Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Borg warner iron calipers, no clamp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro
Engine: 350 SBC
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10Bolt, Torsion, 3:43
Borg warner iron calipers, no clamp?

Just rebuilt my iron calipers for the rear, but they will not compress fully. It seems like only the pad on the piston side is contacting but the outer pad is not touching. Very poor braking is resulting and i can turn the tire while pressing the brakes. The e brake is also nearly useless and have pulled it MANY times to adjusting them with no luck.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:16 PM

Re: Borg warner iron calipers, no clamp?

hey are the j65 if I rember right. delco marine?
Old 07-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Yes, J65 is the RPO for disc brakes.

Yes, Delco-Moraine is the division formerly of GM, now of Delphi, that designed that system. (a piece of Dayton Engineering Laboratory Co., named after a facility including a GM assembly plant in Moraine OH, a suburb of Dayton OH)

Sounds like you might need to pull the parking brake MANY more times. Not sure myself how much it adjusts each time, or even, if there has to be some tension built up in the thing before it will ratch the ratchet thing in there; instead, might have to pop the calipers back off and adjust em out somewhere close by hand first, before the "automatic" system will be able to start doing its job.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:28 PM

You seem like a man with the know on this. How might I go on adjusting these calipers? I read previously that a wrench can be taken over the threads where the e brake sits ( once removed) and a bolt over the wrench to hold it down. It can then be adjusted this way? if that makes any sense?
Old 07-03-2015, 09:31 AM
Supreme Member

That, I'm sorry, I do not know. I know about the tool for adjusting them the other way (out, to spread them, so new thicker pads will fit), but I don't remember how to adjust them up to take up the slack if the above adjustment went too far. It's been so long since I last saw them that I can't recall their details.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '91 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI w/LT1 cam
Transmission: T5 swapped in
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.27 w/discs

I adjusted mine by removing the e-brake lever and turning the shaft. Be careful, the shaft must be held "out" or it will just thread into the caliper.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:20 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: One owner '88 IROC 50k
Engine: L98 with bolt ons.
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42 again

Apply the service brakes ( brake pedal) firmly ( at least 50 lbs pressure with engine running for the power boaster to work). Apply parking brake at least 3 times hard pull. Let off brake pedal THEN let off parking brake. Might have to repeat a few times. It does work however. Then use parking brake every time you park. They will work big time better
Old 07-19-2015, 07:26 PM

I appreciate all the help! I got them adjusted and working. Yet I have another problem now. My brake petal is very soft. Occasionally it stiffens for a moment but I am nearly to the floor at every intersection. any ideas? would air cause this to? I've bled the system several times..
Old 07-20-2015, 06:31 AM
Supreme Member

Yes air can cause that.

Main source for that problem is usually letting the master cyl run dry while working on something at the wheels. Because of the angle the cyl is mounted at in these cars, the fitting for the line is NOT at the highest point of the cyl; therefore once the air gets in there, it is for all practical purposes IMPOSSIBLE to remove by bleeding. You can bleed 50 gallons of fluid through the system and the air will stay RIGHT WHERE IT IS, unaffected in the slightest.

If that was allowed to happen to your car, you need to remove the MC and "bench bleed" it. This consists of: clamp it in a vise, level; install plastic fittings and tubes to take the output that would go toward the wheels when installed, and dump the fluid back in the reservoir; pump it until air quits coming out through the lines and bubbling up from the inlet holes in the bottom of the reservoir; put it back on the car with the plastic lines still installed; remove the plastic lines one at a time and as quickly as possible hook the car's lines back up; then bleed the whole system completely again, making sure not to let the MC run dry again.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:21 PM

but this is strange. the brakes will be to the floor when im coming to a slow stop from a low speed. but as I stop at a higher speed the brakes become much more responsive. the inconsistency is making it difficult to identify the problem.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:39 AM
Supreme Member

Did bench bleeding help it out?
Old 08-05-2015, 07:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

"If that was allowed to happen to your car, you need to remove the MC and "bench bleed" it. This consists of: clamp it in a vise, level; install plastic fittings and tubes to take the output that would go toward the wheels when installed, and dump the fluid back in the reservoir; pump it until air quits coming out through the lines and bubbling up from the inlet holes in the bottom of the reservoir; put it back on the car with the plastic lines still installed; remove the plastic lines one at a time and as quickly as possible hook the car's lines back up; then bleed the whole system completely again, making sure not to let the MC run dry again."

I think I did just that very same thing! Thanks Sofa for solving MY issue. I left it go dry while bleeding mine after total brake system overhaul. I feel so stupid now. And yes, 50 gallons, didn't help!
Old 08-05-2015, 10:37 PM
Supreme Member

I feel so stupid now.
Please don't do that!!! You're not "stupid", just, learning.

The mark of intelligence is, you just realized you learned something you didn't know, and you're smart enough to admit it.

Not knowing stuff is OK: we're all born that way. There's no shame in not already knowing everything there is to know. Not learning stuff when it's spoon-fed to you... now THAT'S a different matter.

Glad to be able to pass along my hard-won knowledge (from back before Algore invented the Interwebz) that it took me about a half-dozen brake jobs to learn THE HARD WAY, that now, smart people can learn by just reading what I type if they choose. I SURE wish such a thing as bulletin boards had existed back in my coming-up daze. Some of these young guyz just have NO IDEA how tuff it was for us OLD GUYZ to get better at this back in the day.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:55 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt Borg Warner Posi 3.27

Quick Question....

Why can't you "bench bleed" the master cylinder while its on the brake booster?

It seems to me that you could hook up the bench bleed plastic lines (as you would while on a vise) but use the brake booster (brake pedal) while the engine is running and pump the brakes?..?.. the piston from the brake booster pushes in the master cylinder just the same as a screw driver on a vise doesn't it?

Why would this not work?

Thanks...
Old 09-01-2015, 06:14 AM
Supreme Member

Because of the angle the cyl is mounted at in these cars, the fitting for the line is NOT at the highest point of the cyl; therefore once the air gets in there, it is for all practical purposes IMPOSSIBLE to remove by bleeding. You can bleed 50 gallons of fluid through the system and the air will stay RIGHT WHERE IT IS, unaffected in the slightest.
Which letter of which word requires further explanation?
Old 09-01-2015, 10:03 AM

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt Borg Warner Posi 3.27

Ok, after reading the quote again, I understand... It is simply the angle to which the master cylinder is mounted onto the brake booster that prevents bleeding it while mounted. So, you could in theory, just jack up the back of the car to make the cylinder level if someone didn't want to disassemble the system.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Last edited by RED85TPI; 09-01-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:34 PM
Supreme Member

In theory, that's true... unfortunately, in REALITY, the back of the car would have to be about 4 - 5 feet above the front, to tilt the MC all the way to level. So yeah, if you've got a jack like that...