Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Drum E-brake brackets different?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Jade Green---Trans Am Converti
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Drum E-brake brackets different?

I've finally got the 4th gen rear in the car. I purchased the recommended emergency brake cables for a third-gen disc car at the local parts store.

So if I route them through the guide brackets that are attached to the cover the very ends won't even come close to reaching the T-holder and the snap clips don't reach the body mounts. If I route them outside of the brackets and get them slipped into the body side brackets the ends go way past the T-holder.

They work right now routed in a weird sort of way, but the clip ends are about 6 inches away from the body mount clips and I will burn through the cable if I use it for too long. Basically if I clip them in the body mounts, the cables are too long. I could shorten them, but honestly to route them where they're clipped puts them in the way of a lot of things..

Did the original disc rears have different shaped body mounts? Maybe extra ones added on?

Thanks,

Kevin D.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Jade Green---Trans Am Converti
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
To provide a solution to the problem, here's what I wound up doing.

I routed the cables under the axle and into the drum rear body mounts. This angled the cables toward the ground, but a zip tie on the body mount right behind the clip (there's an open hole in the bracket) made them flow right in with the sway bar.

Now the cables are routed correctly, but too long. I removed the spring from the brake handle up top and turned the circle down so that I had about 8" of extra cable on the bottom end (needed when your driveshaft and torque arm are in place). I cut the stock cable end off on the line running to the handle and slid on two cable stop retainers. Make sure you wrap the end of the line with tape before you cut, or you'll have a real mess as the cable unwinds.

I slid the retainers up the cable to shorten it (about 2" did it for me), tightened down on the retainers, and hooked all the lines together at the 'T'. I now have an emergency brake again using the stock mounts.

FYI, this is a 4th gen LT1 rear on a 92 drum car, with 92 disc rear rake lines from Advanced Auto

Kevin D.