Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Average price to install door skins?

Old 07-20-2018, 10:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: '89 GTA, '15 Camaro LS 6sp.
Engine: L98, LFX.
Transmission: 4L60, AY6.
Axle/Gears: 3.27's.
Average price to install door skins?

Does anyone here know the average price to get door skins installed at a body shop? I will strip my doors down to the shell and just bring them in. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:07 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac
Re: Average price to install door skins?

Trying to clarify...
You want to remove them yourself, have them make new ones and install?
I removed mine, thought they could be saved, but had too much damage and previous repairs. I went to an upholstery shop, I brought them all of the materials to redo the door, carpet / fabric, hardware L, etc... I did purchase cardboard backing (similar to factory stuff) and they made them... cost me about $350... But they are custom and only 1 set like them (mostly to match the custom color interior I wanted)

They do sell replacement door panels already covered for 3rd gens... if it's just a factory color, shouldn't be a problem, I believe Rock Auto has the best prices...

Rafael
Old 07-21-2018, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,160 Likes on 653 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Drag Car
Engine: 383 on Ethanol
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Currie 9 inch

He's talking about the door skin......the outside of the door itself.

I work at a body shop and I don't even know what the price would be.....I'm the painter there, and do zero bodywork. I can find out on Monday for ya
Old 07-21-2018, 09:55 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

Ah, sorry, too early to be operating computer

Yeah, a while back, these cars were a plenty in the salvage yards and you could just pick up a nice set... but those days are past and far / few and between at the yards anymore...

Rafael
Old 07-21-2018, 10:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

1) Get shitty doors for whatever very common vehicle from junkyard.
2) Order shitty off-shore doorskins for very common shitty vehicle from very shitty JCShitney.
3) Get 'Extravagant Dan' tooling from AutoBodyToolmart or 'Eastwood'.
4) Reskin JY doors with corny JCW garbage grade skins, until skill set perfected, then use newly developed skill set to reskin your good doors with good skins.

I would speculate with no working knowledge or experience, that once the edge of the skin is ground away, and the lap joint is peeled away, and the shell is cleaned up, putting the new skin on the shell with panel bond and folding the edges would be fairly easy to figure out...

Personally, I looked for thirdgen skins for awhile and didn't find anything in better shape than what I had, and they were mind blowingly expensive, so I picked up a junkyard door and then turned my attention to another part of the car until I cant put off the door any longer. LOL

You could probably scalp your NOS door skins for an obscenely ridiculous sum of cash, and just pay a body man to fix your existing doors, or buy a small island, maybe even a third world country.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by luvofjah
Ah, sorry, too early to be operating computer

Yeah, a while back, these cars were a plenty in the salvage yards and you could just pick up a nice set... but those days are past and far / few and between at the yards anymore...

Rafael
Yeah, I'm referring to the outer door metal skins. Actually, my GTA molded style door panels are still in great shape. I have a little separation from the inside on the fabric part due to age, but otherwise they look almost mint.

-mike
Old 07-21-2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
1) Get shitty doors for whatever very common vehicle from junkyard.
2) Order shitty off-shore doorskins for very common shitty vehicle from very shitty JCShitney.
3) Get 'Extravagant Dan' tooling from AutoBodyToolmart or 'Eastwood'.
4) Reskin JY doors with corny JCW garbage grade skins, until skill set perfected, then use newly developed skill set to reskin your good doors with good skins.

I would speculate with no working knowledge or experience, that once the edge of the skin is ground away, and the lap joint is peeled away, and the shell is cleaned up, putting the new skin on the shell with panel bond and folding the edges would be fairly easy to figure out...

Personally, I looked for thirdgen skins for awhile and didn't find anything in better shape than what I had, and they were mind blowingly expensive, so I picked up a junkyard door and then turned my attention to another part of the car until I cant put off the door any longer. LOL

You could probably scalp your NOS door skins for an obscenely ridiculous sum of cash, and just pay a body man to fix your existing doors, or buy a small island, maybe even a third world country.
I could do that, but I want the doors to be free of any bondo. If I have them totally reworked like that, it would probably cost just as much as what I would probably get by selling the OEM GM door skins. However, if I install the new door skins, I will have almost perfect doors before getting it painted.

I figure grinding the old ones off and crimping the new ones on would not be all that difficult. However, the skins need to be welded on in two or three areas up top and a tack weld or two put on near the flange on the sides. Since I do not know how to weld or have a welder, I would have to farm that part of the operation out to a body shop. However, I don't know how keen a body would be if I just handed them a door and told them to put a few tack welds on it. I would think they'd want to do the whole door skin install including welding it on.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by dagwood
He's talking about the door skin......the outside of the door itself.

I work at a body shop and I don't even know what the price would be.....I'm the painter there, and do zero bodywork. I can find out on Monday for ya
Thanks. If you could do that, I'd really appreciate it. When you do check on the price, tell them that I'd be bringing the door in to a body shop totally stripped down to the outer shell, no glass, wiring, linkage, handles or mirror. And, they will be already taken off the car.

-mike​​​​​​
Old 07-21-2018, 09:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikos_89
welding
3M Panel Bond. Look into it.