Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Car PC (infotainment) build..

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Car PC (infotainment) build..

Originally Posted by 86White_T/A305
looks good rockstar08, i love centrafuses multi sourcing feature.i would have 10 things going on it from movies or playlists etc...switch between them and it plays right where you left off.i do prefer some of the newer skins available..might make my own to suit the cars personality more one day.
Multi source, or stacking as i've come to call it, rocks! I don't know of any other system that uses it, given the technology in a regular car audio/nav system I don't think the manufacturers have caught up to it yet.

This really sells the features on the software, i've been asked to build some more units based on this design.

I have thought about skinning, i've not really found anything I like yet other than the default, alot of the ones i've seen look pretty crap. May be you could point me at some good ones? I guess it just takes time and a bit of design to produce something good.

Originally Posted by 86White_T/A305
what version of windows are you using and how do you like that startup and shut down times?im upgrading to win 7 and changing the power supply settings for shutdown length....using win xp on my system isnt all that great for hibernating after being off for too long.my powersupply fully shuts down to protect the battery after its off for 5 mins
Currently using windows vista on the Camaro, just because I had a copy laying around. I've built 2 others using Win 7 Ultimate, you really can't tell by using Centrafuse what OS is what. They both hibernate in 30 Secs with 4gb of memory, I might drop this down to 2gb to see if I can shave a few more secs off. But really it doesn't matter, because as soon as the key goes out of the ignition the touchscreen powers down anyhow, so the user doesn't see it hibernating in the background.

I've found that vista does not like to resume from hibernation after completing an update that requires a reboot, I have automagic updates turned on for security as I connect to many wireless networks. With this turned off in its current state it works flawlessly.

My PSU is set to ignore poweroff (debounce) for the first 30 sec, when turned on, and fully powerdown 5 mins after hibernation. As it hibernates to disk it resumes successfully. The ignition is wired to the PSU as well as its own fused 12 rail from the car battery.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 65 Nova Wagon
Engine: 358
Transmission: 350 turbo
Axle/Gears: 410

Nice build... I have thought about a similar build on my vert
Old 07-30-2010, 09:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 TransAm Ttop
Engine: 2005 LQ4
Transmission: Ls1 T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42

yea my ign is wired to the psu aswell.for quick shutdown and startups it will resume without having to reboot.but over night it wouldnt do it.win 7 ultimate has a much faster boot time and i dont have alot of programs opening on startup so im looking to cut as much time off as i can.

ive done a few small lil tricks for mine using my factory gta amp turn on button is now my carputer on/off,and the slider is my reset button lol.im also adding another switch somewhere hidden to turn the screen off incase "the man" notices anything while im driving.

for now i still have to spend sometime mounting the carputer in the underdash on the passenger side and then mold the panels back on around it to make it look decent again.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Transmission: Automatic

So I was looking at this unit as well, but it seems an odd choice for someone whose going double din? The whole point of this unit (if that is the 1-din version that it appears to be) is to fit in older vehicles. You could have bought the 2 din version (if you didn't) or got a non-chinese off brand unit.

I'm more considering this for my bronco, for the camaro i'll probably just get a really nice single din media player.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 TransAm Ttop
Engine: 2005 LQ4
Transmission: Ls1 T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Talk about bringing a thread back from the dead lol.Well at this point I can say i have since ditched the carpc life last yr and went with a android radio. Simply because I dont drive the car much anymore and an easier/cheaper way to have alot of the samethings I was doing with my carpc. But the carpc technology out now is extremely more capable than ever. You would spend more to make the system than a basic app based headunit. Possibilities are endless.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Transmission: Automatic

I don't know how I ended up in this thread... but this is not the thread I meant to post that reply in

Definitely wasn't trying to bring a 10 year old post back to life