Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Dreaded Front Fender to bumper question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans AM GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9-Bolt 3.27
Dreaded Front Fender to bumper question

I am currently trying to align the doors, fenders, hood and front bumper cover and it is resulting in a hell of a painful job....

I know that the fenders that I have a neither of a GTA and not of an 87-88. They are most probably of an early transam as the side vents are the long ones (ie. without GFX).
I also know that they are imitation fenders as the quality is a bit inferior and fit is not perfect. Will probably have to cut some parts where it meets with the top part of the hood to have smooth contour.
My question is related to the way how the front bumper fits. Was there a design change from the early to the late models apart from the louvers (which I now blanked)? My bumper cover has mounting holes which suggest that the fender should have a concave shape and making the bumper cover not fit properly. I am attaching pictures of what I mean. Is this normal, was there a design change or is it simply that the imitation fender is crappy? Driver's side is even worse as the mounting hole protrudes further outward.

Really appreciate you feedback.
Attached Thumbnails Dreaded Front Fender to bumper question-img_4416.jpg   Dreaded Front Fender to bumper question-img_4417.jpg   Dreaded Front Fender to bumper question-img_4418.jpg  
Old 11-10-2017, 11:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt
Re: Dreaded Front Fender to bumper question

My 92 is like that. I think the urethane just stretches over time for the poor fitment, not that it fit that great to begin with. You can try massaging that part of the fender to get the fitment a little tighter
Old 11-10-2017, 11:34 AM

Yeah these cars are known for the not so refined fit of certain parts.

Its good that you confirmed that the fender is like that also for 92 however I can see your 92 is a firebird not transam? I thinks your would be without GFX and my concern is that perhaps the models with GFX had different fenders.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

The steel fender, and the steel stud strip inside the bumper need to align, the urethane bumper is just kinda along for the ride. Instead of massaging the fenders to match the bumper, consider massaging the bumper cover. As I understand it, the urethane can be adjusted with a heat gun and caution. I haven't quite reached that point yet, but I've seen plenty of urethane parts that tend to sag a bit over time. Camaro front bumpers, and back bumper covers show it more than others. The Camaro front shows it easily since the bumper has a lot of flat areas that end up dipped in, under the headlights, and cross the middle between the lights, not to mention the front spoilers that start to sag, etc. In theory anyway, a person should be able to apply mild heat, while tenderly caressing the urethane back into position, then holding it in position until it cools - with or without artificially cooling the area. Just don't blame me if it bursts into flame or if the urethane melts into a gooey mass.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:50 PM

So the bumper is supposed to be flat where it meets the fender? It should be sandwiched between the steel bumper support and the fender so maybe the bumper cover will give in. Will try it out.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:31 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by aseychell
Yeah these cars are known for the not so refined fit of certain parts.

Its good that you confirmed that the fender is like that also for 92 however I can see your 92 is a firebird not transam? I thinks your would be without GFX and my concern is that perhaps the models with GFX had different fenders.
I have the W68 package, so it is the same nose as the TA/GTA. In 92 more Firebirds came with the W68 than without, so you can assume the other way for 92, lol
Old 11-10-2017, 01:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Drew
As I understand it, the urethane can be adjusted with a heat gun and caution.
I was thinking this too, but I didn't want to since you can melt the urethane pretty easy.

Originally Posted by aseychell
So the bumper is supposed to be flat where it meets the fender? It should be sandwiched between the steel bumper support and the fender so maybe the bumper cover will give in. Will try it out.
Yes, the bumper cover is actually supposed to be flat. I only suggested massaging the fender because it may be easier, but if you think you can do the heat gun, then I would go that way
Old 11-10-2017, 01:40 PM

Will see which method works best and let you know guys.

Am reading that 85 onwards had another difference in that the top bumper mounting bolt face was flat while the earlier models were sticking out like mine so it means that I have to flatten the fender and also the bumper or try to form a concave recess in the fender and leave the bumper alone.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

Your missing the reinforcement bar on this pic

Old 11-11-2017, 12:11 AM