Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

LS1 carrier Brackets with C5 Disks?

Old 03-28-2016, 03:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Iron 5.7 LS
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 4th gen rear, 3:42s, Torsen
LS1 carrier Brackets with C5 Disks?

Sorry but I didn't find this in a search.

I have C5 calipers with no brackets and the Camaro brackets are much cheaper and easier to find (RockAuto). Has anyone designed a spindle bracket to use the Camaro abutment brackets with the 13" C5 rotors? I know the 12" Camaro rotors would be more than adequate, but to be honest I just want the look of the bigger rotors since I can fit them with my 17" ZR1s.

Thanks and sorry if this has been covered.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: LS1 carrier Brackets with C5 Disks?

mock it up and make it yourself.. it's just 4 holes in a piece of steel.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by novaderrik
mock it up and make it yourself.. it's just 4 holes in a piece of steel.
I'm aware of how to do it, I just figured if it had been done why not take advantage? Work smarter not harder.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 camaro sports coupe
Engine: Fast Burn 385
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ 3.27 gears

lots use big brake upgrade, they have 3rd gen specific conversion parts. You can use C5 calipers with an LS1 setup if you want to use 12" rotors. LS conversion and caliper brackets, and C5 calipers. The calipers interchange, very similar castings with exact same mounting spots in regards to the caliper brackets. (abutments?)
Old 04-03-2016, 05:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Allegedly the LS1 and c5 calipers are the same design, just made via different methods. They *should* interchange according to everything I've read. But you're stuck with LS1 rotors, and the LS1 adapter bracket location interferes with the steering stops on the A arm.. the C5 setup is a lot better in general, disregarding what I believe to be nearly zero performance benefit.

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 04-03-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:06 PM

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
Allegedly the LS1 and c5 calipers are the same design, just made via different methods. They *should* interchange according to everything I've read. But you're stuck with LS1 rotors, and the LS1 adapter bracket location interferes wit hteh steering stops on the A arm.. the C5 setup is a lot better in general, disregarding what I believe to be nearly zero performance benefit.

The C5 and LS1 calipers are similar and will interchange for the most part. The LS1 caliper is a gravity cast and uses 44.5 mm pistons, while the C5 is a pressure cast caliper using 40.5 mm pistons. The C5 caliper uses more ribs over the bridge to strengthen that spread point, and also uses a couple of cooling fins on the caliper bores.
You can can see the differences on the calipers construction now that time has passed and they have been exposed to the elements, on average the pressure cast calipers hold up better, alot of the LS1 calipers have erosion problems near the banjo inlet and over the bridge.
The difference you will see from using the LS1 caliper over the c5 is increased pedal travel but also with that increase in travel comes a much more sensitive pedal, once in that sweet spot. The C5 caliper with its smaller pistons will give you a higher firmer pedal with some decrease in pressure or sensitivity. This is not a problem because its home is on a 13 inch rotor that naturally gets more leverage advantage over the LS1 on a 12 inch.

One potential hang up about using the C5 caliper on a LS1 is the cooling fins run into the caliper bracket and must be ground off, not a deal breaker but its a consideration. I also have to disagree about the C5 having no performance difference, its larger rotors have more mass and curved cooling vents that advance air thru the rotor for superior cooling compared to the LS1 rotor, so with small but noticeable attributes in the calipers and the rotors makes the C5 a step above, both work great no doubt but most of my Lemons, chump car, SCCA and NASA racers do use the C5 brakes.

OP- PM me, I have a place where you can pick up the C5 abutments for a decent price if your inclined.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Supreme Member

Scott it is my understanding that if you use the LS1 brackets, you're stuck with the LS1 rotors. Is that not the case?

Id be impressed if anyone could notice any sort of empirical performance difference between them... I wouldn't bet money that they couldn't, but I dont think in a double blind test you could tell which was which. You could certainly tell they are different, but I'm not sure about which is better. I could be wrong... I'd have to actually use both to know for sure.

Good to know on the other details though. Im running some of your parts on my car.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
Scott it is my understanding that if you use the LS1 brackets, you're stuck with the LS1 rotors. Is that not the case?

Id be impressed if anyone could notice any sort of empirical performance difference between them... I wouldn't bet money that they couldn't, but I dont think in a double blind test you could tell which was which. You could certainly tell they are different, but I'm not sure about which is better. I could be wrong... I'd have to actually use both to know for sure.

Good to know on the other details though. Im running some of your parts on my car.

You are correct, the abutment has to remain with the rotor, as well as the adapter bracket for that abutment. You can switch the calipers all day long though. I`d guess I could tell if they both used the same master cyl, because I could tell the pedal drop difference but if that were accounted for, no.. on the street on a blind test you may not find a difference but once you lay the heat to them for a good amount of time, the C5 brakes would continue to perform where as the LS1`s would start fading earlier, imo. 4th gen guys have been dumping the LS1 brakes all along and cutting spindles to drop on the C5 brakes, so maybe its the "corvette logo" that makes them the better brake

Interesting, that this came up..the camaro vs corvette brake today. Just today I put together a set of new 6th generation brakes. The 2016 Camaro SS brakes on the third gen spindle, they are just about the same as the C7 Z51 brakes but Like the C5 and LS1, the SS has a little less rotor technology than the Z51, but aside from that I`m not finding much else.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:56 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by BBU.COM
You are correct, the abutment has to remain with the rotor, as well as the adapter bracket for that abutment. You can switch the calipers all day long though. I`d guess I could tell if they both used the same master cyl, because I could tell the pedal drop difference but if that were accounted for, no.. on the street on a blind test you may not find a difference but once you lay the heat to them for a good amount of time, the C5 brakes would continue to perform where as the LS1`s would start fading earlier, imo. 4th gen guys have been dumping the LS1 brakes all along and cutting spindles to drop on the C5 brakes, so maybe its the "corvette logo" that makes them the better brake
Less fade is a significant difference in heavy usage... I'll keep that in mind. I guess I was being a bit careless saying "nearly zero" performance benefit.

