Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Fuel tank measurements for 4th gen swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1985 Pontiac TransAM
Engine: 400SBC 24x conversion
Transmission: T700r Stage2 Shiftkitted
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9 Bolt
Fuel tank measurements for 4th gen swap

Hi All,

I have an 85 Firebird originally with TPI motor that I've put a 24x converted 400 small block in, along with the gauge cluster from a VY Holden Commodore (in Australia) and in order for the fuel gauge to work it needs the newer style 240-30Ohm fuel sender unit.

I've looked into getting the plastic 4th gen tank and sender unit shipped across from the states, but I'm looking at $200-300US for the tank, and then a ridiculous $500US for shipping to get it here.

It's obviously going to be much cheaper to fabricate something up and still have change, so I needed to get a few measurements.

At the moment I've taken the -85 sender unit out, ripped off the sensor, and pop riveted the new style one from a holden commodore that was cut out of the plastic casing, and then bent the float to guess at where it is.

This works ok, but I want something a bit more stable.

I've looked at a bunch of pictures of the 4th gen tanks and sender units, and the sender units appear to be IDENTICAL in design and look to the Holden commodore ones here in Australia.

What I want to do, is remove my tank, cut out a panel in the middle of the tank where the current sender unit site towards the front of the car, and have a new panel welded in with the sender unit sitting towards the back of the tank, in the same place the 4th gen ones sit.

My questions are:
1) Is there any changes in shape from the 3rd gen tank to the 4th gen that would prevent me from doing this, as in, will the sender sit at the bottom of the 3rd gen tank if I go this route. (or to reword it, is the material the tank is made of the only real difference)
2) What is the height of the 4th gen sender unit from base to the top of the unit, and what is the depth of the tank.
3)What is the tank capacity for the 4th gen tank
and Last:
4) Is anyone magical in the sense they have the table of ohm value to fill level for the 4th gen I could use as a starting point for the gauge calibration?

I know this isn't the usual 4th gen tank swap but it's all I've got to work with for now. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:38 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1985 Pontiac TransAM
Engine: 400SBC 24x conversion
Transmission: T700r Stage2 Shiftkitted
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9 Bolt
Re: Fuel tank measurements for 4th gen swap

This is the commodore one i want to use:
Fuel tank measurements for 4th gen swap-ibbapga.jpg