Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Question about pulling off the front bumper assembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about pulling off the front bumper assembly

I see there is quite a few rubber fasteners holding the assembly on, is there a way to take them off to preserve them for re-installation or not ,if not where can they be purchased . Thank you very much for any help you can contribute.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Question about pulling off the front bumper assembly

They make special pliers to remove the push pins, but you can get them new from Auveco. I use the old ones on the family's daily beaters. LOL
Old 05-09-2019, 01:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 86' IROC
Engine: Supercharged 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45

You pull the center out with this, and most the time the outer piece comes with it. Sometimes it doesnt but a screw driver should pull the outer part out of it.
https://www.harborfreight.com/push-p...iABEgKOLvD_BwE
Old 05-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Thanks, took a look at it and I get what your saying, I have a crack and I'm trying to fix it without pulling the whole thing. If it doesn't work I'll pull the bumper. I'm realizing that the internet is a gold mind of ideas but also a goldmine of contradiction. The job is trying to strain out the best suggestions. Maybe the internet needs a internet to source it.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by jbander
Thanks, took a look at it and I get what your saying, I have a crack and I'm trying to fix it without pulling the whole thing. If it doesn't work I'll pull the bumper. I'm realizing that the internet is a gold mind of ideas but also a goldmine of contradiction. The job is trying to strain out the best suggestions. Maybe the internet needs a internet to source it.
Your probably gonna need to pull it off, fix it from the back(plastic weld or staples), and use bumper repair epoxy on the front.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by 86CamaroDan
Your probably gonna need to pull it off, fix it from the back(plastic weld or staples), and use bumper repair epoxy on the front.
Ok I ended up taking my small grinder and grind down to the depth of a fiber glass fill then epoxied the fiberglass. The finished product being flush. I have so far just left it that way, to see how it holds. So I'll let you know If your interested at all. Or if you just know it won't work let me know that also.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by jbander
Ok I ended up taking my small grinder and grind down to the depth of a fiber glass fill then epoxied the fiberglass. The finished product being flush. I have so far just left it that way, to see how it holds. So I'll let you know If your interested at all. Or if you just know it won't work let me know that also.
To be 100% honest with you, the first body work ive done with fiberglass is sitting on a shelf waiting to be painted saturday, so i have no experiance how long that type of repair will last. haha. I would think you would want something flexible in there. Where on the bumper is the damage?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by 86CamaroDan
To be 100% honest with you, the first body work ive done with fiberglass is sitting on a shelf waiting to be painted saturday, so i have no experiance how long that type of repair will last. haha. I would think you would want something flexible in there. Where on the bumper is the damage?
Actually it's next to the headlight at a bend that looks like it will have lots of protection from flexing but we will see, Thanks again for the great response.