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 04-04-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

Interesting, that this came up..the camaro vs corvette brake today. Just today I put together a set of new 6th generation brakes. The 2016 Camaro SS brakes on the third gen spindle, they are just about the same as the C7 Z51 brakes but Like the C5 and LS1, the SS has a little less rotor technology than the Z51, but aside from that I`m not finding much else.
That sounds interesting - what was involved in the fit-up? Can you use the Z51 rotors with the SS Calipers? I'm pulling together the pieces to build a track car and one thing I will want to do is upgrade the brakes.

Post pics if you can.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD
That sounds interesting - what was involved in the fit-up? Can you use the Z51 rotors with the SS Calipers? I'm pulling together the pieces to build a track car and one thing I will want to do is upgrade the brakes.

Post pics if you can.
Yes Z51 rotors and SS calipers, actually thats what I did. The SS rotors are solid and use the 2.65 center hole which requires machining to open to allow fitment on the third gen hub. So the Z51 rotor is a natural, right hub hole and a better design. The calipers do require some machining to fit the bracket that I do on the mill but aside from that very easy set-up to do.

2016 Camaro SS brakes with Z51 rotor
Old 04-04-2016, 06:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

Just checked out your web site - cool stuff!

We'll be in touch when the time comes.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by Grant2k
I'm aware of how to do it, I just figured if it had been done why not take advantage? Work smarter not harder.
it took me a couple of hours to make my brackets, i would have had to work more than that to earn the money to buy the brackets at the job i was at..

besides, making stuff is more fun than buying stuff.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by novaderrik
it took me a couple of hours to make my brackets, i would have had to work more than that to earn the money to buy the brackets at the job i was at..

besides, making stuff is more fun than buying stuff.
I'll be making the brackets for the spindle, it's the abutment brackets I'm trying to locate now that I know the Camaro parts won't work with the 13" rotors. Either way I'm fabricating the spindle end and milling the rotors into hubs myself.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:32 PM

Car: 87 IROC
Engine: LT1
Axle/Gears: LS1 10bolt w/ 3.73

bumping this thread,

I have drawn up a bracket based on the LukeStaff design. Lukes page has all of the dimensions one would need to make it work. Basically take the LS1 bracket, and increase the radius of the caliper holes by 1/2" The C5 rotors have less offset if you will, so the spindle bracket can now be made of 1/2" plate instead of 3/8".

So, i am asking the experts, is there anything i am not seeing here? The LS1 and C5 calipers are "the same" their abutment brackets carry most of the differences hence the different spindle bracket, and the C5 rotors seem to be much better designed. So my targeted combo- LS1 calipers, abuments, C5 rotors, custom spindle bracket.

Edit- when i say increase the radius of the caliper holes, i mean they need to move 1/2" outward (actually less, .435") obviously keep the hole centers the same and the size the same, just move them outboard.

Last edited by tglennon11; 12-31-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:19 PM

I think that because of the size of the C5 rotors the LS1 abutment brackets just won't work. So you can use the LS1 calipers either way but the abutments need to go with their intended rotors or the pads will hang off the disk. I found them pretty affordably, I'll post a link with I get a chance.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:30 PM

I guess i just dont understand. I understand the abutment brackets make the difference, but if C5 calipers and LS1 calipers are "interchangeable" what the is the factor that keeps them different?

Check out this link- http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/5...nd-C5-calipers

seems like what i described should work.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by tglennon11
bumping this thread,

I have drawn up a bracket based on the LukeStaff design. Lukes page has all of the dimensions one would need to make it work. Basically take the LS1 bracket, and increase the radius of the caliper holes by 1/2" The C5 rotors have less offset if you will, so the spindle bracket can now be made of 1/2" plate instead of 3/8".

So, i am asking the experts, is there anything i am not seeing here? The LS1 and C5 calipers are "the same" their abutment brackets carry most of the differences hence the different spindle bracket, and the C5 rotors seem to be much better designed. So my targeted combo- LS1 calipers, abuments, C5 rotors, custom spindle bracket.

Edit- when i say increase the radius of the caliper holes, i mean they need to move 1/2" outward (actually less, .435") obviously keep the hole centers the same and the size the same, just move them outboard.

I see no reason why that would not work.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:00 PM

I see no reason why that would not work.
that's my thought. I'll mock it up first and see what it looks like. Might need 1/2 plate and some shims now that I'm looking at the rotor heights.

reading a few of the other threads it seems this has come up, pocket even posted a bracket for th z51 rotors w ls1 calipers. Just no results yet.