Old 07-06-2016, 05:05 AM

That's about what I figured, especially because the paint is going bad all over the car and not just in one or two spots.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 352 Likes on 267 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

Wow ---- I just had to look twice after looking at your first picture !!! I just sold a VERY similar looking car a couple weeks ago- but it was to a guy in RI.

http://berlinetta.info/temp/87TramsAm1.jpg

P.S. Re-Paint !!

Old 07-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 722 Likes on 491 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

Looks like a nice hardtop GTA. 350 engine, so great platform. Go on and repaint it you will have a very nice car.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:28 PM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: V-6
Transmission: Auto

Paint with new emblems. It will look awesome!
Old 07-06-2016, 05:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56

What do you mean by restore, do you mean to restore the paint that is on there? If so, I say paint the whole thing...

Honestly, with all the work involved in spot fixing the issues then scuffing and painting, the next time I do it I'm stripping down to metal and epoxy priming the car, body work, and paint it once and for all.
I was a medic in the Canadian Army, and transfered to the Air Force and part of my new trade is refinishing... Figure I'll get my paint technique down on the governments time. The techniques are the same, but your prep will be more meticulous on the car, and your thicknesses of cover will be heavier on the car where weight isn't such an issue but durability and final finish are what you're after.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:30 PM

Nice to see where my taxes are going��
Old 07-06-2016, 05:32 PM

And definetely replace with fiberglass wing well worth the imvestment. Just got mine from showcars in canada and have no complaints about fitment and quality. Hawks has a 6 week delay in production department I was told... Know how that goes
Old 07-06-2016, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by WTR388
What do you mean by restore, do you mean to restore the paint that is on there? If so, I say paint the whole thing...
Should've been more clear, I did mean restore the existing paint. I was leaning towards a repaint anyways, and the more I research and read the more I like the idea of a completely fresh paint job.

Thanks for you opinions everyone!
Old 07-06-2016, 08:59 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56

Originally Posted by Matt trans am
Not really sure how you're taking it negatively. I have a career I enjoy and take pride in. After nearly a decade as a medic, my passion for the job died. After being on an active tour, the domestic work couldn't hold my interest and since I care about my productivity I needed a switch. It wasn't fair to patients that I didn't care enough anymore to better my knowledge or to be taking the position from someone that wanted to be where I was, so I switched.
So yes, after a year of training, I'm still learning, that means learning on the job, it just happens to be skills that I also use outside of work time, not sure what is wrong with having passionate people working in the military... If you're so worried about what your taxes are paying for, you should be more concerned about Mr. Golden boy and his groupies... Or the Wynne situation. Now THAT is something to be concerned about your tax dollars paying for.
Glad I don't live in ON anymore, my hydro bill last month was under $80!

Sorry for the hijack everyone!
Old 07-07-2016, 07:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 722 Likes on 491 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

I appreciate the service of all our guys in the military.Every tax dollar that goes to our military is due to them! Millions in this country live off entitlements ( many not even citizens here) that comes from tax money straight out of the pockets of hard working Americans like myself and you dare say this to a member of our great military. From someone who has personally lost family and friends alike fighting for our great nation I am greatly offended.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 305 LB9 AT Convertible
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: AT

WHAT?