Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Steel brake pipe fittings - metric or imperial?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steel brake pipe fittings - metric or imperial?

Hi there

I've just got a set of Earls braided brake lines to fit on my 88 Firebird (with standard discs on the front and drums on the rear). I started to try and fit the rear centre line today and the brake fittings are well corroded and seem impervious even to mole grips. The one fitting that did undo sheared the pipe it was attached to!

So I'm thinking I will have new pipes made to go from the rear drums to the junction block on the Earls line, but ideally I'd like to leave the main brake line running down the length of the car alone. Unfortunately This is also completely welded to the original hose and I'm thinking it will probably at least need cutting and a new fitting putting on and the pipe re-flaring.

So 2 questions:
- Anyone know of a flaring tool that I can use under the car that will flare the original steel pipe (preferably that I can get in the UK)?
- Are the pipe fittings metric or imperial? Does someone know the exact sizes used?

Thanks in advance for your help
Pete
Old 09-01-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 84 TA,69 camaro,81 vet 92 vet
Engine: 400
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:73
Re: Steel brake pipe fittings - metric or imperial?

Well I have a dealer printout I got yesterday (another story) it says metric size lines, 84 and up 6mm steel.
The only way I have found to get old brake fittings apart is heat. Where I use to live they loved to put salt and sand on the roads in winter so really made a mess of things under car. I use gas welder to heat fitting (steel line connector) when it gets red hot I through a cup of water on it. They are different matherial and cool at different rates and seperate.
I also coat fittings with never stick (its call by many different names) it's silver stuff so next time they come apart easy.