Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Low-end components or high-end coaxials?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Low-end components or high-end coaxials?

Well, it appears that I have a bit of a dilemma. Not only am I having difficulty deciding on a sound configuration, the Almighty Dollar has entered itself into the equation. For roughly the same amount of money, I can purchase either a lower-end component system or a higher-end coaxial system for my vehicle. Let me elaborate a little bit.

Component: Infinity Reference 5000cs 5.25" woofer and 1" tweeter. This system comes with passive crossovers rated at 3500 Hz. Because I still have rear speaker holes to fill, I'd add a set of Infinity Reference 5002i's to round out the package (I want to keep everything the same model line). Summed up, four woofers and four tweeters. Lower-end.

Coaxial: Infinity Kappa 52.5i 5.25" speakers. I'd need two sets of these. Not much else to say. Once again, four woofers and four tweeters. Higher-end.

A 10" subwoofer will complete the system. It's only being used for a little extra bass; I'm not into super-loud subs. I will be amplifying each pair and using an electronic crossover to divide the frequency range between the subwoofer and the rest of the speakers. In the case of the component system, I'll just run the tweeters off the head unit, using the included passive crossover. Should the tweeters be disabled on the coaxials in this setup by adjusting the crossover point to a lower frequency (thus allowing only the "dedicated" pair of tweeters to function)?

The big question: Am I better off with a half-component, half-coax setup or a completely coax setup? Are the low-end and high-end variances noticeable? I'm concerned that the tweeters in the coaxials may not accurately image as well as the component tweeters. And, I'll confess... this isn't for my Camaro, it's for my Jeep Cherokee. I figure the concepts are identical, and I'd be asking these same questions if I redid the speakers in my Camaro.

I hope that wasn't too long .
Old 12-06-2004, 07:37 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Listen to both and decide. Neither one of those is "high end" in my mind, but neither is all that bad either.

For around $150, you can get a set of CDT CL-61a components, which I think would be a big improvement over both of those. I think they also have the same thing in a 5.25" size for a couple bucks less.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 357cid
Transmission: T5 Swap
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 7.5" 3.23 soon to be 3.73
well just for reference i have audiobahn abc525t components($80 @ www.etronics.com) in the front of mah car will no rear fill and a non powered 12 in the well area in a tube. a pioneer H/U runs it all

even with the speaks in a not teh best location area it all sounds really well to me. the mids are good and the highs are crisp and the bass its still powerful.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Supreme Member

Jim, I haven't heard of CDT before, but from what I've read in the Car Audio archives, several people (like you) really like them. I also considered Boston, but I don't think I can afford it.

I think I'm going to go the component route... I just don't know what to do about rear fill. Since this is in a Jeep, I'm not sure the front door speakers would create a full-enough sound in the rear of the vehicle. The rear speakers are located way in the back, right above the lift gate hinges. I might just have to listen once I install the components.

Does rear fill, if it's necessary, require the use of tweeters or simply midrange?
Old 12-06-2004, 02:04 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Do you drive from the rear of the car? Unless your rear passengers are giving donations, I wouldn't spend money on rear speakers, especially at the expense of better front speakers.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Jim85IROC
Do you drive from the rear of the car? Unless your rear passengers are giving donations, I wouldn't spend money on rear speakers, especially at the expense of better front speakers.
Good point. I think I'll worry about rear fill last, if at all.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:23 PM

Car: 91 Caprice Wagon
Engine: L03
Transmission: soon to be T56
Exactly!

Listen to them and decide then.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:08 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 LG4 & 92 TBI Firebird
Engine: The Mighty 305!
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Maybe those in the back seat are giving something other then donations

If you've got the wattage, I'd dump all your money for good comps up front and just stay in the front seats.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Banned

If your going for infinity stay away from reference, I had a full set in a different car and ALL BUT 1 speaker cracked and my vehicle was garaged most of the time