Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

complete brake overhaul in progress

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
complete brake overhaul in progress

I am beginning to gather all the needed parts for a complete brake overhaul on my 91z28. It used to have a drum rear but has since been swapped out for a 4th gen LT1 disc rear. My plan is is upgrade the front using a complete C5 Z06 kit from bigbrakeupgrade. I also plan on replacing ALL the lines under the car with new stainless ones if they are available. My question for you brake experts is this.... should I swap out the master and booster with a 4th gen style? I already have it but never thought about installing it until I read a list of mods a member did to his car and the M/C booster from an LS1 car was listed.

What are the pros and cons of using the LS1 combo?

Has anyone had any experience with the places online that sells complete brake line kits? ie inline tube, classictube, fineline inc,?

This upgrade will be documented here as soon as I can gather all the needed parts.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Supreme Member

Re: complete brake overhaul in progress

I finally got the car in the garage and up on jack stands. I havent driven my car in just over 3 years so it is very dirty and hasa lot of surface rust on various components but here is a couple pictures of the condition of my front and back brakes as it stands now. You think they were doing me any good?? I think not. I have 90% of the C5 brakes for the swap. I am just waiting on Scott at BBU to make me my 5 line kit and then I will be ordering a new 5 piece hard line kit from thirdgenranch.
I am on the fence about putting the 4th gen (LS1) master and booster I have here in. I have to do some research on that. The rear LT1 brakes will be replaced with stock replacements for to keep the cost down at the moment. If the calipers are not frozen then I will just freshen them up and put new rotors on. Stay tuned....

Old 08-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 1983 BB 1995 Z28 Camaro's
Engine: 454-350
Transmission: TH350-4l60e
Axle/Gears: 373 posi-Stock

Hello Bottled, are you close to any large bodies of salt water? Those brakes do need some attention. I just have one question for you if I may be so bold. When you switched to the disk brakes in the rear was it quite a noticeable difference from the drum brakes?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Edwardgp
Hello Bottled, are you close to any large bodies of salt water? Those brakes do need some attention. I just have one question for you if I may be so bold. When you switched to the disk brakes in the rear was it quite a noticeable difference from the drum brakes?
I live about 8 miles from the beach. I havent driven this car on the road in 3 years and during that time, it sat in a very humid garage or outside. I live in Mass so things dont last long around here.

As for the difference in braking from drum to rear, it didnt get better due to the fact that I never modified or changed the prop valve. I never had a lot of clamping force on the rear disc but I just dealt with it. I will now be modifying the valve with a different spring to see if it helps out at all. I will also be changing out the larger 1/4" drum brake line that runs under the car for the smaller 3/16" line that all rear disc brake car had.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:50 PM

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Automatic

If you still have the old rubber lines put them back on and rebleed. Then clamp off the rear rubber hose, bleed the front, if nothing changes in pedal travel leave rear clamped and clamp right front and bleed left, if nothing changes clamp left line off and bleed the right. If nothing changes you have eliminated the calipers/wheel cylinders or calipers/calipers. I have replaced a few remanufactured master cylinders that have done this very thing. They were bad from the store.

Oops wrong thread, stupid phone. Sorry to op.

Last edited by Jbuchanan; 04-15-2019 at 08:54 PM.