Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

FlyNBye vs The Right Stuff rear disc conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FlyNBye vs The Right Stuff rear disc conversion

I'm working on a rear disc conversion for my 85 z28. Because I'm running 15" factory wheels I'm going to go with the stock size rotors and single piston calipers. I've narrowed it down to two kits,

http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/i30.html

or

The Right Stuff Detailing AFXDS78 78-88 G body, 82-87 Camaro / Firebird 10 bolt, 90-92 Camaro / Firebird, and 82-92 10 bolt S 10 rear disc brake conversion with drilled and slotted rotors
by The Right Stuff Detailing
Link: http://a.co/52pHOhy

The Right Stuff kit seems a bit more robust but I'm not sure its necessary complexity. Any thoughts on these two options?

side note: I'm leaning to FlyNBye because they are active on these boards.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: FlyNBye vs The Right Stuff rear disc conversion

Don't lean to FlyNBye based on board activity. No offense to Ed, but I wouldn't say he's currently active on the forum. He's pretty difficult to get ahold of at all, really. After my last order I sent him an email, and... crickets. No response what-so-ever. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/afte...ormance-2.html It is, what it is, don't expect great customer service or wicked fast response time from FlyNBye.

Ok, so now that is out of the way... The Right Stuff kit sure looks like it uses a variant of the Delco-Moraine iron calipers. If that's the case, I wouldn't waste my money. I wouldn't waste my money to even risk finding out that maybe I just wasted money on DM calipers. Ed's kit uses PBR calipers. There's no way to reasonably compare the two. PBRs are fantastic, and DM are the lowest form of scum sucking, yellow bellied, squirming rotor squeezing garbage to ever ride into this sorry forgotten town. It's really something when GM, corporate superpower, contracts with PBR out of Australia to provide brake calipers, because the Delco equivalent is so bad someone is about to get lynched at GM.

Nothing wrong with drum brakes. They work. Delco-Moraine's don't work most of the time.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:10 PM

II get that DMs aren't ideal but its what I have in the front, though I would imagine you'd suggest going with PBRs for the front as well? I'm open to the idea.

I guess the question is would the same brackets from FlyNBye that I linked work with PBR calipers? Do the PBR and DM calipers have the same mounting pattern and use the same rotors?

I had written off the PBRs since I didnt they they would fit under 15" wheels but upon thinking about it more I would guess thats more of a function of rotor diameter and not caliper.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Car: '87 FIREGOOSE!!!!

Could always bounce some ideas off of Scott from bigbrakeupgrade, he's fantastic to work with and knows these cars for brakes. And does help you to choose some ideas if you don't wanna spend too much cash, or an all out kit.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by nbressette
II get that DMs aren't ideal but its what I have in the front, though I would imagine you'd suggest going with PBRs for the front as well? I'm open to the idea.
The reason the front calipers work, and the rear calipers don't work has everything to do with the parking brake mechanism. The DM parking brake mechanism has to be tuned exactly right to function. Even still they're just so-so brakes. The PBRs will fit 15" wheels. Provided that you're dealing with thirdgen PBRs (aka 1LE). The #1 limitation of thirdgen PBRs is cost and availability. More so for the front than the rear. The 1LE front brakes are pricey compared to everything else, and there are relatively few options for caliper carriers and adapters, compared to something like 98-up PBRs that are cheap, plentiful, and have more options for adapters. Aside from fitting inside 15" wheels, the 1LE brakes really don't have much advantage over the LS1 PBRs.

I guess the question is would the same brackets from FlyNBye that I linked work with PBR calipers? Do the PBR and DM calipers have the same mounting pattern and use the same rotors?
The FlyNBye brackets only fit PBRs, either 89-92 thirdgen calipers or 93-97 "LT1" calipers. The 89-97 calipers are basically the same, but 93-97 used a slightly larger rotor and have the cooling "heat sink" fins or stiffening ridges milled down to clear the wheels. The DM brake system (82-88 thirdgen rears) use tiny rotors. 89-92 use larger rotors, and 93-97 are larger still. The #1 benefit over DM calipers is that PBRs actually work. The parking brakes actually work, and the calipers work. That they are much easier to deal with during pad changes is just a bonus.

I had written off the PBRs since I didnt they they would fit under 15" wheels but upon thinking about it more I would guess thats more of a function of rotor diameter and not caliper.
As mentioned above, Thirdgen PBRs will fit inside 15" wheels. LS1 PBRs require at least a 16" IIRC. Other options can require larger wheels. You may want to choose wheels first or brakes followed by wheels, but they need to match up reasonably well.

I don't have time to go into it much more right now, but there's a lot to read on the subject if you care to dig in... Go forth and study - https://lukeskaff.com/projects/car/t...brake-upgrade/ Ask questions as needed, I'll check back later.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:16 PM

First, thank you for taking the time to guide me in the right direction, if I were going to 16" wheels I'd have more options but I really want to keep my 15" factory wheels.

OK you've sold me on the third-gen PBRs, looks like I can get third-gen 1le calipers from rock auto for $100 each. Combine that with Ed's brackets (which may take some time to get), and a set of 1le 11.6" rotors, I have to get new rear hard lines anyway, a set of 1LE parking brake cables, I already swapped in a rear disc portioning valve (thought I may swap this for an adjustable one), and lastly a set of earls braided lines and the rears should be up to snuff.

Then as time allows before the project is done I'll update the fronts to 1le as well, I'll worry about what parts / pieces when I get to that point.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 camaro RS
Engine: RAMJET 350
Transmission: RAPTOR 700-R4

I have 15" wheels on ls1 rear pbrs right now. It clears by hairs. It doesnt seem to drag on the caliper