Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Stereo gurus inside please: confusing problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo gurus inside please: confusing problem

Ok so I just put in a Pioneer DEH-P650. It is powering up just fine however whenever I hit bumps it causes the speakers to cut in or out. The old radio had a blown channel and only the right side speakers worked on it. I thought it was a wiring problem so I removed all the butt connectors and soldered all the wires together and it is still doing it. I plugged the old cd player back in and the speakers do not cut out. I took the cd player in to be bench tested and it worked fine they on the bench and they tapped it and wiggled the wires and it wasnt cutting out. All 4 of the speakers cut out at the same time and it is only the speakers cutting out the power to the unit remains on and seems fine. What the hell could be causing this? When they bench tested it they did use one of their harnesses to plug in the back of the unit and not mine so I was thinking it could be the harness but the guy said all the connections looked good on the one i have. Ive been fighting this thing for 2 days now and I cant figure it out. Please help. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2007, 03:19 PM

Car: 72 Fbird. Want another 3rd gen :(
Engine: Poncho 350
Transmission: Turbo 350
Re: Stereo gurus inside please: confusing problem

did you check your ground? a ground thats not completely clean or has a rough connection may do it i beleive
Old 09-14-2007, 10:17 PM

ground is good, like i said the power to the unit doesnt shut off its just the speakers only.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:54 PM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird S/E
Engine: 305 carb'd V8
Transmission: 4-speed auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

Doesn't matter, Bandit is right. Check the ground wiring. I doubt there will be anything wrong with the unit itself especially since you've had it bench tested.

And by grounds I mean speaker grounds and speaker positives also. This happened to me once before where one of the butt connectors was missing it's rubber boot and was a little too close to the metal. If you hit a big enough bump the speakers cut out. It drove me nuts until I found it by complete accident. Either one of them touching metal can cause interference (that loud whine) or have the speakers cut out.

I taped those suckers up with some electrical tape at the time and I never had the problem again.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:20 AM

well there are no connectors on it anymore, I soldered all the wires together and taped them. Now that you mention it though one of the back speaker wires were just twisted onto the speaker Ill check that. Maybe it doesnt cut out with the stock radio cause that speaker doesnt work with that one cause the left channel is blown.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:08 PM

Car: 1997 Grand Prix GTP (for now)
Engine: 3.8 sc

stock radios are also a bit more forgiving on shorts (but that could also be what killed the channel?)
Old 09-15-2007, 03:00 PM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird S/E
Engine: 305 carb'd V8
Transmission: 4-speed auto
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by archemedes
stock radios are also a bit more forgiving on shorts (but that could also be what killed the channel?)
Yeah, good point also.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:22 PM

Car: 72 Fbird. Want another 3rd gen :(
Engine: Poncho 350
Transmission: Turbo 350

yeah i meant grounds on the speakers, but id still check the ground on your headunit, or just try ground the headunit somewhere else, that would take all of 5 minutes to do, and if its still the same at least you know its not that