Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Converting from Bubble-Flare to ISO Inverted Flare

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: Hopes and Dreams
Transmission: Slush Box
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.27
Converting from Bubble-Flare to ISO Inverted Flare

Alright everyone. Once again I am redoing the complete brake system on a lovely thirdgen... We all know when redoing the rear line, the old fitings must be salvaged and reused, i.e. bubble-flared on the new line.. Not exactly fun.. Also, our brake hoses are a little expensive compared to others... Well, not really expensive, it's just about to get a little cheaper though... Well I'll start off with the parts i'm using... Another note, from the factory, the left rear caliper doesn't have a brake hose, I will be adding one... All part numbers and prices are based off of Advance Auto parts. Also, these parts have a wide vehicle application.. I listed the common one which was also the vehicle I looked up to find the parts... I spent three hours at work (AutoZone) on my day off to raid the parts and compare to find parts that would work...

Master Cylinder - 83-88 Monte Carlo - Cardone PN 101926 - $29.88/$6 core
Porportioning Valve - Wilwood PN WIL-260-8419 - Summit Racing - $39.88
Front Brake Hoses - 79-90 Caprice - Tru Torque PN H36846 - $13.97 (X2)
Rear Center Hose - 78-88 Monte Carlo - Tru Torque PN H99291 - $18.47

Rear Caliper Hose - Will find out soon, gonna be a little difficult though..

Now AutoZone has the Front Hose for $10.99, PN 77226... Rear Hose for $10.99, PN 77185... Natuarally Im gonna go to AutoZone for the hoses, and then get my 20% discount. The Master Cylinder will be bought at Advance since it's cheaper, and comes with the resovior, as AutoZone's doesn't..

With this setup, standard ISO Inverted Flare (45 degree) can be used, parts are actually cheaper, and are kept in stock.... Adapter lines must be used for the Master Cylinder, I will get the PN's when I buy them this Friday... By Saturday I will have a complete parts listing and prices for all parts used, including the lines...

However, two things have come to my attention.. The factory thirdgen front hoses are rather long. I will be making a bracket for it, but there will be enought lenght I hope so no interference issues will arise... Another option is to spend $5 more per hose, and $4 for 2 adapter fittings to bring it to the ISO Flare... . Another thing that came to my attention is the rear hose... On my last TA, I used the OEM parts, but didn't run it to the bracket. I had no problems and I highly doubt I will again this time, even with the Monte Carlo's hose being 1 inch shorter...

Ill try to borrow a digital camera and take pics of the install as I complete it... Hope to have it completly done by Sunday... Except the porpotioning valve, which will be purchased two weeks later...

-Bobby
Old 05-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Not to rain on your parade or anything, since you did all this research, but....

82-83 F cars are ISO flare.

In other words, just go get 82-83 Camaro/Firebird stuff, put it on, done. No need to worry about whether parts for some other chassis will fit or not.

You can even buy stainless braided flex hoses from Earl's, instead of crappy stockish rubber ones.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:38 AM

Well ya didn't rain on my parade, thanks for the info.... Like I said before, I'm trying to make this as cheap as possible... I looked up all the hoses for a 82 F-body, they are still more expensive and need to be ordered... Damn AutoZOne won't give a employee discount on ordered items... They suck... I know about the Earls hoses, but I'm not looking to spend $100 for just three hoses and still need two more...

OK, so if the 82-83 F-bodies are ISO Flare, then what is the fiting size of the rear hose??? Will it accept standard 1/4" line???

-NOTE, Im just trying to get this thing on the road for as cheap as possible. It's all getting changed over the winter....
Old 05-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Supreme Member

The reason the F car hoses cost more, is because they're QUITE A BIT longer. They don't follow the same routing at all. I suspect that you may think you're saving money by buying those others, but you'll find out that you really didn't.

No I don't think the rear line is a std ¼". Rather, I think it's a std 3/16". I seem to recall that to put a rear end from about a 91 or 92 into my 83 car, I got the last 8" or so of hard line off the newer car, cut the same amount off of my car's hard line, and used a flare union of that size to hook the newer short section to the ISO line. Then used the late-model Earl's line for 84-up.

I could be wrong, after all I'm so faking dom that I don't know much about anything; but I don't think you're going to save any money by (a) converting all the lines over in the first place, or (b) doing the whole job twice. I'd recommend doing it just once, leave it all the size that it is unless it all HAS to be replaced ANYWAY for some other reason, and be done with it.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:30 PM

3/16"front to rear line.....Hmmm. Should be 1/4". If it's 3/16" ill switch to 1/4" like my car was originally desined for...

I would go with all stainless lines and stainless brake hoses, but currently funds prohibit it and I need to get the car on the road fast...

Well I suppose i'll order all the hoses in for the 82-83, they are still a bit cheaper than what my 88 calls for.....

I realize the F-body has long hoses due to routing and such, I was just gonna see it the shorter hoses would be long enough to work with proper routing...
Old 05-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Supreme Member

1/4" like my car was originally desined for

I thought yours was metric? Maybe 6mm like everybody else's car?

And I can definitely tell you that the metric size is slightly smaller than the ISO size; I recall that had a helluva time getting it to flare, because it was too small for the flaring tool to grip it.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you're going to get a 10" hose to work where a 20" one is designed to go. Just a thought, though, I'm no expert on such things as hose length.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:25 PM

Yeah, well it almost equates to a 1/4" line. Last time thats what I had used to bubble flare the new fittings on... Well I find out this weekend if anything is gonna work....